• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Female Eclectus

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
@Laura729, no worries about delays! I haven't been online as much because of work and stuff with the rescue.

I was thinking the same thing with her cholesterol, I will ask my vet though and get her opinion. Someone else I know has recommended sprinkling a quarter teaspoon of organic raw wheat germ on her food every other day for the folic acid content; ever hear of this? I've tried searching the forum and the internet but only came across people feeding it to breeding canaries. She did get a little bit of a treat tonight with some sprouted sunflower seeds mixed into her chow, but thus far no sunflower seeds since she was with her former owners.

I am thinking the posture is a hormonal/sexual response. She does it mostly for my girlfriend when she enters the room or steps up on her, and it is quite deliberate. She also did it for me this evening as I was lightly touching her neck/upper back. And considering it is hormone season, I am thinking its more likely a hormonal behavior. I know that Ekkies don't like scritches or to be touched like other parrots due to their unique feathers, but so far she seems alright with a light touch to her neck and head area. Mostly I am trying to get her more comfortable with my hands but will only do as much as she is comfortable with, and of course stop if she exhibits hormonal behavior associated with it.

I haven't been able to place my AO order unfortunately. Every time I try to check out I get an error message, I will keep trying though.

As for the potential wing flipping, I have maybe seen her do it once or twice since my last post. Tonight actually was the first time I saw her move her wing like that in a while, and I think she was just re-positioning. I'm keeping my eye out for it though. Thankfully I haven't noticed any obvious signs of feather chewing or plucking either. There have been a few down feathers on the cage paper and pieces of feathers, but I think those have fallen out because of the condition of some of hers being so poor. She is growing a bunch of new feathers on her chest and under her wing and I am hoping she lets those come through okay.

That's sad that your female Eclectus came from a smoking home : (. I hope she ended up okay in spite of it. Gillian is still making her noises in her Elmo voice, but she has started using a lot more variety in the tone/inflection of her "ohh's". And, she makes this cute little clucking sound, kinda like a chicken. So, funny story associated with that. Someone I know on Facebook has a female Eclectus and posted a picture of her on their lap with the caption going something like: "my cute little chicken follows me wherever I go." Someone commented and asked her what kind of chicken is that, and said she has never seen one like that before. Haha! So I went up to Gillian and asked what kind of chicken are you, and I kid you not she made the cluck cluck cluck sound for the first time, three times in a row. I was howling laughing! So now every time she has made it I say to her chicken, haha. But I have a feeling that she is going to surprise us one day and say a phrase or two. It almost seems like she is just getting comfortable vocalizing again, and that she wants to say something but might still be a little shy.

This definitely seems to be the "road less traveled" on AA. I'm more than happy to post updates on Gilly Bean though, and hope to continue this thread. I will take more pictures of her soon, too! Plus I know I will have more questions I need your advice on :).

Laura729

Jogging around the block
That's sweet that she will allow some head scritching. Charlie lets (only) me do this and will snuggle against my chest or neck for a bit when I do it. The female Eclectus I mentioned used to snuggle up under my chin and like (or allowed at least) head scritches too. :) And yes, unfortunately her first home (almost 4 years) was with with a heavy smoker who smoked inside the house/right by her cage, and she was on the cheapest seed + colored pellet mix I had ever seen. But somehow she was healthy, sweet, and had not developed any plucking issues (yet). The man who owned her was having health issues and his daughter (an acquaintance of mine) took her in, but due to lots or overseas travel for work (which is why she was with me petsitting/boarding), the daughter later decided she should rehome her and I was able to help her find a wonderful family with a stay-at-home bird mom (!!) and a lovely sun room play area (built specifically for the parrots) where she gets to hang out with other bird siblings. I still get updates from them occasionally. I really wish I had adopted her, I think about it every day. But she is happy and loved and I am so happy for her.

That's so funny you mention the inflection in the "Elmo sounds" - I know exactly what you mean! Haha. They can express a lot with just those "ohhhhs" and oooOOOOHs"! It's amazing how well Charlie can convey his "feelings" via these sounds and his little singing voice (no words needed). :) And how hilarious - her chicken sounds! What a smart girl!! That's adorable. And quite an exotic looking chicken as well...:laugh:

I haven't heard that about the raw wheat germ / folic acid correlation but am tagging some people who have lots of nutrition expertise to hopefully lure them over to this less-traveled ekkie alley (haha). @Monica @expressmailtome @Danita (Danita - also see above about possible AO ordering/site complications?) @Mizzely @Macawnutz @MandaExotics

Has Gilly been playing much with any toys yet? It seems to vary with ekkies (and all birds, of course) and their individual toy preferences/toy playing activity levels, so I'm curious to see what her preferences are (though I'm sure she's still settling in and discovering new things so it may take a while).

