• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Mutilating

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here's a wake-up call for people who are wondering whether or not to get another bird. Do not. The potential expenses are astronomical. Save that money for your existing birds.
I certainly second that Josie. Hank cost tens of thousands of dollars in medical care and Jasper has cost several thousand in the last 14 months. It isn't likely to happen to any single person, but it can happen - then what do you say to the bird, "Just go ahead and die"?

I'm thinking of you and Target with the very best thoughts I can drum up.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:thinking of you!

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh my, I hope she gets better soon :sadhug2:

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
I will keep her in my thoughts tomorrow.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Target sure landed in the best home, be proud of yourself that you will do anything to help him have a good life. Don't feel bad about not seeing it, because you DID see it. Some wouldn't have and others wouldn't have cared. You did good!

vet bills
Yes, my free bird just cost me $900 to stay in the maternity ward at the bird hospital.
My grand puppy just cost me $500 because he had a tiny scratch that got infected.
Then there was Bea, she was so expensive. :(

I feel bad when they give you the estimate and say "so, what do you want to do?" Knowing there are people who would say, no way.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Target sure landed in the best home, be proud of yourself that you will do anything to help him have a good life. Don't feel bad about not seeing it, because you DID see it. Some wouldn't have and others wouldn't have cared. You did good!

vet bills
Yes, my free bird just cost me $900 to stay in the maternity ward at the bird hospital.
My grand puppy just cost me $500 because he had a tiny scratch that got infected.
Then there was Bea, she was so expensive. :(

I feel bad when they give you the estimate and say "so, what do you want to do?" Knowing there are people who would say, no way.
Oh Bea :sadhug2: Glad Cyd is feeling better though!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Wanted to add that the vet trimmed her beak today and blunted it right down, so it would be harder for her to chew herself. Not so sure I agree with this, but once again, he's the doctor. I don't know.

This is a guy that knows his stuff. If you want someone to quit cutting themselves, it sure does help if you can take the knife away. Extreme situations. Extreme solutions. (It's not really that extreme because the beak will get sharp again quick enough).

Last edited:

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Poor baby. I'm glad Target has a parront like you who would be willing to help her. I wish you two the best of luck. :goodluck::fingerscrossed:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Greycloud I think I remember you use a soft collar for Dexter? Do you have that lady's contact info? I may need to keep one on hand.

I can imagine Target would be really upset in a collar, so the less obtrusive the better.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Greycloud I think I remember you use a soft collar for Dexter? Do you have that lady's contact info? I may need to keep one on hand.

I can imagine Target would be really upset in a collar, so the less obtrusive the better.

Yes @JosienBB her name is Patti Lemaire. Here is her email addy. Tell her I sent you! parrotretweet@q.com

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Judy uses the honey with great success I've heard.

I hope your little guy starts to feel better soon. The mutilation is extremely hard to watch. I completely understand how you could have missed it, even my vet missed a very large sore on my bird that was not seen until the following appointment when he was sedated. The downy feathers make it impossible to find.

:hug5:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that her surgery goes well today.

Matt