• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Female Eclectus

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Yeah she was! I've had the new cage in the same room as her old one for about a week before I put her in it, so she was used to seeing it. She went right in and explored for a minute or so, then settled down on a perch. We left the door open for about thirty minutes and she climbed out once to explore the top.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Ekkies LOVE their pomegranates. If I let him Dobey would make a complete meal of them. Pretty little girl you have there!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thank you, she's a pretty special girl :).

That was her first time having a pomegranate. She tried some fresh young coconut yesterday and enjoyed that as well, although I think the pomegranate was her favorite of the two. She was not a fan of her sprouted lentils today though. Although if I had to pick between lentils and pomegranates, I think I'd pick the latter too.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Ekkies also love berries. I'm finding it difficult to find some of the important fruits because they are not in season.. Passion fruit and dragon fruit are other favorite that are scarce right now. Its important to give a variety but the "super" fruits are the best. Also, since Ekkies don't drink a lot of water its important to give them fruit that contain a lot of water....melon etc. Ekkies take a whole lot more effort to feed but they are worth it. I had started giving Dobey 9 pellets a day because he is super molting but last night I think he had some wing flipping so no more 9 pellets. I was giving him 3 per day (broken up) and placing them under cups to play...no issue there but 9 just might be too many.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I haven't been able to find any Dragonfruit yet, but my other birds have enjoyed it before. As soon as I see some I will pick some up. She enjoys all kinds of berries and most vegetables. Some days she will eat sprouts, some days she won't. Still working on that.

Eckies are definitely different than a lot of birds in some ways, but I love them. We've only had Gillian for a short period of time but I've fallen for her- even in the midst of her hormone madness. Lucky for us the diet aspect isn't too terribly difficult, as our flock gets a variety of fresh chop daily.

She does love what we call "crunchies", i.e., pellets. I give her a little mix of the TOPS organic, additive free pellets occasionally. She's stolen pieces of Harrison's from the other birds before and she goes crazy for it. She will get a few pieces in her foraging ball from time to time to keep her occupied and as a treat but that's, it not part of her base diet. Kudos to you for being so aware of your Eckies food tolerances.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
IMG_6765.JPG
IMG_6766.JPG
IMG_6767.JPG

Couldn't get a good single picture, so I took three! Gillian playing with her toys! She was chewing on her sisal ball and a piece came off. She was so happy waving it back and forth for a few minutes.

Amaan

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amaan
Hi guys I need help I have a female eclectus and it's really starting to get noisy she's around 2-3 months old and it's female.when she sees me she starts to go off but when I'm gone and the family is walking around her cage it doesn't make one sound can someone help me she's is eating propley

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Hello. She may be calling out to you for attention. If you are her chosen person and aren't interacting with her she might be calling for you. You might get more responses if you open up a new thread :).

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
Hi guys I need help I have a female eclectus and it's really starting to get noisy she's around 2-3 months old and it's female.when she sees me she starts to go off but when I'm gone and the family is walking around her cage it doesn't make one sound can someone help me she's is eating propley
Hello. She may be calling out to you for attention. If you are her chosen person and aren't interacting with her she might be calling for you. You might get more responses if you open up a new thread :).
I am having the EXACT same issue as Amaan. As of about 4 days ago, but she's been extremely bad the last 24 hours. He cawing increases in volume as well as she goes on. I've tried ignoring her, and she will continue hour hours on end, so there is no LULL for me to treat her when she is quiet. I also tried picking her up, interacting with her, feeding her (seed, fruit, veggies), and showering her.... To No avail, she just goes on and on and on. As soon as I am out of sight, she goes back to being the quiet little bird I'm used to. Its very strange/frustrating. My appearance, her environment and her normal time out of cage have not changed.... I've been told she is likely regressing due to some unknown stressor and maybe calling for parent-feeding. Which makes sense as I started to notice she is doing the chugging-motion chicks typically do when being fed by parents when i get a finger too close to her beak. I don't really want to encourage having her back on syringe feeding as it's been difficult enough to have her try new fruits and veggies to get her off of her all-seed diet

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't really want to encourage having her back on syringe feeding as it's been difficult enough to have her try new fruits and veggies to get her off of her all-seed diet
Not to derail the thread... but if you have a young bird who has possibly regressed in feedings, then *DO* feed her! Don't ignore her calling! Ignoring the call for food could cause more harm than good... both emotionally as well as physically.

Also, regression could potentially be a sign that she's sick or isn't feeling well.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Not to derail the thread... but if you have a young bird who has possibly regressed in feedings, then *DO* feed her! Don't ignore her calling! Ignoring the call for food could cause more harm than good... both emotionally as well as physically.

Also, regression could potentially be a sign that she's sick or isn't feeling well.
Definitely agree with @Monica, if you feel she's not doing well a vet visit is first priority.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
@BirdGuy21 @Monica - I did notice watery stools last night, but i kinda figured that was from her veggie diet - green bell peppers are pretty high in water content and she enjoys this more than anything else i give her. I guess I'll be dropping in for an Avian vet visit on Saturday.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Best to be safe and let the vet check her out. Droppings are a good indicator of illness, so if something seems off there a vet visit is warranted. Overall birds hide illness very well so the only way to be sure is to get them to a vet. Wishing you the best of luck and hope your girl is alright.