• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New Rats - Not just pets

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I couldn’t decide where to post this since they aren’t regular pet rats. They will be breeders for snake food. Some will also be pets. I decided here because I didn’t want to upset the furry critter area haha

The first one that started it was a rejected feeder rat. She was super sweet so decided to keep her instead of trying again in a week. Had to get her friends and then decided if I was already going through the work of caring for rats I’ll just breed them for snake food too. I have 60ish snakes so it’ll cut some cost for me from buying them frozen all the time.

I’ve had pet rats off and on for years and love them! I now have 6 females and 2 males. I’ll be pairing them up soon so will have baby rats incoming. They had a minor ri from the breeder so I’ve been treating that before pairing them up. Also, plan on testing everyone for Seoul (virus that affects humans but not the rats) that was going around fairly recently. I have the test kit but need the antibiotics to flush out of their system before grabbing blood from everyone.

But anyway pictures! Blues & dumbos are my favorites so I’ve bought mostly those:)

The original problem that started all of this! Named her Munch.

Passed out with Penny the friend I bought for her off craigslist.

And then some of the other girls from the breeder. I don’t have a photo of the extra albino girl because I bought her as a feeder (along with 2 others but she’s the last one now) for the ball python. If she’s too big for him to take in 10 days she will be a breeder instead of a feeder.

The boys! I love these boys:heart: Cole is the blue one and Leo is the fawn colored one.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I’d get too attached. I think dumbos are the cutest little things!
Yeah I picked up blues and dumbos since I like them but it will definitely be hard when it’s time to cull for freezing. I probably made it even harder for myself picking my favorites:banghead:

The boys will stay Upstairs. I will probably replace them with their sons so they can just be pets. Male rats have always been a favorite!

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Those are some beautiful rats. Such intelligent and cuddly animals. I couldn't do it.
Eh just the circle of life. Sure I’ll feel sad to see them being food sometimes but I also know it’s just what they eat. I also know rats that have eaten snakes, their cage mates, taken down birds, attacked cats, and all that other fun stuff. Rats can be vicious little things not just cute and cuddly. But I know not everyone can do it. Not even all snake people can do it. I also have no problem feeding snakes to other snakes if that’s what they eat naturally:)

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Eh just the circle of life. Sure I’ll feel sad to see them being food sometimes but I also know it’s just what they eat. I also know rats that have eaten snakes, their cage mates, taken down birds, attacked cats, and all that other fun stuff. Rats can be vicious little things not just cute and cuddly. But I know not everyone can do it. Not even all snake people can do it. I also have no problem feeding snakes to other snakes if that’s what they eat naturally:)
Yes, I know what snakes and rats are capable of eating in the wild.The only thing is, in the wild they have a fifty fifty chance of being eaten, or escaping. By keeping them caged you just lowered that percentage.

I also don't think it's fair because these are not wild rats being given to the snakes. It's kinda of like 'can hunts'. JMO.

You said you have sixty snakes. Are you a Herpetologist?

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I feed frozen. So I either euthanize the rats or buy them frozen. They never had a chance in the first place. So you can just make that percentage zero for the ones that are feeders. In the wild life is difficult for both rats and snakes. I’m not interested in debating that nonsense with you. You don’t like having pets and all that entails join PETA. If you are already a member that explains so much about you and the crap you comment.

Just to say it’s not just wild rats. In captivity too they will go after snakes and birds. You can find plenty of pictures of snakes being partly eaten by the rat that was dropped into a tank. It’s why being in the room and checking to make sure it was actually eaten by the snake has to happen. Even macaws aren’t safe from a rat that wants to give it a go. I’ve had my pet rat tear apart a cat just because she could. By the time we got them separated there was serious damage to the cat. People think just because they are pets the instincts aren’t there lol. Rats aren’t just prey they are also miniature hunters.

