• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Murphy, English Budgie

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
love those fluffy cheeks

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Guess I should stop bragging about him or I will bore all of you. I took him out of the cage about 4 pm and invited 2 friends that love birds to come see him. Murphy could not have been a better bird. He steps up, loves to shoulder sit and is just so well behaved. He seems to really like people. My 90 year old neighbor especially loves Murphy. I took a photo of him with her. With her permission I am posting it.
Priceless :kiss2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I submitted this photo to a busy artist on FB today and she will draw him in a picture that I will color. She is very busy though so it may take some time. Today is the 5th full day with Murphy. I am not used to such a quiet, peaceful bird who readily stands on your arm or finger. He was in my lap earlier today and flew horizontally to his cage and climbed to the top. I hope that gave him a bit of confidence and feeling that he can do something he wants to do.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
he's so cute! lovely picture!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I submitted this photo to a busy artist on FB today and she will draw him in a picture that I will color. She is very busy though so it may take some time. Today is the 5th full day with Murphy. I am not used to such a quiet, peaceful bird who readily stands on your arm or finger. He was in my lap earlier today and flew horizontally to his cage and climbed to the top. I hope that gave him a bit of confidence and feeling that he can do something he wants to do.
How refreshing , big difference with hand raising.

With a bit of luck , you got a mellow bird, time will tell if remains so quiet when he settles in more . ;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
English Budgies are generally mellow in temperament. I don't understand why there are so few breeders.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
English Budgies are generally mellow in temperament. I don't understand why there are so few breeders.
I saw one the other day at our local pet store, he/she was pretty, very gentle and dignified.
Complete opposite It appears from the American budgie.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
March 7th Updating on Murphy

I am concerned about his nutrition. I still don't think he is eating much. I have presented him with all kinds of nice, graded veggies with apples grated, hung veggies and greens in the cage, put in a bowl, mixed millet in them and he has yet to dip his beak into them. I am cooking the last of the corn I froze because I know that helps put some wt. on them. Borrowed a scale today and his first wt. is only 41 gm That s not much for an English Budgie. The food he is eating is from the breeder and it is a seed mix with a few veggies and some kind of pellet. I mix that with a ground mix of Harrisons pellets from the breeder too. I throw in this mix some of the birdie bread I made. This is about all he eats in small amounts. Droppings look normal but wt. should be above 45 gm at least.

Yesterday I put him in the small travel cage and took him downstairs for socialization with other residents here. We were playing a game while he was with us. He ate the millet that I put in the cage and seemed to like the atmosphere. His temperament is great and he will chirp and sing with the music of other birds he hears. So that's about it for the update. Anyone have any ideas on getting him to eat please let me know. I realize birds do not eat as much when they are not flying so growing in those flights cant be soon enough but I think that's months away.

Here is the message I just received from the breeder who does not seem to be worried:

Once he gets a little older he will begin eating more things. The food you got with him is enriched with not only organic seeds but chopped nuts, veg, fruit in addition to pellets. The starter crumbles is extruded diets so his appetite needs are totally full filled. Offer him some scrambled eggs mixed with Lafebers vit powder if you want him to have more.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You might try sprouting seeds for him. Get him eating those, then mix in fresh food diced up into tiny pieces! (this is where a really good blender or food processor comes in handy!)

Alternatively, provide the new foods first thing in the morning with no other foods in the cage. (i.e. remove all 'old' foods at night when it's time for him to sleep) Keep the new foods in the cage for at least 1 hour prior to giving him his regular food. You can still sprinkle a smidge of seeds onto the new foods to at least get him to go and check them out.

:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I can try taking out the food dish at night, Usually birds don't eat during the night anyway. Thanks Monica.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wednesday: This morning I put 3 dishes of warmed food on top of cage in the small, flat dishes. It was a combo of quinoa, peas, corn, carrots, broccoli, apples and sweet potato. Murphy had not eating from his seed bowl as I could tell. He sat on the edge of the cage top for about 35 minutes and did nothing. Then I switched and put the foods in his regular stainless steel bowl back in the cage. He hopped over and sat on the edge of the bowl looking at the food as if he were going to eat it. He did this for 45 minutes but did not even dip his beak into the food. Pretty soon now I will put the seed blend back in his cage. I will try this routine each morning for a while and see if he progresses to even taste it.

His little keel bone is so prominent. I know you all say he will not starve himself but nonetheless I am concerned.

Attachments

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Maybe play budgie videos while he eats?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its ok I was just venting about his lack of eating this am. I really think I will just continue on as I am, attempting to get him to eat and perhaps one day he will dip that beautiful beak in the food. Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
Congats on getting Murphy! He looks so sweet! I never get bored with anyones animal stories! And especially budgies...love their colors...love their chatter...they can always cheer you up..they always sound happy!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks Debbie.