• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My baby budgie cant fly - Help- Sad Update Post #109

Canon

Strolling the yard
Interesting!

I am so happy that he can sit on the wood now. He still sits with his belly on the wood but at least he doesn't fall down. I put some bird chirping on YouTube in and he started to chirp! I am astonished that his tail feather grows so fast. How cute is this guy? Could look at him literally the whole day :)

Next step: flying :)

Canon

Strolling the yard
I saw on Facebook another budgie that looked exactly the same in regard to his age and the owner said that his budgie cant fly either and doesnt have a long tail-feather. So I am optimistic.

Tail feather is growing. Direct comparison. 1,5 half days between.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Give him time. He will get there. It's also good for him to be practicing climbing and using his beak to get from place to place. You may find that once he is steady on the perch he may start flapping his wings in place. This is also good practice for him. He looks so much like my little guy "Scout". Scout was clutzy and awkward when I first got him 2 months ago and now he is a better flyer that my hen Sam. Incidentally, I lived in Germany for 4 years back in the 80's. Loved it!

Canon

Strolling the yard
Okay, I will give him time. No changes so far except that he can sit on the wood for longer now.

By the way, where did you live in Germany? And what exactly did you love? :)

Last edited:

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Okay, I will give him time. No changes so far except that he can sit on the wood for longer now.

By the way, where did you live in Germany? And what exactly did you love? :)
My husband and I were stationed in Lahr, Germany with the Canadian Forces from 1984-1988. I loved the Rhine Valley, the Black Forest, the food, the white wine (lol) and of course, the people who treated us so well.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Incidentally, I lived in Germany for 4 years back in the 80's. Loved it!
Loads of people has spent some time in Germany. I was there 1973-75 in Potsdam when my dad was posted to RAF Gatow. Then I was posted to Westfalen 1988-91.
I agree. The food, the people and just how clean and tidy it is everywhere. Everyone should at least visit.
It's clearly visible in my profile my name is Linden, after Unter den Linden in Berlin.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh Thank you! Sky blue sounds so nice. My family and I have always had budgies for the last 15 years. One was blue with a yellow head and all the other were blue with a white head. I like this color very much.

I see that some of you are from Australia. I feel like speaking to people from a different planet or so because for us Europeans, Australia is so far from anything we know and have seen. During my English studies at university we had to learn a lot about nearly all English-speaking countries. In our lessons they often said that people have huge houses there and big mansons due to the wide land that comes when you leave the more populated coastline. That is something I just can dream off like having a huge mansion and shacks with birds and a lot of land where I can live freely. Furthermore you have beaches and its warm all year long. We are freezing here right now and you can't nearly leave the house without 2 pullovers, 2 pair of socks and a big jacket. Lucky you! :)

@Shezbug Hello! I have seen that you have an Aras-parrot. WOW! Are there anywhere pics of him or a threat that I could read?
Warm in Aus all year round huh?? Huge houses like mansions? I gotta move there lol. We are going to actually have a cooler Christmas than we’ve had for a while- under 30C this year which will be a nice change for most.
It is funny the things we are told or think about other countries- I think I’m constantly asking bizarre questions about American food because I’m so blown away by the things I see they have that I didn’t know about :laugh:

Canon

Strolling the yard
Loads of people has spent some time in Germany. I was there 1973-75 in Potsdam when my dad was posted to RAF Gatow. Then I was posted to Westfalen 1988-91.
I agree. The food, the people and just how clean and tidy it is everywhere. Everyone should at least visit.
It's clearly visible in my profile my name is Linden, after Unter den Linden in Berlin.
Oh, nice to hear. Didn't see the connection between Linden and Unter den Linden. Well, yes it's clean in the southern parts even more but it's cold here and we don't have much space like in Australia or the U.S. Moreover renting an apartment is just expensive, at least in the the cities.
Nordrhein-Westfalen has the coolest people by far. They have their own dialect and welcome everyone.

Canon

Strolling the yard
My husband and I were stationed in Lahr, Germany with the Canadian Forces from 1984-1988. I loved the Rhine Valley, the Black Forest, the food, the white wine (lol) and of course, the people who treated us so well.
Cool! I have never heard about this city but checked it out, its in the state next to Bavaria between Bavaria and France. Yes they are well-known for wine there.

I wouldn't have thought that you guys all already have been in front of my door. :)

Canon

Strolling the yard
I never knew anything about parakeets except that these animals are birds and are kept together in a cage. That's it.

When my father had his first budgie who started to talk and interact like an aware being, I started to see the beauty in these animals. After reflecting a lot about pets I fully understood that parakeets are so special. You don't have to go out every 4 hours like with a dog. They don't need much, are mostly physically small and don't need much space. In return they give so much back when well treated and moreover look so crazily cute. I am fully in love with birds. :)

When I show my budgie to others, they are mostly like "oh wow, ein Wellensittich - kind of sarcastical" as though this animals couldn't do nothing except chirping but these people have simply no experience with them like me in the past.

Canon

Strolling the yard
I am always impressed by the behavior of parakeets. They kind of get silent when you want to rest and once you get active they start as well. It's as though they are somehow connected with your mind.

Baby boy still eats the whole day but changed the name finally back to Knuffl.

Knuffl is German and could be translated as cuddler or cuddle-baby.

Canon

Strolling the yard
When do you think will knuffl start to fly? Is 2 weeks realistic? And what function does this tail feather have?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He is really cute!!
They use their tails to help balance and also for landing. If you watch some videos of birds coming in to land (you can see it really well on footage of macaws landing) you’ll see them spread the tail out wide and kind of pulling it under their bodies a bit to help them slow down and land.
My little one is busy nearly all day either chattering, playing or eating- they do seem to eat all the time lol.

Canon

Strolling the yard
He is really cute!!
They use their tails to help balance and also for landing. If you watch some videos of birds coming in to land (you can see it really well on footage of macaws landing) you’ll see them spread the tail out wide and kind of pulling it under their bodies a bit to help them slow down and land.
My little one is busy nearly all day either chattering, playing or eating- they do seem to eat all the time lol.
Thank you! Where can I see pictures of your Aras?

Update: I will give knuffl from now on veggies and he managed to jump from the bottom of the cage up to the woods. Tail feather is growing.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

There’s a few other threads in macaw motorway with pictures of Burt too if you wish to search for more :)