Honestly you aren’t a huge reptile fan so why don’t you just ignore the posts instead of making every single thread about them some nonsense debate. I’m not interested in your opinions on the matter and you obviously have no common sense, so this will never get anywhere.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
They're super cute, and I'm sure the snakes will appreciate them. Though 60 snakes :eek: how often do they get rats? I don't know how many babies rats usually have, but your group doesn't seem like enough. :wacky:

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
They're super cute, and I'm sure the snakes will appreciate them. Though 60 snakes :eek: how often do they get rats? I don't know how many babies rats usually have, but your group doesn't seem like enough. :wacky:
Some of the snakes get mice or rabbits, and one gets lizards. I’m not sure I’ll ever breed mice myself they stink so much, and rabbits are pain in the butt. Lizards even more so lol My rat eaters are mostly the ball pythons, beauties and boas. The boas once on rats get fed anywhere from 3-8weeks depending on size/age. The colubrids every 10 days-2weeks. The ball pythons every 2-4 weeks depending on size and age.

I only have enough girls for one breeding group but have plans for enough space for about 5 groups (3-4 females in a group) with one grow out cage. Then the upstairs cage will be eventual retired female breeders that are pets and the boys will have a cage upstairs. I know some people leave the boys in 24/7 but I haven’t decided if I want to do that or not. I’ve seen a lot of different numbers but 10-14 a litter seems to be pretty consistent with what I see people sharing.

I have a pretty large supply of frozen rats right now in the freezer (probably about 300 rats) so there’s a buffer for getting some litters going and growing up.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Honestly you aren’t a huge reptile fan so why don’t you just ignore the posts instead of making every single thread about them some nonsense debate. I’m not interested in your opinions on the matter and you obviously have no common sense, so this will never get anywhere.[/QUOTE

Of course birds are not safe from rats! They are not safe from just about every animal out there.

I have owned many different kinds of tortoises and lizards, so your "honestly you aren't a huge reptile fan" statement is moot.

No, I don't believe that snakes, especially the large ones, should be owned by just anybody. Unless you are a herpetologist or work for a zoo, I don't believe you should own the large snakes, especially sixty of them. They are not pets and should not be considered one. They belong in their native habitat. As, do, RATS.

But your hostility is duly noted, and I won't be replying to this post anymore.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Honestly you aren’t a huge reptile fan so why don’t you just ignore the posts instead of making every single thread about them some nonsense debate. I’m not interested in your opinions on the matter and you obviously have no common sense, so this will never get anywhere.[/QUOTE

Of course birds are not safe from rats! They are not safe from just about every animal out there.

I have owned many different kinds of tortoises and lizards, so your "honestly you aren't a huge reptile fan" statement is moot.

No, I don't believe that snakes, especially the large ones, should be owned by just anybody. Unless you are a herpetologist or work for a zoo, I don't believe you should own the large snakes, especially sixty of them. They are not pets and should not be considered one. They belong in their native habitat. As, do, RATS.

But your hostility is duly noted, and I won't be replying to this post anymore.
Personally, I think all 'exotic' pets should be living in their native habitats, birds included and parrots especially. However, that ship has sailed a long time ago! They can't go back to the wild. So isn't it our duty as their caretakers to give them the best life possible? There are so many snakes in need of need of homes and simply not enough herpotologists to take care of them all. And if you feel that snakes should only be taken care of by herpotologists, then why are tortoises, lizards and other reptiles excluded from that list? Wouldn't that mean that all exotic animals, birds included, should only be taken care of by professional zoologists?

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
To the op: I was wondering how common thus was among snake caretakers. Even though it is very practical, I feel like that would be very hard emotionally. On the one hand, you can have peace of mind knowing that you have those rats the best life possible while they were alive. On the other hand though, it has got to be more emotionally difficult than feeding frozen/thawed! :huh:

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
To the op: I was wondering how common thus was among snake caretakers. Even though it is very practical, I feel like that would be very hard emotionally. On the one hand, you can have peace of mind knowing that you have those rats the best life possible while they were alive. On the other hand though, it has got to be more emotionally difficult than feeding frozen/thawed! :huh:
Breeding rats is a lot of extra work and of course emotions is a factor. The extra work isn’t worth it for most keepers and money wise the worth isn’t there until you have enough snakes. I spent about $400 on just smalls and medium rats the last time I ordered them, so the cost is about there for me. I’ll still be spending money on mice, rabbits, lizards, and sometimes small pigs if they don’t have rabbits but some of the cost should be easier on me. I feed conservatively with my snakes too, so I’ll probably have enough extra numbers to sell a few as feeders or pets too. I only order rabbits about once or twice a year. The lizards are the real money pit. My wolf snake won’t switch to frozen or live mice though....honestly she probably shouldn’t they eat mostly lizards in the wild. The nutritional content between mice and lizards is very different so I’m inclined to continue lizards even if she did switch but it would be nice if she took mice too:rolleyes:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Breeding rats is a lot of extra work and of course emotions is a factor. The extra work isn’t worth it for most keepers and money wise the worth isn’t there until you have enough snakes. I spent about $400 on just smalls and medium rats the last time I ordered them, so the cost is about there for me. I’ll still be spending money on mice, rabbits, lizards, and sometimes small pigs if they don’t have rabbits but some of the cost should be easier on me. I feed conservatively with my snakes too, so I’ll probably have enough extra numbers to sell a few as feeders or pets too. I only order rabbits about once or twice a year. The lizards are the real money pit. My wolf snake won’t switch to frozen or live mice though....honestly she probably shouldn’t they eat mostly lizards in the wild. The nutritional content between mice and lizards is very different so I’m inclined to continue lizards even if she did switch but it would be nice if she took mice too:rolleyes:
Yiiikes! That is expensive! :confused: I can see how breeding rats makes sense then! I feel like if you have the space, resources and emotional willpower to raise your own rats, it make sense.

Personally, although I have a lot of respect for rats as animals, I would never want to share my home with them - as pets or as feeders. Not because I find them gross or unpleasant or anything - I actually find them very cute and personable. But since getting birds, I have learned to always consider the "poop" factor before getting an animal! Haha. So with birds, for example, they poop a lot, but it is easy enough to change the cage paper daily and wipe the entire cage down once a week, and their poops don't smell. Snakes (from what I have read) have massive stinky poops, but they poop as often as they eat, which isn't more than once a week, so I know I could handle that too. Dogs (another animal I would love to have in my life in the future) do their business outside, which, for some reason, makes it easier for me to handle. Small mammals such as rats though poop a lot and their poop smells. I know they can be potty trained, but still... I know my, er, preferences (is that really the word I should be using?) when it comes to taking care of animals and cleaning up after them!
:mop:

You are a brave soul for taking on birds and snakes and rats! Haha

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Yiiikes! That is expensive! :confused: I can see how breeding rats makes sense then! I feel like if you have the space, resources and emotional willpower to raise your own rats, it make sense.

Personally, although I have a lot of respect for rats as animals, I would never want to share my home with them - as pets or as feeders. Not because I find them gross or unpleasant or anything - I actually find them very cute and personable. But since getting birds, I have learned to always consider the "poop" factor before getting an animal! Haha. So with birds, for example, they poop a lot, but it is easy enough to change the cage paper daily and wipe the entire cage down once a week, and their poops don't smell. Snakes (from what I have read) have massive stinky poops, but they poop as often as they eat, which isn't more than once a week, so I know I could handle that too. Dogs (another animal I would love to have in my life in the future) do their business outside, which, for some reason, makes it easier for me to handle. Small mammals such as rats though poop a lot and their poop smells. I know they can be potty trained, but still... I know my, er, preferences (is that really the word I should be using?) when it comes to taking care of animals and cleaning up after them!
:mop:

You are a brave soul for taking on birds and snakes and rats! Haha
Snake smell can be up there every once in awhile. I really only notice it if muiltiples go in the same day. So usually after feeding time for the colubrids they will all go at once in about a week or so. Gets noticeable then lol. The Retics don’t smell that bad unless they are on pigs BUT it’s like a horse decided to go in the house:eek: My big girl decided to go last week for the first time in months and it was so big....I had to take a picture and share with everyone I know:rofl: The boas are fed so conservatively they really don’t go that often. Maybe like once or twice a month.

I have noticed the smell increases with dehydration. People make a lot of mistakes when it comes to hydration and snakes. I bought a Retic from a breeder that wasn’t as trustworthy as my regular guy. That Retic stunk to high heaven for a few months. Eventually the smell went away and he is normal now but dang it was bad.

Rats definitely smell. They smell less with proper cleaning habits and such but the smell is always there for those guys. I can let someone in the house and they might never figure out I have so many snakes but if you get close to the rat cage you will definitely know I have those. I have found out that horse stall ammonia control works wonders for controlling rat smell too. I just sprinkle a layer on the bottom of the tray...not only does it control smell but it stops most of the stuck shavings/pee/poop. Also helps decrease the chance of RIs. So you have to actually be right up on the cage to smell them unless it’s close to cleaning day.

