• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New Rats - Not just pets

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria

You have it wrong. Python's strangling of 2 boys in Canada investigated - CBS News All you had to do was Google it, but since you were so lazy, I did it for you. There is another tragic story involving a snake and child in Florida. Google it yourself.

The author said she had sixtyish snakes in one of her replies. Why don't you read the replies before jumping in and being so wrong? I envision cages of snakes stacked on top of one another.

Those stats of dogs v. snakes attacks means very little, since there are more people who own dogs than snakes. That's like trying to compare people who are in car accidents v. plane accidents.

My brother once owned a 21 foot python and fed it freeze dried rats. He made a lot of money and took excellent care of that snake, but even he knew it was not meant to be a pet. The best thing he ever did for that animal is when he sold it to a Tucson zoo where it had a larger enclosure, and it's needs were better met.

Snakes are not pets. There is no difference from owning a tiger and owning a large python. They are both unpredictable, both wild, and both dangerous.

And yes, in Canada, as in many states, it is illegal to own one. Please feel free to Google that one too.
Of course big snakes have the ability to kill when humans are stupid never said they didn’t but so do dogs and horses and other humans for that matter. It’s a flawed argument to use that because then you have to outlaw everything and well hello there PETA my old friend. And you are vastly underestimating the amount of people with snakes. They are a commonly kept animal these days. I bet most everyone has someone in the neighborhood that owns one and they will never know about it. People tend not to share because they get idiots like you spouting off. And I know people that have them legally across the US...not exactly a rare exotic animal around here. Venemous tend to have stricter laws and laws on native snakes are more numerous. PA has little in the way of laws besides those on native species. And you can still own native animals with permits...

Hate to break it to you but Jenphilly is family so she knows exactly what I own. And of course they are on top of each other...it’s called pvc cages...the standard for snake care...also thousands upon thousands of dollars to get as many cages and equipment as I have. Not like they are just scattered all over the place in some fire hazard tradegy waiting to happen. Snakes are very predictable if you know what to look for...you sound like an inexperienced bird owner that thinks their amazon can’t be predicted lol. He just goes crazy out of nowhere....and yet the signs are always there for those that have learned how to pay attention.

So your brother couldn’t handle it but he isn’t the standard of the world...Pets are whatever we want them to be. Some are horses, bugs, fish, birds, cats, dogs, or whatever really. They don’t have to love you or give you affection to be considered pets.

But any way get over yourself already and hop off my threads. Your shizz is old and sounds like a broken record at this point. Literally nothing you spout off in your biased little world will change anything....

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Of course big snakes have the ability to kill when humans are stupid never said they didn’t but so do dogs and horses and other humans for that matter. It’s a flawed argument to use that because then you have to outlaw everything and well hello there PETA my old friend. And you are vastly underestimating the amount of people with snakes. They are a commonly kept animal these days. I bet most everyone has someone in the neighborhood that owns one and they will never know about it. People tend not to share because they get idiots like you spouting off. And I know people that have them legally across the US...not exactly a rare exotic animal around here. Venemous tend to have stricter laws and laws on native snakes are more numerous. PA has little in the way of laws besides those on native species. And you can still own native animals with permits...

Hate to break it to you but Jenphilly is family so she knows exactly what I own. And of course they are on top of each other...it’s called pvc cages...the standard for snake care...also thousands upon thousands of dollars to get as many cages and equipment as I have. Not like they are just scattered all over the place in some fire hazard tradegy waiting to happen. Snakes are very predictable if you know what to look for...you sound like an inexperienced bird owner that thinks their amazon can’t be predicted lol. He just goes crazy out of nowhere....and yet the signs are always there for those that have learned how to pay attention.

So your brother couldn’t handle it but he isn’t the standard of the world...Pets are whatever we want them to be. Some are horses, bugs, fish, birds, cats, dogs, or whatever really. They don’t have to love you or give you affection to be considered pets.