You're doing a great job with her - I'm so glad she finally gets to have the family and love she deserves after the tough times she had to endure previously. :hug8:

And yes, more pics, please!!! :D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Not reading through the thread... but based on where folic acid/folate comes from, as long as a bird is on a healthy diet, they don't need wheat germ as a supplement...

Referencing the following page....

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/

Green peas, mustard greens, broccoli, spinach, lettuce and brussel sprouts contain more folic acid than wheat germ does. Most people do tend to feed their birds peas and broccolis from that list. Endive is another one high on the list. (as per another website)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hmm, I do know that wheat germ is a good source of vitamins, not sure why folic acid would be the focus but is got some good stuff in it!

What Is Wheat Germ? | Kretschmer Wheat Germ

Would be a natural source of plant based vitamins!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Broccoli is almost one of those secret super foods, it's got a lot of nutrients. I haven't read through this thread but I don't supplement for folate as my birds get enough in their other foods (I also don't have an ekkie though either). Lentils are a pretty decent source of folate if you want to add foods with it to the diet. Avocados are obviously off the list of acceptable foods for birds to eat but I see nothing wrong with adding wheat germ or wheat germ oil into the diet with other forms of fresh food. I'm thinking on a human basis of nutrition, there are some fruits and lettuces that have higher folate/folic acid content than others.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
@Laura729, that is such a sad but sweet story with the female Ekkie. I am sure she was very appreciative of the care and love you provided for her, and you helped set her up for the rest of her life. The elmo sounds are so funny sometimes. Shes sitting on the back of the kitchen chair I am sitting in and her voice is even cuter up close. She really wants my shoulder, but we aren't there yet. And I was in hysterics when she actually clucked when I asked what kind of chicken she was, haha.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly about the wheat germ/folic acid correlation. I remember my friend saying something about a nutrient in wheat germ being beneficial to help her regrow her feathers. I will have to ask him next time I see him for clarification. As long as it is a beneficial source of plant based vitamins though I will continue to add it to her chop every few days. @Monica good to know some other sources of folic acid. She does get brussell sprouts, broccoli and peas frequently.

@Laura729, as for toys I have not seen her play with any yet. Every once and a while after she goes back in her cage I will here her bell ring, which was one of her original toys that came with her from her former owner. I don't think she is playing with it so much as bumping it as she moves though, as it never rings more than once or twice.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Aww you are giving her a great life...she looks very interested in what you are doing in that pic..pretty girl..!!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks @Denice! We love her to pieces and just want to provide the best for her. She is so curious about everything, maybe because she was stuck in a cage for such a long time she just loves being out. Her feathers are already coming back in, and so far she hasn't bothered them. Hoping that will continue!

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Thanks @Denice! We love her to pieces and just want to provide the best for her. She is so curious about everything, maybe because she was stuck in a cage for such a long time she just loves being out. Her feathers are already coming back in, and so far she hasn't bothered them. Hoping that will continue!
I love the new photo!! She's so cute!!
And I agree, she looks interested and curious (and happy). I think I've mentioned that Charlie wants to be involved in everything, and is always getting into...everything, and despite the extra ways he likes to "keep me on my toes" (throwing ceramic plates off the kitchen counter that he somehow got onto...? because I left the room for 14 seconds, for example), I love it because I feel like he's finally getting to be "himself" and wants to learn and explore because he never had that chance before. It sounds like Gilly is going to quickly jump into "living it up" now too, since she finally (thankfully) can, like you said. It's great! I'm glad they are able to do it, because their past experiences could have very easily and understandably caused them to be "shut down," frightened of everything, etc.

