• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Mutilating

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Good news! Can't wait until you can get her.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
This thread breaks my heart!
Sending you and Target thoughts and prayers for a safe and complete recovery.
He's so lucky to be owned by you!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm so glad it went well. in my thoughts and prayers.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The doctor is pretty sure it's behavioural when I talked to him, because the blood results came back fine. It bugs me that he's going to that conclusion so quickly, before doing more tests. He says there's a possibility that there's a tumor there bothering her, but it's an unlikely spot. Or it may be arthritis bothering her. But he keeps on skirting the issue when I ask what other tests should be done. Keeps on saying we need to wait until she's healed first, which I understand, but I also need a plan of action.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Josie, don't let your vet off the hook. There are too many of these birds around that are mutilating - they all can't be behavioral. Even my vet who I idolize doesn't have many ideas or much information about self-mutilation. He mentioned the possibility of Sarcocystosis which is contracted from Opossums. Some vets believe that the mutilation can be caused by atherosclerosis deep in capillaries or within the brain. Some believe it could be caused by displaced pain from an inflammation somewhere in the body. In other words no one seems to know much about non-behavioral mutilation.

I asked him once about the mutilating being the result of a virus and he said there are about 50 viruses that birds contract and how would you ever know which one to test for. Hank's Carcinogenic Thyroid Tumor that killed him was caused by a virus.

I hoe you keep your vet on his toes and keep us updated.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I know this is a weird thing too, but we were talking about it somewhere else. Maybe there is a noise/ or tone she is hearing from somewhere that makes her nervous. Gerard was suffering from migraines really bad, went through all this testing only to find it was something from his sound system.
There is a noise/tone that they use in convenience store parking lots at night to keep teens away. Only they can hear it, mature ears can't lol It is an AWFUL sound to them and makes them crazy.
Anyway, just another thing to think about.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
One day at a time.... :bluhug:

I have a pretty bad mutilation case happening right now.... the vets have NO answers and I have run every darn test I can get my hands on! When my favorite vet ran out of ideas I switched vets and continued.

Allergies, heavy metals, water quality, air quality, do a cbc and chem, fecal swabs, I went as far as to have a biopsy done that my vet told me would yield nothing. Asper, giardia... we are now working on hormones and cardiovascular issues. There has to be an answer.

If he starts chewing again the list is endless for you as it is for me. One day at a time is all you can do.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We are BACK! :D Target is doing very well, very alert and very active (a little too active actually lol).

My doctor is super weird. No cone of shame, no bandage, no antibiotics... sent me home with just a bit of painkiller. "Less is more," he says. Let's hope she doesn't pick at the sutures too much. Recheck next Thursday to remove the stitches.

Target was so cute when she first saw us. Let out a holler of happiness and did her weird little dance. Maybe she thought we abandoned her lol

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad everything went well! I am so surprised he did not collar her! Please watch her closely as the stitches will bother her and she may mess with them. :hug8:

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
There is a noise/tone that they :blink:use in convenience store parking lots at night to keep teens away. Only they can hear it, mature ears can't lol It is an AWFUL sound to them and makes them crazy.
Anyway, just another thing to think about.

:blink: Is this serious or are you just trying to see how gullible we are? :blink:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad everything went well! I am so surprised he did not collar her! Please watch her closely as the stitches will bother her and she may mess with them. :hug8:
Yeah. I asked both doctors in the clinic multiple times about a collar. They said hawkheads in particular do not take well to being collared, and may end up doing more harm than good. They will collar her if necessary, but only as a last resort (i.e. she is actively tearing out the stitches). I don't know... I'm having to scold Target every five minutes not to scratch at the wound. I don't know how long I can keep this up lol.

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry you are going through this. Sending prayers, and best thoughts that Target recovers soon.

jeme3

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
So glad she got through surgery and is home recuperating. Best wishes for a full recovery and a solution to the mutilating.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Yeah. I asked both doctors in the clinic multiple times about a collar. They said hawkheads in particular do not take well to being collared, and may end up doing more harm than good. They will collar her if necessary, but only as a last resort (i.e. she is actively tearing out the stitches). I don't know... I'm having to scold Target every five minutes not to scratch at the wound. I don't know how long I can keep this up lol.
I will say that my hawkhead did not do well in a collar. She actually threw herself down on the ground (not far, I was holding her close to it) and wouldn't get up for anything. She did take to a sock sweater just fine though. She didn't mutilate, but was (and still is) a long time plucker. If you need any info on that in the future I can send you pics and info on how we made them and what type of sock to use. I still would try Patti Lemaire's collar just in case. The one I had for gypsy was soft but didn't fit the same. Was more restrictive than hers. Emu oil is good for healing skin with mutilating birds, from what I've heard also. So sorry you both are going through this. I know it must be heartbreaking:sadhug2:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Dr. O is now wondering about nerve pain in these pluckers/mutilators. We tried everything under the sun for Giggie. A daily dose of gabapentin seems to work for her. But it's one of those drugs that either works or doesn't.