• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Not sure of next steps - 17 year old sun conure

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
If she's having hard time walking on flat surfaces does your cage have a grate?

When I introduce babies to a cage for the 1st time I layer newspaper and paper towels(paper towels are for 2 reasons - One so the ink doesn't stain up the babies (had that happen -makes em look dirty) and 2 for an easy clean up - but just Paper towels isn't thick enough so thats what the newspaper is for

I leave it folded in half (the newspaper) and place a few sheets down to cover the entire grate then layer 3-5 sheets of newspaper(really depends on how many babies are in the cage for the mess factor) and I leave it like this for several weeks until they learn how to walk around better, once they start climbing around the cage bars, I leave One section of grate uncovered, and gradually move to a completely uncovered grate

Not sure if it would help her but it helps the babies, because when they go from Brooder to cage they're still a bit unsure of how to walk on different things so it helps them from "staggering" when they walk.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Willie went downhill midday so I rushed her to an entirely new avian vet who I have since discovered is one of the best in the country. She does NOT believe Willie has cancer at all - instead she believes she had ovarian disease that caused a terrible infection. She said the antibiotic she was currently on is has been just enough to keep her from dying but not getting her well and now she is critically ill. She gave her sub-q fluids, an injection of antibiotics. She's down to 96 grams now and horribly emaciated. We now have an entirely new treatment plan. A new antibiotic, calcium, handfeeding (which i was able to complete successfully tonight) and fluids.

For the first time I feel like we actually have a plan and that the vet is competent. I'll keep everyone posted.

Vicky Chai Tea

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vicky
Oh my gosh! This whole thread is heartbreaking. *hugs* I truley hope that she pulls through for you... and wow, this just reminds me how important a GOOD avian vet is.

HeatherM74

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Heather
I'm sending prayers for Willie! I hope with the new vet and the new plan that she will recover and be back to normal!!! :hug8:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
update? I'm praying the new vet can turn her health around in time.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Sitting her trying to research reproductive problems in conures and am thankful for the supportive comments. I'm feeling really upset with our first avian vet and hoping that it's still possible for Willie to survive. The first vet was recommended by two local vets - it's not just someone that was convenient. It angers me that Willie was probably misdiagnosed since August and that my frequent calls, visits to her office, and many email exchanges prior to yesterday didn't yield better results. The new vet indicated that the biggest error in the first vet's judgement was not regrouping after Willie produced an egg. She said that it would be extremely rare for a bird with liver cancer to start producing eggs after never laying an egg in her 17 years of life. I questioned the first vet several times and was told that it did not alter her opinion that Willie was dying of cancer and the treatment plan should remain the same. For all the bird moms and dads out there - follow your guts - and don't give up until you find a vet who explains things in a way that makes sense to you.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would research the use of antibiotics, without replacing good bacteria to the gut. It is essential for the flora of the gut to be in proper balance. Antibiotics strip this out.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh wow, jsut reading all of this and I am so happy you finally found a vet with some answers. Poor Willie, and I can tell how much she means to you....

It all kind of reminds me of what I went through with Kiwi, first the eggs, then prolapse, then an ovarian cyst, then cancer....it was exhausting and just so draining. But one of the things that helped pull my through was my wonderful vet...so glad you found one too.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so very happy you found a different avian vet....I had a feeling it was a reproductive issue....please keep us updated..and many many prayers coming.. :hug8:

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Anne, I tried to send you a private message telling you the news but I haven't been on this forum long enough to do so. You were the first to say something about this. If you can refer me to any information on the web about this, or have any other advice around that topic I would really appreciate it. I searched quite a bit last night and found very little.

Willie is doing pretty well this morning. Her eyes look clearer and brighter. She ate and drank quite a bit on her own. She's certainly bit me harder when I gave her a medicine - I'll take that a sign that she's gaining some strength.

Rebecca

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm SO Glad there is improvement and You found another Vet:hug8:Here is some info(I dont know if You already found it) But if not-I hope it helps:hug8:

about

Redbird

Meeting neighbors
She prescribed metronidazole and she improved dramatically, but we have experienced a roller-coaster - some days she seemed completely well, other days she seemed near death.
Metronidazole is not meant to be a long term antibiotic!

When you changed vets and antibiotics what did the new avian vet prescribe? What is the infection being treated? Treatment duration? Again, if the bird has an infection is should be kept warm, hydrated and must eat, whether on it's own or with human intervention. I also suggest probiotics should be started, confer with your new avian vet.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I also suggest probiotics should be started, confer with your new avian vet.
Exactly. I didn't want to be too pushy, but metro can really do a number on not only the bad bacteria, but the good as well.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
I really don't think the original vet expected her to live and never took a real interest in her care. Yesterday at the hospital she received an injection of Piperacillin. She prescribed Baytril twice a day starting last night. The new vet believes this is the best treatment for the type of infection she believes Willie has. She also believed that the Metronidazole would never have solved her problem. I am also feeding her 3cc Kaytee Exact formula three times a day (I hand fed her as a chick so we're doing pretty well with that) plus 3cc water three times a day (spaced a few hours apart), plus a calcium supplement. She is also eating and drinking alot on her own. She has been resting most of the day in the little area I created for her but not laboring to breathe like she was yesterday. I'm feeling very thankful that she is still here 24 hours after seeing the vet yesterday.

The treatment plan is to contact the vet first thing on Monday morning (unless I am unable to give her the food, water and medicine she prescribed or she worsens) to discuss whether she is strong enough to go in for x-rays and bloodwork.

I just looked over and she is eating a piece of papaya with her foot, after walking across her cage without stumbling or using her beak. For us, that is a reason to celebrate.

I will ask the vet on Monday about probiotics since she has been on antibiotics since mid-August.

Thanks everyone.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Willie made it through another night and is looking pretty good this morning. She is doing soooo well eating her hand feeding formula. The new vet said that birds who are ill are more likely to accept formula as adults. Even more so if they are fed by the owners who fed them as chicks. I had asked her previous vet about putting weight on her and she offered nothing. If only I had known...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You are a wonderful parront:hug8:

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Our sweet little girl is still with us! She is really steady on her feet now. Only used her beak a few times yesterday when moving around the bottom of her cage. Can climb all around the interior walls and do her signature fireman pole move (sliding from top of cage all the way down on a cage bar) with ease. She was moving around preening yesterday when no one was looking (yes, we have a Williecam that I can access from anywhere, including on my iPhone). She is much stronger, eyes are clear, abdominal swelling seems to be reduced. Regroup with the new vet today.

:dancing:

Rebecca & Willie

Redbird

Meeting neighbors
Nice to see your bird improving. Sorry you had to find out the hard way about avian vets and avian care, very few see symptoms the same. Many rely on past experience for their continuing education. From your posts it appears the combination of antibiotics are working to control infection. Your vet may wait until this round of antibiotics is concluded to do further testing. Your history of the actions for the last couple of months may yield a clue for non evasive testing that can be done while the bird is improving. Fecal and gram stain should be showing a low bacteria load at this point. Cultures and sensitivity testing would be skewed with all the antibiotics. PCR testing for a known bacteria using fecal mass may yield a positive should the vets current diagnosis warrant.

Ask your vet about probiotic and the need for an antifungal since your bird is immune compromised from antibiotics. ACV should be discussed!

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
She's preening, purring, playing. Tears of joy here...:)

Talked with the Vet today specifically about her current status and whether we should bring her in today. Agreed to follow up with a long list of questions I have (including about probiotics).

Bottom line is that we're going to hold off until Thursday on the blood work and radiographs (unless something changes).

Status
Not open for further replies.