• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new girl is here!

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Well I am from the South and you know what we say.

BIG HAIR MAKES YOU CLOSER TO GOD.
Hahaha! It's true! I've heard it said too, "The bigger the hair, the closer to god". :heart2:

Congratulations!
Thank you! :hug8:

welcome home new family member!!!! shes a cutie!
Aw, thanks!! :laugh:

Congratulations!
Thank you very much! :D

Word of warning: my alpha gcc Beni loves preening hair but he has a tendency to turn hair he is preening into the equivalent of mini-dreadlocks ... Colleen, who does my hair, knows by now that if there are sections of my hair missing it wasn't from her last haircut but from Beni dreadlocking sections.

NB: He doesn't do it at the ends but in the middle or the top of my head ...
Haha, well. I don't need any help with the destruction of my hair, so I'll watch that. Nature gave me extremely delicate and frizzy hair, and now with the added texture from all the greys....it's all down hill from here. :sad13:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Don’t mention the greys!!!!:arghh: I’m doing a little fight with myself right now. I am more than 50% grey [it just auto changed that to GREAT :dance4::roflmao:] but only on top. By 1/3 down it’s still very dark brown. I am coloring it all to brownish red...but it’s also naturally curly. To let the curl happen yu have to treat it gently, including stop coloring.

What do people look like with a top layer of grey over dark? Weird, right?? I have never seen it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hahaha! It's true! I've heard it said too, "The bigger the hair, the closer to god". :heart2:

Thank you! :hug8:

Aw, thanks!! :laugh:

Thank you very much! :D

Haha, well. I don't need any help with the destruction of my hair, so I'll watch that. Nature gave me extremely delicate and frizzy hair, and now with the added texture from all the greys....it's all down hill from here. :sad13:
Tell me about extremely fine hair not to mention flat unless I pretty much dry my hair standing up side down.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
and now with the added texture from all the greys....
Yeah, what's that about? I've always had fine hair that's so straight it can't hold a curl. I've wanted any texture all my life & now the white ones are coming in all "sproing!" I don't care what color they are, I just wanna know where they've been this whole time! :bored:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Yeah, what's that about? I've always had fine hair that's so straight it can't hold a curl. I've wanted any texture all my life & now the white ones are coming in all "sproing!" I don't care what color they are, I just wanna know where they've been this whole time! :bored:
Hard water does mine in but the whites are coarser than the rest of my hair.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oo congrats!! Can’t Wait to hear her name!:D

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I dyed my hair black or very dark brown most of my life, but when my greys started coming in more heavily around 35, I stopped coloring. Now at almost 41, my hair is all natural and I'm maybe 1/4 grey. I like the color....it's still weird for me to see in photos sometimes (thought you can't tell in the blurry one I posted), but I don't know if I like the texture. It really adds to the overall dryness and frizz.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Your bird sounds precious. Looks like she likes you a little too much, might make the hubby jealous!
Yeah...she's even been sort of...you know...backing up to my hand a lot today. Lol! She looooves me. ;)

Oo congrats!! Can’t Wait to hear her name!:D
I know! I thought we had it, and was going to let you all know, but I'm having second thoughts...It might take a few more days. ;)

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
My 'quote' button isn't working - sorry.

OH NO! Hahaha! 'Dorcas' is a name I've had in mind for ages - Dorcas Squawkus. That's so funny, I can't stop laughing.... I hope I can get a bird soon - I want one so badly now I've started stalking the pigeons in the graveyard. I'm going to have to think of more names...Hortense, perhaps?!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My 'quote' button isn't working - sorry.

OH NO! Hahaha! 'Dorcas' is a name I've had in mind for ages - Dorcas Squawkus. That's so funny, I can't stop laughing.... I hope I can get a bird soon - I want one so badly now I've started stalking the pigeons in the graveyard. I'm going to have to think of more names...Hortense, perhaps?!
Dorcas wouldn't probably have been so bad if that character in the book wasn't so horrible. :) I like it much better with Squawkus! :laughing2: That works.

And good luck finding a rhyming last name for Hortense! :smuggrin:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Congratulations, that's one sweet little bird and a lovely photo - you both look gorgeous!
Thank you!!

You are both adorable and cute! ♥

Congrats! :starshower1:(and sorry I'm a bit late)
Thank you so much!

So cute. I honestly like both Dorcas and Hortense now. <3

Hortense Twinklebinzz

Hortense Doubledense

Hortense Dinglezens
Hortense Twinklebinzz?? 100% PLEASE somebody - name your bird that.

I once had a sucker fish (a Plecostomus) named Saint Thomas Aquatus. He was a single fish of mine for years. I loved him. <3

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Just checking in....Duckie and the girlie scream for each other through the house throughout the day. Though it's mostly her. (Duckie is used to hearing very loud Grackles and doves outside the window, and he always calls to them as well.) Whats making us all crazy at the moment though has got to be hormone season. Duckie seems upset all the time, and the little girl screams for me through the house whenever she hears me, poor things. This season has been crazy, and I don't know if it's due to the addition of male/female energy that has never been there before, but Duckie's biting has been getting worse, and at the same time he is SUPER needy! On top of her being super needy, I'm not getting much of a break....Can't wait till they can be friends...:faint:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Just checking in....Duckie and the girlie scream for each other through the house throughout the day. Though it's mostly her. (Duckie is used to hearing very loud Grackles and doves outside the window, and he always calls to them as well.) Whats making us all crazy at the moment though has got to be hormone season. Duckie seems upset all the time, and the little girl screams for me through the house whenever she hears me, poor things. This season has been crazy, and I don't know if it's due to the addition of male/female energy that has never been there before, but Duckie's biting has been getting worse, and at the same time he is SUPER needy! On top of her being super needy, I'm not getting much of a break....Can't wait till they can be friends...:faint:
I can relate...

Rupert is very hormonal right now and desperately either wants to be with me or Sherbie. Going to Sherbie's side would spell trouble. She would tear him a new one without batting an eye. Rupert's been regurgitating on his toys a lot recently. Sherbie's giving us "airplane wings" just for talking to her.

I hope your two become fast friends. :heart:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Ah yes, the continuous singing and breathless whistling of tiels and the gccs grinding noise. Spring is definitely here!

Circa my Scottish Papa who's been gone since 1981:
Spring has sprung, the grass has riz
I wonder where the boidies is?
The boid is on the wing - that's absoid!
The wing is on the boid!

I keep hearing "Love Shack" playing over and over in my mind.

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
Circa my Scottish Papa who's been gone since 1981:
Spring has sprung, the grass has riz
I wonder where the boidies is?
The boid is on the wing - that's absoid!
The wing is on the boid!

I keep hearing "Love Shack" playing over and over in my mind.
Oh, my mum used to say that! I'd forgotten the last two lines, so thank you! I wonder where it comes from...my ma had so many weird little sayings, some of which had to be said with a Scottish accent (she spent time in Aberdeen during the war). I wonder if your Papa had other little gems! Nice to be reminded.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you! Papa's family were tenant farmers (WW I era) in Lockerbie, Dumfries (made famous by the PanAm bombing). :( I still have distant cousins in Lockerbie (though very elderly) and also in Edinburgh.