But any way get over yourself already and hop off my threads. Your shizz is old and sounds like a broken record at this point. Literally nothing you spout off in your biased little world will change anything....

Okay, you had me until you called me an idiot.

Where do you get off saying "my brother couldn't handle it"? I state, very clearly, that my brother did a great job by that snake. It was well fed, had a great enclose, and a lot of money spent on it. I believe I SAID that he felt that snakes were not meant to be pets. Don't be dissing my family. We have all been taught to be respectful to animals.

Sixty snakes has me envisioning stacks of cages on top of one another.

And no, I don't think more people own large snakes than dogs. In fact, I know they don't.

Have a nice day.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I kept pet rats a few years ago but found their short lifespans too hard to deal with. I don't think I could keep a snake myself - or, to be honest, any meat eating animal. I'm not quite vegan but am a strict vegetarian, mostly for animal welfare and ecological reasons.

I couldn't do what you're doing but I applaud you for rearing your snakes' food ethically. Too many feeder animals are born in horrible conditions and people seem to turn a totally blind eye to their welfare. At least you're ensuring that your feeder breeders aren't overbred, are fed a good diet, kept in suitable enclosures and have enrichment. I hope that the way you euthanise the feeder animals is quick and painless.
My first pet was a rat. They’ve always been my favorite small animal. Yeah the 2-3 yr lifespan was always difficult. I had one female that we spent hundreds on to remove tumors and she jut died slowly from the cancer treatments. Next time I won’t be treating that and will just euthanize when the tumors affect quality of life...most seem to live longer without treatment or the pain of treatment.

I can see why overly large cages are difficult for large companies to use but yeah that was always a sticking point with me. The breeding bins for the females were too small but the grow out bins where like the farming feeding troughs it was a giant space but so many rats. I want them to at least be able to run around even if it’s just one level. It’s why I don’t think I’ll keep the boys in the cages with the girls because they will take up too much space and be on them too much. I found this wheel thing that is like a dish and they can run on it. I wanted to add that in but kept reading they break with the larger rodents. My friend uses them but has African soft fur rats so they are small little things. I’ve just been using left over bird toy parts as chewing enrichment (which they aren’t actually big on doing so far unless it’s the hammock straps ha) and also the leftover bird food in addition to their pellets...I finally found a use for the bird waste! They also get the kitchen scraps. The boys are loving the black out hide I use for snakes. I was using cardboard boxes but the black out hides are definitely more loved so far. They even blocked the entrance with shavings so it’s really blacked out lol

And yes the AVMA guidelines on euthanasia are what I’ll be following.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If we can't keep this thread free from arguments it will be closed.

I apologize for letting this guy get under my skin again.... not sure why Victoria's photos seem to be a trigger for him. But you know me well enough, regardless how old she gets, the protective mama bear instinct kicks in when there are the irrational posts.

The irony of all things, the argument used about snakes killing kids are a story I informed him about last time this happened... he insisted there was a family python kills kids who show off family snake. Reality, the only story about 2 boys being killed was that they lived over a pet shop. I just so frustrated with misinformation, be it about snakes, rats or parrots.

But, the positive side, now that I reared my head, I've posted a few times and hoping that trollers have found someone new to stalk so I can peacefully stick around!!

Happy holidays!!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My first pet was a rat. They’ve always been my favorite small animal. Yeah the 2-3 yr lifespan was always difficult. I had one female that we spent hundreds on to remove tumors and she jut died slowly from the cancer treatments. Next time I won’t be treating that and will just euthanize when the tumors affect quality of life...most seem to live longer without treatment or the pain of treatment.

