• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Neutrino

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mom was here holding her while I was scrubbing down the old cage to take over to Mom's for her parrotlet, and she said when I walked out of the room, Neut immediately called for me (I heard her squeak, but I didn't think anything of it). Mom said she got antsy every time I was out of sight, so she ended up following me around with the tiny robot bird as I went to and fro through the apartment, lol. I'm like, "Nah, Neut-Neut doesn't care if I'm there or not, you're imagining it, Mom!" But it was nice to think maybe the little one might prefer me over "grandma" or actually want to be around me. :D

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Of course she loves you. Such a sweet little birdie. Her new cage looks great. She looks tiny in there

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Thank you! I want her to be happy. :) I was getting the beady eye while transferring all of her things over to the new cage!

Hmm, well, the willow perches have a slight softness to them despite being wood. They might slow her down! I don't think sisal would work any better because if she's going through rope that easily...yeah, maybe a soft wood like willow would work. LOL, downfall of having female lovies! You know, I have seen hard platforms covered by fleece. Is that along the lines of what you're looking for? There are some on this page: Perches — Crazy for Bird Toys

Probably no fleece since she chews that up too, I had to remove her fleece happy hut because I was afraid she was ingesting it, she's now using a coconut shell as a temporary bed lol I say temporary because I know she's going to chew the ropes it's hanging by before the weeks out. I'll try willow. I swear this bird is so difficult for toys and perches, nothing lasts very long inside her cage lol

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Great cage setup! And that reminds me, I need to get more of those half log perches!!!! :D

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish Olive would chew more of her stuff.

@fluffypoptarts what kind of cage is that?
You might just have to find the right kind of thing she likes to chew. :) Have you tried softer wood? Seagrass? Few of my birds like the really hard woods.

It's a 28x18 HQ. You can get it here: HQ Top Opening Cages | Cages for Medium Birds from DrsFosterSmith.com

Just make sure that if you get it, you carefully check it over for the powder coating being damaged in shipping! There's always a little damage to any cage I've ever ordered, but just make sure it's not in a place where it would be a problem (in other words, where birdy would have access to it).

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great cage setup! And that reminds me, I need to get more of those half log perches!!!! :D
Thanks! Yeah, you'd think they'd be easier to find, right? But I've only ever seen them in a couple of places. :) I love the willow.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Probably no fleece since she chews that up too, I had to remove her fleece happy hut because I was afraid she was ingesting it, she's now using a coconut shell as a temporary bed lol I say temporary because I know she's going to chew the ropes it's hanging by before the weeks out. I'll try willow. I swear this bird is so difficult for toys and perches, nothing lasts very long inside her cage lol
LOL so she is fulfilling her destructive mission in life! I wish some of mine would chew more! I put things in there for them to joyfully destroy and they can be so timid and tentative about it. You can pretty much count on replacing everything wood or rope in her cage on a regular basis forever. ;)

By the way, the new picture of her is ADORABLE.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Of course she loves you. Such a sweet little birdie. Her new cage looks great. She looks tiny in there
She's still skittish, so I sometimes wonder! She is still very sweet and never bites. Even if she doesn't like something, she's very passive and quiet about showing it. Thank you! I wish I could have found a bigger one with all horizontal bars, but they don't really seem to be around. It's so frustrating. We need a cage revolution! Someone on AA needs to open a cage company, lol.

She is a very tiny little bird. :)

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Have you tried softer wood? Seagrass? Few of my birds like the really hard woods.
The only thing she has chewed on so far are vine balls and paper rope. She does chew on seagrass a little bit and tissue paper (i put treats into it, roll it up, and put into something for foraging). I've offered her a wide variety but i she seems to like just those few things. I wish she would chew on something a little more substantional. She does do quite a bit of beak sharpening on her perches though.;)

What i like about it is that the bars are all horizontal. The one she has now has two sides horizontal and two sides vertical. And i'd like to get her something bigger. I also like the half perch log. Gotta look for one of those.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've found the "perches" in the small animal section in the major chain pet shops. :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only thing she has chewed on so far are vine balls and paper rope. She does chew on seagrass a little bit and tissue paper (i put treats into it, roll it up, and put into something for foraging). I've offered her a wide variety but i she seems to like just those few things. I wish she would chew on something a little more substantional. She does do quite a bit of beak sharpening on her perches though.;)
Have you tried cork? I really do think she'd be tempted to chew either willow or cork. The willow would be more of a challenge. Even my hesitant chewers have started on the willow!

What i like about it is that the bars are all horizontal. The one she has now has two sides horizontal and two sides vertical. And i'd like to get her something bigger. I also like the half perch log. Gotta look for one of those.
Yes, very hard to find cages with all horizontal bars. I was thrilled to find that one. King's Cages has one like it that's nearly identical, but I've heard their quality has gone down recently. Tough to find quality from any cage company anymore!

Things For Wings has lovely half perches in different lengths - that's where mine are from. IGAW might be able to do something for you as well.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've found the "perches" in the small animal section in the major chain pet shops. :)
That's so weird, I've never seen them! I'll have to look again next time I'm in one of those stores.

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Have you tried cork?
Not really. There was one cork in her cage for a couple of weeks on a skewer with the vine balls, but she didn't touch either one. :confused: I think the vine balls were a bit tougher/stronger than the previous ones she had demolished so she didn't like them. I will have to keep experimenting with different toys and combos of stuff because i bought a ton when the SWS was going on.

Someone on AA needs to open a cage company, lol.
Wouldn't that be great? :geek: I am having the hardest time finding a large cage with small enough bar spacing. The one she is in now is pretty big, but it's taller than long and it has the drawbridge type door i don't like.

She is a very tiny little bird.
Olive is quite small too (48 grams) but she doesn't look nearly as cute as Neutneut. I just want to scoop up Neut and give her a kiss.:xflove:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Coros We are fortunate with cage choices in the USA. I never realized until I read about the trouble people have trying to get cages in other countries!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not really. There was one cork in her cage for a couple of weeks on a skewer with the vine balls, but she didn't touch either one. :confused: I think the vine balls were a bit tougher/stronger than the previous ones she had demolished so she didn't like them. I will have to keep experimenting with different toys and combos of stuff because i bought a ton when the SWS was going on.
How does she feel about balsa? That's nice and soft.

Wouldn't that be great? :geek: I am having the hardest time finding a large cage with small enough bar spacing. The one she is in now is pretty big, but it's taller than long and it has the drawbridge type door i don't like.
YES! At least we would know what kinds of cages need to be made, dang it! LOL. I think it's crazy what they consider "medium" or "large" bird cages. Which of course means they change the bar spacing to something inappropriate for lovies, etc. But of course all of my cages are the 1/2" spacing, so if you like the HQ, at least there's that.

Olive is quite small too (48 grams) but she doesn't look nearly as cute as Neutneut. I just want to scoop up Neut and give her a kiss.:xflove:
Olive is small for a girl! Neut is only 43 grams, and that is apparently a normal, healthy weight for her! She beats even Termie (around 45 grams) for micro bird. I will not tell Olive that you said Neut-Neut is cuter! Goodness! Can you imagine the kerfluffle! :hilarious: I think I said somewhere in this thread that Neut seems to have that effect on bird-loving people. Scoop and kiss! Babble about how tiny and precious she is. It cracks me up to watch my mom succumb to the same power that Neut exerts over me! I have a feeling that you guys would be the same way, hehe!

I keep expecting Neut to turn into a little devil, but nothing yet! That reminds me - the white pest was flitting all around her cage again and I think the tiny one exhibited some possessiveness/territorial behavior!! While Snerky was scampering around on top of Neut's cage, Neut started to reach up like she was thinking about biting toes! So I put a cover on the top. Then, when Snerky was running around on the front of her cage, Neut was gnawing determinedly on her platform almost like it was AT Snerky and making little burbly-growly robot noises! :shocked6: