• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My hydroponic kit arrived!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I have thot about that and I might later down the road. :D It's the space here. I have no room. :arghh:
I believe it was only $48 USD total with discounts. :wideyed:

You can't go wrong if you do. ;)

Yes, I did read everything about it before I made the purchase. ;) It has a 16-hour timer inside. Whenever you turn it on the timer starts.
It'll go in the kitchen so it shouldn't bother either of us. :)
Tomatoes and strawberries should not be grown together, so tomatoes are first. :D Farlie can't eat tomatoes and he doesn't like any fruit so all the more for me. :hehe:

:thankyou: I'll post pix!!!

UPDATE: I've just been notified that my supplies from Amazon have been shipped.
ALSO, my AeroGarden is on the way too. :bounce8:
How exciting!! :bliss: Can't believe the price!!!

You are going to have to fix up some shelving! :D

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I was so taken with the video of the strawberries (thanks Rick!) that I've ordered the Aero Garden Harvest, extra grow sponges, and some bare rooted strawberry plants! This is going to be amazing if I can grow strawberries year round for Ollie. :starshower1:

Also going to be interesting to compare the Aero Garden with the Click and Grow.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I was so taken with the video of the strawberries (thanks Rick!) that I've ordered the Aero Garden Harvest, extra grow sponges, and some bare rooted strawberry plants! This is going to be amazing if I can grow strawberries year round for Ollie. :starshower1:

Also going to be interesting to compare the Aero Garden with the Click and Grow.

OK, keep us posted with pix. :yes3:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie

Check on the site, I think you have to get a growbowl to plant strawberries, and the bowl is not usable with the Harvest. @Farlie
Now you can grow delicious, ripe strawberries all year long in your Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Ultra, Bounty, or BountyElite! Enjoy the taste of summer, even when it's cold outside.
Each Kit comes with 10 Live Strawberry Crowns ready for immediate planting, one season AeroGarden Liquid Nutrients, and instructions for planting the strawberries. This kit is for use with your AeroGarden Grow Bowl and Grow Media (not included).

https://www.aerogarden.com/media/wysiwyg/kbase/506622-0000_GrowBowl_10_21_15.pdf

I'd give them a call right away or ask one of us in the USA to call and check. also can live plants be imported to your Jersey Channel Islands?

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have the harvest and its great. Never could get it to operate with WiFi.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@Fuzzy well, I called Aerogro, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask a few questions.
The Harvest cannot be used to grow strawberries. you must have the bowl which doesn't fit the Harvest.
Aerogro will not ship strawberry plants off continental USA, shipping takes too long.
Strawberries are shipped as plants and cannot be grown in pods, you must have a bowl to plant them.
She is wondering if you got a click n grow, but as you already have that I'd think you'd know the difference.
I think you might want to call whoever you placed the order with asap.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
@Fuzzy well, I called Aerogro, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask a few questions.
The Harvest cannot be used to grow strawberries. you must have the bowl which doesn't fit the Harvest.
Aerogro will not ship strawberry plants off continental USA, shipping takes too long.
Strawberries are shipped as plants and cannot be grown in pods, you must have a bowl to plant them.
She is wondering if you got a click n grow, but as you already have that I'd think you'd know the difference.
I think you might want to call whoever you placed the order with asap.
Thank you so much for finding all that out for me, Debbie! That was so kind! I would like to keep the Harvest anyway even if I can't grow strawberries. But have a look at Farley's link to someone growing strawberries just over a third of the way down on page 4. I was hoping to emulate him....

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I've read that strawberries love Hydroponics and grow very well. I believe that whoever you talked to was just trying to advertise their product. To be honest, I understand that Miracle-Gro AeroGarden is not the best way to go and should be avoided.

