• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent NON URGENT scary morning

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Sweet Pea has been in eggie mode for weeks. This morning I was making blueberry lemon dream for dessert on angel food cake.
She was in her cage with morning's breakfast, chopped spinach, broccoli leaves, sweet potatoe mash, worldly cuisines, dill, a whole carrot. Any ways I came into the living room for something. She was bleeding. I grab her out of the cage, whipped into bathroom. There is blood all over place around her cloaca. I was able to get the bleeding under control. I held her while I called the clinic, Dr Tony was with patient but Dr Barb wasn't. I had quick snapped a couple of pics texting them to her. She said look in the cage for egg. Yup one bloody soft shelled eggie.
She called Nick who lives close by, I put Sweet Pea in travel cage, with bloody egg and went to ER vet close to me . Dr Barb had called them so Dr Angela knew we were coming. We didn't sit long in waiting area. Dr Angela took Sweet Pea out of her cage. Examine her, took her in the back, did a quick calcium test, flushed her cloaca, cleaned her up. Came back told me, she's low calcium, needs antibiotic shot, calcium shot and too stop laying eggs. Ok that is alot to process. She got both shots, and antibiotics to take 2times a day. She recommended calcium carbonate liquid, but the price from her clinic was outrageous. Nick called Dr Barb to find out their price. What I paid was $14.97(16oz) flavored mango at Walgreens for that exact same thing that at ER clinic that was $39.95 for little bottle unflavored. WOW.
She is home, madder then all get out, has had her calcium. Will get her antibiotic tonight. The egg is with Nick who is taking to my clinic. Both birds have appointments on Saturday. Been a VERY LONG DAY.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow glad you were there and knew to act quickly. You are not one to say "I have no avian vet in the area or I have no money for a vet" Good job Laurie and I hope she feels better soon. You too!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Wow glad you were there and knew to act quickly. You are not one to say "I have no avian vet in the area or I have no money for a vet" Good job Laurie and I hope she feels better soon. You too!
Thank you she sure scared the P out me. She doesn't like the calcium but tough you are getting them.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I have to thank Nick publicity I was blubbering mess, he kept me calm and held Sweet Pea for both shots. I'm bringing dessert for clinic Saturday, blueberry lemon dream and angel food cake.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How do you make that cake? I sounds yummy! Angel food cake is my favorite along with pound cake.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
How do you make that cake? I sounds yummy! Angel food cake is my favorite along with pound cake.
I'll put the recipe in the recipe section later. It's nummy

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I have a question, because I didn't buy the calcium from ER clinic, she didn't give information for it. Nick drew off the first dose but I wasn't watching darn it.
I think this is what he drew off 0.50 mls dose that sound right?
20180626_165953.jpg

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sweet Pea, now you’re scarring mom! I’m glad she will be okay and I hope the eggies can get under control somehow. Knock it off little Pea!
:hug8:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
So glad you took that Sweet girl in fast so she can be okay with the meds! You were smart to get that calcium carbonate elsewhere! I can only imagine what the bill will be, but no matter, she okay now, thank goodness. Hope someone can tell you about the dosage. I had never heard of this stuff, wow, used to treat indigestion, and also as a calcium supplement.. might have to check it out. Okay... now who has the answer to the dosage?!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So glad everything is okay. Poor wee thing. After that ordeal she probably doesn't want to lay any more eggs :)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Dr Barb is at a function will not be home until late. Dr Tony didn't answer the phone. "G" is at the same function. Nick is studying for vet application, he turns off his phone. Left messages for all
@Birdbabe

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Laurie, you don't need to be precise with the calcium carbonate. If you just give her .5ml until you can talk to the vets, it will be fine. You can't OD with Milk Thistle, CA carbonate or DMG.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about Sweet Pea, the egg laying and the blood. It's good that you were able to get help quickly. Hope she is doing better.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Wow I hope all will be okay after meds.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Hankmacaw , thank you. She is under light blast for the next 4days. I was setting up her cage when Nick dosed her. She had her antibiotics at 6pm, baytril, it was fight, going get some baby juice tonight.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How lucky you knew what to do and acted fast. Hope all is well with the poor little sweet pea.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
So glad you took that Sweet girl in fast so she can be okay with the meds! You were smart to get that calcium carbonate elsewhere! I can only imagine what the bill will be, but no matter, she okay now, thank goodness. Hope someone can tell you about the dosage. I had never heard of this stuff, wow, used to treat indigestion, and also as a calcium supplement.. might have to check it out. Okay... now who has the answer to the dosage?!
Its the same thing that is in Tums.