I can see why overly large cages are difficult for large companies to use but yeah that was always a sticking point with me. The breeding bins for the females were too small but the grow out bins where like the farming feeding troughs it was a giant space but so many rats. I want them to at least be able to run around even if it’s just one level. It’s why I don’t think I’ll keep the boys in the cages with the girls because they will take up too much space and be on them too much. I found this wheel thing that is like a dish and they can run on it. I wanted to add that in but kept reading they break with the larger rodents. My friend uses them but has African soft fur rats so they are small little things. I’ve just been using left over bird toy parts as chewing enrichment (which they aren’t actually big on doing so far unless it’s the hammock straps ha) and also the leftover bird food in addition to their pellets...I finally found a use for the bird waste! They also get the kitchen scraps. The boys are loving the black out hide I use for snakes. I was using cardboard boxes but the black out hides are definitely more loved so far. They even blocked the entrance with shavings so it’s really blacked out lol

And yes the AVMA guidelines on euthanasia are what I’ll be following.
I had a Savic Royale Suite for mine - it's a really nice cage if you can get it. You might find it easier to get a Critter Nation if you're in the US.

Female rats go into heat after giving birth, and it's enormously taxing on them to be both pregnant and raising a litter.

I've found that younger rats and females like playing on wheels - it needs to be solid and big enough that that their spine doesn't bend. There's a type called a Silent Spinner that is big enough for female and young rats but usually isn't big enough for large bucks. I'd have one of those for them. I found that mine liked foraging for their food so I'd hide it in small boxes, egg cartons etc so they had to think about how to get to it.

Pine and cedar shavings aren't good for them as rats have such sensitive respiratory systems. If you can get hold of hardwood shavings, like aspen, that's better. I used to use shredded cardboard (like finacard: Finacard, Quality Animal Products - not sure what you can get in the US.

For mammary tumours, I'd get the rat spayed at her first tumour removal operation and never had a recurrence. It was kind of expensive though and I can see why you'd just euthanise if they aren't pet rats.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I had a Savic Royale Suite for mine - it's a really nice cage if you can get it. You might find it easier to get a Critter Nation if you're in the US.

Female rats go into heat after giving birth, and it's enormously taxing on them to be both pregnant and raising a litter.

I've found that younger rats and females like playing on wheels - it needs to be solid and big enough that that their spine doesn't bend. There's a type called a Silent Spinner that is big enough for female and young rats but usually isn't big enough for large bucks. I'd have one of those for them. I found that mine liked foraging for their food so I'd hide it in small boxes, egg cartons etc so they had to think about how to get to it.

Pine and cedar shavings aren't good for them as rats have such sensitive respiratory systems. If you can get hold of hardwood shavings, like aspen, that's better. I used to use shredded cardboard (like finacard: Finacard, Quality Animal Products - not sure what you can get in the US.

For mammary tumours, I'd get the rat spayed at her first tumour removal operation and never had a recurrence. It was kind of expensive though and I can see why you'd just euthanise if they aren't pet rats.
I hate the big wheels they are just a pain to clean. The ones I was looking at are the flying saucer things. The African soft furs love them so I wanted to try it with the rats too. I’ll probably buy one even with the bad reviews for the larger species to see what I think on them. I know the rats loved the balancing act of the bird perches so I was thinking maybe a jungle gym type thing might work and they could chew on it haha. Or the big pvc piping that can easily be thrown into the dish washer might be a hit.

I was looking up corn cob bedding but saw that rats slept/stressed worse on corn cob in a study so I decided against that one for sure. If I could get the lab grade aspen consistently I would buy that stuff all the time. The reptile shows have it sometimes. I’m all for less dust...the birds are enough dust monsters!

I’d never put a rat pet or not through another useless surgery/steroids again. I mean a surgery to remove one minor tumor/spay is one thing but the crazy cancer treatments were another. She wasted away slowly instead of living just fine bouncing around with a tumor. It was not a great way to spend the last of her days for sure. That was definitely a choice we all regretted putting her through almost immediately. Even though I’ve had decent luck with my girls over the years and very few had any kind of tumors or health issues.

I actually used to work with a rat rescue in NJ when I was younger. That was always fun to have all the cages open while they scattered all over playing. Even though they had nothing on the crazy of the ferret rescues!