• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Female Eclectus

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
She likes the TOPS, I have added a little to her breakfast and at night in case she gets hungry. Going to check out playstands for her tomorrow afternoon!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Her full spectrum light came in from Avitec. It's 18'' long and I am going to have to figure out a way to suspend it from the ceiling. How close to the top of her cage should it hang, and how long should it be on for? I remember reading somewhere recommended distances away from cage but every article has a different opinion. Any suggestions from AA?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
About 16" from the top perch, which could make it less than 16" from the top of the cage.

Some may say 12", others say 18". If there is no "burn in" period (which I've only seen with Zoomed products, which I do not recommend for birds anyway...), then it should be fine being closer, but you can always err on the side of caution and move it a bit further away, too.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
When you say 16" from the top perch, is that the physical perch or the birds head when she is standing on the perch?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's typically from the perch, not the bird's head, which means it would be rather close.

If you don't feel comfortable with it being that close, then put it further away. I'd personally do within a foot of the bird's head, so it's not too terribly close!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Have it all set up. It's about 15" from the top perch. I've only had it on for about two hours a day, just to get her used to it.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Awww, she's so cute! Charlie likes Brazil nuts in the shell too, but I often have to get them "started" with a little crack for him. Can Gilly crack/open them herself?

Sorry I haven't been on recently - I got knocked out with a bad cold/flu thing!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
@Laura729, I hope you are feeling better! At least here in western PA everyone has been getting these late winter colds due to the fluctuating weather.

I had to start to crack the Brazil nut for her, but once I did that she was pretty good at getting the rest of it out. I think if she put her mind to it though she could figure it out- was probably the first time she has ever seen a nut like that.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Well I really lucked out! Found a practically new cage for Gillian for free! The cage she came in from her former home was probably never cleaned. When I got her I did the best I could, but fourteen years worth of grim is impossible to get off. Not to mention rust and eroded powder coating from feces build up. Lucky for me someone on a parrot group I'm a part of on Facebook was giving away cages, and this one is only two years old and kept very clean. I scrubbed the entire cage with F10 just to be safe, and it is awaiting Gillian's move in!

I rigged up a holder for her full spectrum light, but I wanted your guys opinions. It has to be a little closer to the cage top in this set up due to this cage not having a play top (which we never used anyway). Is this too close to the cage, or is it alright?

51422539581__F2E27CA5-3497-4FE3-AB1D-F657A1B2417F.JPG

51422540717__B5A24EF3-6B28-46DC-B2F7-9E25F7DA2B88.JPG

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Great find!

Considering how low the perches should probably be for those dishes, I imagine the light would be fine? Better to judge once you've got it set up for her.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
That's what I was thinking. Once I get it set up I will post pictures. Worst comes to worst I'll figure out another way to mount it/build a new holder.

The cage really was a lucky find though. Can't wait to get her out of the old cage and into the new.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
That's what I was thinking. Once I get it set up I will post pictures. Worst comes to worst I'll figure out another way to mount it/build a new holder.

The cage really was a lucky find though. Can't wait to get her out of the old cage and into the new.
Can't wait to see photos of it set up! It's awesome to find great deals like that!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I'll post pictures as soon as possible!

In other news, I believe I am starting to experience my first hormone season with a female Eckie. She has become quite a bit more stubborn and bitey, and generally does not want to be held or touched. I've been respecting her space and not forcing her to step up or do anything she doesn't want to do. She didn't want to come out of her cage yesterday until the evening and has lunged for my hand a few times during trick training and carrying her to and from her cage. I'm thinking that the transition to a new cage might help?

Any tips for a hormonal Eckie? She's been getting 10-12 hours of sleep a night and as I said above we don't push anything with her.

Also today I noticed her beak is has started to peel a little and she has tons of pin feathers coming in. I'm sure they are uncomfortable and we are making sure she bathes regurarly. So, any tips or advice?

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Congratulations Awesome cage find, in my area people are asking ridiculous prices for old and small cages. She is a cutie.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
I'll post pictures as soon as possible!

In other news, I believe I am starting to experience my first hormone season with a female Eckie. She has become quite a bit more stubborn and bitey, and generally does not want to be held or touched. I've been respecting her space and not forcing her to step up or do anything she doesn't want to do. She didn't want to come out of her cage yesterday until the evening and has lunged for my hand a few times during trick training and carrying her to and from her cage. I'm thinking that the transition to a new cage might help?

Any tips for a hormonal Eckie? She's been getting 10-12 hours of sleep a night and as I said above we don't push anything with her.

Also today I noticed her beak is has started to peel a little and she has tons of pin feathers coming in. I'm sure they are uncomfortable and we are making sure she bathes regurarly. So, any tips or advice?
Aww, hormones are tough, and unfortunately it seems that sometimes you have to ride/wait them out. But like you said, making sure she's getting enough sleep is good, and switching cages could definitely help. Does she have toys/materials she's shredding and/or trying to nest with? Also, if there are any way(s) to distract her with activities, that can help a bit (favorite games, being silly, etc. I distract Charlie when he's hormonal/bratty with showers, singing, and adding things to his "junk box" on top of his cage to throw around as he pleases :). Warm, soft foods can trigger hormonal responses, so you can try limiting those and stick with more things like sprouts and fresh (vs cooked) and/or cold options.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Gotta love hormones o_O. She only plays with her toys sporadically and has not exhibited any nesting behavior with them yet. We've added a few foraging toys to keep her occupied and will be heading out to get her some new toys this morning. We made a lot of progress with the shower, I forgot to tell you @Laura729! She perched on my arm under the shower head and got a real shower for the first time the other day- extended wings and everything. :) Noticed she has so many pin feathers coming through, she looked like a soaking wet porcupine. As for soft foods, she hasn't gotten any sweet potato for dinner in a while and we will be starting another sprout batch today. She will come out of it eventually and honestly she hasn't been that bad. She hasn't been interested in me as much as before and seems to have picked my girlfriend to latch onto, but she really hasn't been that hard to handle.

The plan is to get her moved into the new cage today. I will let you know how it goes and post pictures!

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Yay for the shower progress! Hopefully she will realize she loves them from now on! :)
That's good that, despite the hormones, she's still acting ok overall with you guys (I know that's not always the case with these beautiful birds - understandably!). And like you said, she will get through it soon. :)
Good luck with her new cage transition, can't wait to see photos!

Laura729

Jogging around the block
That looks great! And she looks quite pleased! Was she comfortable checking it out right away?