I had to show Charlie how to play with toys (he was terrified/bewildered by a single birdie bagel the 2nd day he came here), and playing with baby toys with him (looking at them and "playing" with them while he was watching me from a distance, and then doing the same while he was sitting with me, etc.) really helped. He now loves his toys (baby toys are still usually his favorite), though it took him a while longer to learn it's fun/ok to play with toys IN his cage too (not just when he's out and mom is around/participating). :)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Haha @Laura729 I couldn't help but laugh when you said Charlie threw the ceramic plates off the counter- although I am sorry for your plates and floor. It is great to see them open up and show their true personality though, once they feel safe and feel that they can. Gilly Bean wants to be with us wherever we go. She enjoyed helping make chop this afternoon, of course sampling all the ingredients first. As for toys, her one bell was in a different spot this morning, hanging over the one perch. I've been doing the same like you did with Charlie though, trying to teach her how to play with them.

She got a treat of birdie bread this morning and loved it. Recipe included fresh pureed mango, banana, unsweetened natural applesauce, red palm oil, eggs, whole wheat flour, baking powder, little bit of chopped walnuts, and chopped sweet peppers. She was a very happy bird, as was the rest of the flock.

Any thoughts on full spectrum lighting? I don't have any FSL at the the moment, but was wondering what your thoughts were. Would this help her regrow some of her feathers? I've read a lot of good things but also a lot of bad things about it.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Gilly Bean has started to play with toys :). I was playing with one on the play gym and she looks down and starts chewing it apart. :)

Don't mind the broken feather on the first one. That's one that she had chewed the quill on halfway up. It actually fell out this morning.
IMG_6667.JPG
IMG_6668.JPG

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
She is so beautiful and seems so happy to be with you ..keep up the great work your doing with her :)

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Gilly hanging out, watching mom make her feather art that she sells for the rescue.

View attachment 245420
Such a pretty girl!

The plastic sheet-looking thing you have behind what I'm assuming is a conure cage in the corner... where did you get it and how is it put up on the wall? Sorry to derail the subject but that looks really practical.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Such a pretty girl!

The plastic sheet-looking thing you have behind what I'm assuming is a conure cage in the corner... where did you get it and how is it put up on the wall? Sorry to derail the subject but that looks really practical.
No problem! That's actually window film that you normally place over windows to conserve heat in the winter. 3M makes it and I buy it at the end of the season when it's on clearance and really cheap. Keeps the wall nice clean. I got it at Target, but Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart sell it around here as well. It comes with double sided sticky tape, and I just stick that to the wall and cut the plastic to fit the space and stick it up.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
No problem! That's actually window film that you normally place over windows to conserve heat in the winter. 3M makes it and I buy it at the end of the season when it's on clearance and really cheap. Keeps the wall nice clean. I got it at Target, but Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart sell it around here as well. It comes with double sided sticky tape, and I just stick that to the wall and cut the plastic to fit the space and stick it up.
I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
What a great idea, contact paper might work too. I will try this since my conures are the biggest piggies when eating. Nice that they eat everything but the mess......

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
What a great idea, contact paper might work too. I will try this since my conures are the biggest piggies when eating. Nice that they eat everything but the mess......
I never considered contact paper, that is a good idea. I know how you feel about your conures, my one makes the biggest mess out of all seven of our flock. The food "artwork" that is flung all over the wall is thanks to him.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
I use a removable contact paper by Charlie's cage that I got from Amazon and it's easy to wipe down. :)

Haha @Laura729 I couldn't help but laugh when you said Charlie threw the ceramic plates off the counter- although I am sorry for your plates and floor. It is great to see them open up and show their true personality though, once they feel safe and feel that they can. Gilly Bean wants to be with us wherever we go. She enjoyed helping make chop this afternoon, of course sampling all the ingredients first. As for toys, her one bell was in a different spot this morning, hanging over the one perch. I've been doing the same like you did with Charlie though, trying to teach her how to play with them.

She got a treat of birdie bread this morning and loved it. Recipe included fresh pureed mango, banana, unsweetened natural applesauce, red palm oil, eggs, whole wheat flour, baking powder, little bit of chopped walnuts, and chopped sweet peppers. She was a very happy bird, as was the rest of the flock.

Any thoughts on full spectrum lighting? I don't have any FSL at the the moment, but was wondering what your thoughts were. Would this help her regrow some of her feathers? I've read a lot of good things but also a lot of bad things about it.
There are a lot of different views on full spectrum lighting. I use it in the light fixtures above the boys' cages, so when they are out on their play areas above their cages they are within the "effectiveness range" proximity I believe.