Birds don’t smell but they are still the biggest pain in the butt for upkeep:lol:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Nothing like an intelligent conversation on animal feces. :rofl:

I find part of the upkeep with birds is that it is so much more than just their poop that needs to be cleaned. Just the poop is one thing. But if you have a happy healthy bird who is eating the right foods and actively playing with toys well... Then you've got veggie bits stuck to the wall, pellet crumbles on the floor, wood chips and shredded paper bits everywhere! Not to mention the feather dust and molted feathers! Yeah, that combination plus the poop is absolutely a pain!

So on that note... It is cage cleaning day, and so I best get too it! :hehe:
:scrubfloors2:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like a similar situation to what I have going on here. I've got gerbils coming out my ears practically. My hawk bait gerbils mated and have been having babies continually since last year. They make a decent back up food source for my Harris's hawks for when the stock in my freezer starts to run a little low. Also good training for young hawks that have never caught anything. Always feel a little guilty about feeding them, but the hawks have to eat too. Its just what happens when you deal with obligate predators that don't do manufactured food well. Last weekend we went out and caught 2 wild voles and Frisbee was on the fast track to grabbing a couple wild mice before I called him down. Always nice when he catches his own food, but he still needs to eat on days I can't fly him. Plus, with wild mice, there is always a shadow of concern over rodenticide exposure. I just spent $216 having a bunch of frozen mice shipped to me. Ought to last 2 Harris's hawks most of the winter depending on how many rabbits and wild critters they catch.
I had one gerbil that my ball python rejected several years ago that lived to be 4 years old as a classroom pet. Lucky her that the snake ended up dying and I didn't have any other predators at the time.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Personally, I think all 'exotic' pets should be living in their native habitats, birds included and parrots especially. However, that ship has sailed a long time ago! They can't go back to the wild. So isn't it our duty as their caretakers to give them the best life possible? There are so many snakes in need of need of homes and simply not enough herpotologists to take care of them all. And if you feel that snakes should only be taken care of by herpotologists, then why are tortoises, lizards and other reptiles excluded from that list? Wouldn't that mean that all exotic animals, birds included, should only be taken care of by professional zoologists?

I disagree. The ship has not sailed. Snakes, unlike dogs and cats are not so domesticated that they can't be allowed back into their native habitat. In fact, they are not domesticated at all. The big ones look at us as a potential meal and nothing more. I have read so many horror stories regarding large snakes, usually involving children. In most states it is illegal to own one. And we are talking about SIXTY snakes here!

Let me ask a question. What's the difference from owning a large python to owning a tiger?

If you really want to help snakes than get on your state legislator to pass a bill prohibiting the selling and buying of snakes in your state. Buying them only adds to the problem.

I could be wrong but I doubt that tortoises, lizards, and birds kill small children. Snakes get poached just like certain parrots have been. It was wrong with regards to the parrots and it is wrong with the snakes too.

Now I am going to get off my soapbox. The author has made her point, and I have made mine.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am not a snake Person at all, but I can appreciate them. When I was a kid, my Brother had a snake room, and bred his rats and mice for them. He left for college and they were given to a Zoo in NY. As for the controversy of feeding them the live food, not for me at all. I used to hate working in a pet store and People came in for feeder mice, rats, pinkies hated it all. I am glad you have an interest in them, but as an animal lover of warm blooded species that aren't reptilian I will stick to cute and fuzzy, feathered and fins! ;)

I would NEVER sell a rabbit or guinea pig for food EVER. That was me too bad. As for the babies, I told People we are out of pinkies so they couldn't kill the wee little ones.

I know that snakes that are large will eat larger things............I cringe upon free ads for puppies and kittens because in many cases they meet this fate. I wish they didn't have to eat live things in captivity.

My story, the end.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Remember years ago when they came out with the “snake sausages” food-type things? Lol it was basically touted as an easier way for people to stomach feeding snakes...by seeing them eat a sausage (of ground rats) vs the rat itself. I don’t think they went over very well.
I don’t know enough of snake keeping to have an informed opinion on their dietary needs.
355337D2-EAA2-4CD1-927E-C5EEC6F0B208.jpeg

Last edited: