• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My New baby Alexandrine parrot will get in Spring 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Hi Ryan!
I was lucky enough to have my Alex given to me by his previous owner, which I will forever be grateful for. He is amazing, and was always one of my dream birds. Im shocked to hear they are hard to find in your area. I am in Canada, and Alex breeders are a dime a dozen. Easy to find babies every month of the year, usually pretty affordable as well. I can appreciate your frustration having trouble finding one.....I wonder, have you checked shelters, resuces, etc? Or placed a classified ad asking if anyone wants to rehome thiers?
The only reason my guy ever came to me was because I was sure to make it known in the bird community how much I always wanted one. It became common knowledge around here, LOL And another member and I agreed to rehome Peaches with our family after they had trouble keeping up with thier large flock.
While the idea of a baby is appealing (I did it twice, with my IRN's) it feels super gratifying having a rehomed bird, knowing I helped prevent a homeless bird as apposed to getting a baby. Any future birds for us will only be rehomes. Just something to think about anyways. If you have to search for one, why not look at all avenues, right?

Good Luck!

AlexanderTheGreat

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Ryan
Hi Ryan!
I was lucky enough to have my Alex given to me by his previous owner, which I will forever be grateful for. He is amazing, and was always one of my dream birds. Im shocked to hear they are hard to find in your area. I am in Canada, and Alex breeders are a dime a dozen. Easy to find babies every month of the year, usually pretty affordable as well. I can appreciate your frustration having trouble finding one.....I wonder, have you checked shelters, resuces, etc? Or placed a classified ad asking if anyone wants to rehome thiers?
The only reason my guy ever came to me was because I was sure to make it known in the bird community how much I always wanted one. It became common knowledge around here, LOL And another member and I agreed to rehome Peaches with our family after they had trouble keeping up with thier large flock.
While the idea of a baby is appealing (I did it twice, with my IRN's) it feels super gratifying having a rehomed bird, knowing I helped prevent a homeless bird as apposed to getting a baby. Any future birds for us will only be rehomes. Just something to think about anyways. If you have to search for one, why not look at all avenues, right?

Good Luck!
Thanks for the response KimKim. I did find another breeder that has babies. They are 2 young to sex yet & he won't take deposits yet.......... I really wish one of my local shops could get me one but they said they can't find them through there breeder networks? I never thought about rehoming. I would be open to that as long as the bird wasn't too old. It would be gratifying to know you helped out a bird by placing him in a better situation.

myrka2004

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marina
UpDate... my breeder now has again an eggs ...don't know how many...By this time I was find other breeder where my baby Senegal from and he will have a baby Alex boy for me in a 2-3 weeks... and I will be hand fed him too as I do my baby Senegal... so, excited and can't wait to see my beautiful baby. Will update...:heart::hug8::dance4:

AlexanderTheGreat

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Ryan
UpDate... my breeder now has again an eggs ...don't know how many...By this time I was find other breeder where my baby Senegal from and he will have a baby Alex boy for me in a 2-3 weeks... and I will be hand fed him too as I do my baby Senegal... so, excited and can't wait to see my beautiful baby. Will update...:heart::hug8::dance4:
Congratulation marina! Hope everything works out for you. i am still on the hunt...........

Status
Not open for further replies.