We should not have any issues with our AreoGarden strawberry adventure. :)

I've read and watched (YouTube) that you can grow most anything using Hydroponics. :)

I'm getting 10 plants, NOT seeds, for $10 from Amazon. I'm not going to start strawberries from seeds.
Amazon.com : Seascape Everbearing Strawberry 10 Bare Root Plants - BEST FLAVOR : Garden & Outdoor

NOTE:
You might want to wait until I get my stuff first. I'll keep everybody posted as to how things are going with strawberries. :)

This is what I've ordered;
splants.jpg

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Thank you so much for finding all that out for me, Debbie! That was so kind! I would like to keep the Harvest anyway even if I can't grow strawberries. But have a look at Farley's link to someone growing strawberries just over a third of the way down on page 4. I was hoping to emulate him....
OK, if you want to try it, that's great. I just didn't want you to spend $$ for something that wouldn't definitely work or be what you pictured.
It certainly looks like it has worked great in the video!
I only now watched just the beginning of the video and I heartily agree to plant high. That's a big problem even in soil gardens.
So, you know I have a soft spot for Ollie and I sure do hope it works to grow strawberries for him!
I'll be "rooting" for you!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
:thankyou: Debbie. I believe you've been misled but we'll see. :yes3:
(Shucks, I have been wrong one other time this year so far... :rofl: )

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
:thankyou: Debbie. I believe you've been misled but we'll see. :yes3:
(Shucks, I have been wrong one other time this year so far... :rofl: )
oh, no I wasn't believing one thing over another. I'm just chronically short on time and didn't feel like sitting thru a 5 min video so I missed all that info.
I knew Aerogro had a bowl for them though so my info was limited. Aerogro wasn't giving me a hard sell, just answering my questions based on their products...since a Harvest model was involved.
I spent 20 years as a research botanist with Dept. Interior. I've done and seen many crazy things in lab and field. Plants can just blow your mind. So, I believe it has a good chance to work for you guys using the alternative method! I just didn't want people to spend money that is dear and be disappointed, but seems like you've got a good plan so go for it!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
It's so great to discuss the pros and cons of how to grow things here. It was good to have Aero Garden's input too. Click and Grow only supply wild strawberries which are tiny... but better than nothing (I have one growing).

With Click and Grow the roots are unable to grow further than the pod.... ie. no roots are able to get into the reservoir, so I am guessing that maybe you end up with smaller plants?? Very interested to compare the results with the two methods.

Wow Debbie - a research botanist for 20 years? What an amazing job to have had!

I got bare rooted strawberry plants too, Rick. Just 5 of them. Then panicked that maybe the roots might be too many to squish into the pod, so got some mini plug plants too which I will experiment with washing the soil off. The ones I don't use, I will plant outside.

Looking forward to our strawberry adventure!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
... The ones I don't use, I will plant outside.

Looking forward to our strawberry adventure!
Yes, me too.
I think I'll do strawberries first cus I can freeze them and also share my experiences too.
I wish I had an outside to plant things.

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
One day you will have an outdoor to grow things, Rick. You may have to do a little of Debbie's Guerrilla Gardening until then! What a neat idea!!!

Ooooh thanks Dianne - I have just joined! :dance4:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was on that forum and learned quite a bit. Sort of lost interest after while. Let us know how it goes.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
@Fuzzy why don't you join the aerogarden forum? I think it's on their web page.

:thanks: Dianne.

I have an Asian neighbor who has gotten permission to dig up a small section of our lawn in the back of our apartments and has grown a mini garden back there. She's on vacation right now but I understand she loves strawberries so when she gets back I'll ask her.

Amazon just notified me that my strawberry plants will arrive this Friday, days end. :thumbsup:

NOTE:
I just finished watching a video that mentioned growing fruit can attract those little tiny flies/gnats.
That will be a major issue if that happens. :headsmack:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have an Asian neighbor who has gotten permission to dig up a small section of our lawn in the back of our apartments and has grown a mini garden back there. She's on vacation right now but I understand she loves strawberries so when she gets back I'll ask her.
I just finished watching a video that mentioned growing fruit can attract those little tiny flies/gnats.
That will be a major issue if that happens.
Glad they'd have a place to grow there.
about tiny flies....fruit flies would indeed be able to complete their life cycle in fruit as the larvae mature and eat the fruit But fungus gnats which are smaller can't seem to get much going in hydroponics. Their larvae mature in the soil and they can't find any, although a few may be able to do it in exposed roots of strawberry plants planted high I suppose but it wouldn't be many. Fungus gnats are a big reason I went to hydroponics as it seems any bagged soil I buy anymore is infested with fungus gnat larvae and I got tired of outbreaks. There were only ever a couple around the aerogro and lots around soil plants. Finally got rid of them all with yellow sticky cards (not recommended around birds) and BT applications to soil. My Venta airwasher was a surprising gem in attracting and drowning them too!