• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My baby budgie cant fly - Help- Sad Update Post #109

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Found something on his wing. It's just on one side. Is this normal?

He could fly a little bit more today.
It's normal. Sometimes when a pin feather grows it can get damaged and grow wrong. Or a follicle can be damaged. Sometimes they can get misplaced (tangled) which is often sorted when the birds preen. Nothing to worry about.
Birds like most things in nature are never naturally symmetrical.
As his tail grows he'll gain more control, become more confident and fly a lot more. It won't be long before you're retrieving from some awkward high place.

Last edited:

Canon

Strolling the yard
Thank you. I cut cucumber in little pieces and gave a bit seeds on the top. He doesn't touch it at all :(

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How much does he weigh? My adult male budgies are around 35 g each.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
He just looks like a fluffy baby to me, but you cant really tell weight by a picture.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't have a scale :(
I highly recommend getting one! Weight changes can be an early indication of a health problem in a bird. They tend to hide their symptoms as long as they can so they won't be kicked out of the flock. By the time a bird looks sick, it is very, very sick. Just a simple, digital kitchen scale would work.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just a simple, digital kitchen scale would work.
Needs to weigh to the gram. Some don't.
My Angel looks a little tubby too but she's bang on 30 grams.
Is he always low like that when standing? Is there anything going on with his feet, particularly his left foot?

Canon

Strolling the yard
Well, I don't know. He can't walk properly and often lays down on his belly. He flew like 2 meters today from his cage. Was definitely more than normally. I recorded it with my cellphone.

Here is a link

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Video can be seen now. What do you think?
Won't stream for me. I have things setup to prevent certain scripts from running in my browser, for security reasons. Do you have a YouTube account?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Nevermind, I bypassed and watched it. He's doing so well.
I think it'll be easier for him inside the cage if you were to get some platform perches for him. Clearly his foot/feet are bad in some way so platforms will make it a lot easier for him to rest. Something like these:
I'm going to tag @Zara into the conversation. She has a lot more experience of this than me with her lovebird, Adelie.

Last edited:

Canon

Strolling the yard
Thank you so much. Going to order one of those "perches" (thanks for that new word i learned) :)

Do you think he will be able to fly in 1-2 weeks? I won't give him pure seeds anymore. Cucumber with a bit seeds on the top, so he eats less fat. As you can clearly notice i am worrying a bit about him all the time.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Still give him seeds. You can make them healthier by sprouting them.
There's lots of ideas about what to feed him in the food forum, and lots more ideas how to move him to a healthier diet.
The fact is I think flying is still new to him. He struggled to perch anywhere so never had a good height to lift off. His flight muscles will be weak because of this. I think the more you can get him to fly the quicker he'll build up that strength, and his confidence.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A scale is a very handy piece of kit, especially for a bit who is having some problems. It´s hard to know what will lead to being underweight, under eating or overeating. And it is good to track and monitor the weight frequently.

As he is not the best flyer, maybe you could roll a rug out, or a duvet to soften any landings.

I have a girl who´s not so great on her feet but she is good with her wings, though she only flew well later in life. I would be close by to catch her from falls. she had a low down cage, only 18inches tall, 30 inches wide, and no grate. You could add a blanket on the bottom if you have a grate in your cage, or take it out.
Make sure you keep things functional, so if you bird is always down on the floor, then bring the food, water and toys down too. But not everything, leave a couple of toys higher to encourage movement around the cage. I tried to keep the top part quite clear for little flights to practise in there, and not too many perches as to not bang on them while flapping wings.
I was able to make platforms from cardboard, and just rested them on those cheap plastic ¨perches¨(they are the junk ones sometimes found in petshops, mine came free with a cage), clipped in place with a bulldog clip.
In time my girl moved into a big flight cage as her skills developed and now she is fine in there and can manoever the cage well, hopefully something similar will happen with your bird, where they will get better in time :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think it'll be easier for him inside the cage if you were to get some platform perches for him. Clearly his foot/feet are bad in some way so platforms will make it a lot easier for him to rest. Something like these:
Wagner sell some platforms and nice cork platforms if you´re not an amazon fan. Wagners are the same company that make the Montana cages I believe :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I also suggested a scale in this thread. You can get a kitchen scale that weighs in grams for less money than the ones for birds. Train him to step up on it.