• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Minimum Cage/Bar spacing

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
would a 1'in bar spacing be suitable for a sun conure? I am saving up for a SS cage and for the size and style I want, they only offer 1 inch. :'(
I find I can't really find big cages with smaller bar spacings.
YeahMeeeToooooo! lol...just asked the same question.
Have you read this (or this type of info) Natural Inspirations on cage sizes? Thats when I began to dream bigger for my Sennie. I found a huge aviary-style (for indoor) at Cages by Design, and I think Ki would love it.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't see why a senegal couldn't live full time in an aviary type cage :)

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I don't see why a senegal couldn't live full time in an aviary type cage :)
Oh, thank you..! I know some of them don't look like thay are as heavy of strong? and some don't have feed cups...but I am willing to make it custom on my own if I have to! lol I have an engineer friend who could help me. (being an artist, I'm coming up with some new designs for bird cages based on beauty for both the owner AND the bird. ) I thought that if I get the 4' aviary mentioned above, I'd replace the awful metal top with a custom built acrylic dome. Since the rest of the cage is 1/2x4" 8 gauge wire, he'd get plenty of air flow. I will also be able to make a magnet/cover that fits at the top as well as a "cap" for the dome.

Your Hawk-head is GORGEOUS!!! I saw one for the first time the other day! *squeeeeeeeee* love at first sight.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
YeahMeeeToooooo! lol...just asked the same question.
Have you read this (or this type of info) Natural Inspirations on cage sizes? Thats when I began to dream bigger for my Sennie. I found a huge aviary-style (for indoor) at Cages by Design, and I think Ki would love it.

oooh I will take a look, thank you! :highfive:

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
oooh I will take a look, thank you! :highfive:
Arrrghh! Just when I find a cage "I" like, I get more feedback & learn new things...and remember that it's for Ki. lol I don't think the aviary is good after all. I mean, its beautiful to look at, but it's not horizontal space, which he needs to hop/fly/spread wings etc,... For 7 years, he has hardly ever used the bottom 2/3rds of his cage.

phial004

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a rainbow lorikeet but I too am finding it hard to find a large cage with narrow spacings. Does anyone know if a rainbow would be alright with 3cm spacing (that's 1.18")?

jitin02

Sprinting down the street
[quote="@atvchick95

Cockatiels 20 x 20 cage - 1/2" inch to 5/8"

So you mean for my 2 cockateils I must have 40 X 40 cage or 31 X 31 X .. will work?[/quote]

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

yann

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
yan
the minimum stated here is like....very rarely seen where i am! i'm always appalled at how small the cages are for the fids here. good to know that there are others that insist on bigger cages :)

NikNak70

Real Name
Nikki
My TAG has a 1 inch cage, and she's always sticking her head out. Didn't even think about it when I bought the cage, stupid me.
Hi I just got a cage for my Lorikeet (3 months old) and I was advised the bigger the better which I agreed with. Assembled the cage our bird loves it and then low and behold he stuck his head out of the bars (they are 1 inch apart) freaked us right out and now I don't know what to do!! Any advice would be appreciated.

NikNak70

Real Name
Nikki
I have a rainbow lorikeet but I too am finding it hard to find a large cage with narrow spacings. Does anyone know if a rainbow would be alright with 3cm spacing (that's 1.18")?
Hi just wondering what you ended up getting? We just purchased a big cage and the spacing is 2.4cm and our Lorry stuck his head out! Now we aren't sure what to do!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@NikNak70 This is a very old thread and I do not think either of those members have posted here for some time.

I think you may need to consider another cage with the appropriate bar spacing unless you are quite handy with DIY and can add some appropriate sized wire to cover the whole cage but you would need to ensure there are no places the bird could catch it's toes or injure itself.