• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Minimum Cage/Bar spacing

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Keep in mind this is a Minimum cage size and intended for a SINGLE bird

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]
[/FONT]Budgies, parotlets, lovebirds 18 x 18 cage - 1/2" to 5/8"

Cockatiels 20 x 20 cage - 1/2" inch to 5/8"

Conures 22 x 24 cage - 5/8" to 3/4"

Caiques, Small mini macaw 24 x 24 cage - 5/8" to 1"

Amazons, African Greys Medium Size birds 32 x 23 cage - 3/4" 1" bar spacing 4mm bars

Macaws, cockatoo, Larger Amazons 36 x 24 cage - 1inch bar space 5mm bars

Large Macaws, Large Cockatoos 40 x 30 cage - 1inch bar space 5mm bars [FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]
[/FONT]

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for the information

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
My TAG has a 1 inch cage, and she's always sticking her head out. Didn't even think about it when I bought the cage, stupid me.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Monica, do you still use the cage? That could be dangerous....would scare me silly!

Chooper is a CAG and has 1" but those TAGS are a little smaller I guess.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Monica, do you still use the cage? That could be dangerous....would scare me silly!

Chooper is a CAG and has 1" but those TAGS are a little smaller I guess.
I thought to replace it, but it hasn't been a problem. She loves her house and doesn't want to get out when I'm not home. And when I'm home, I let her out right away. Even if I do not, her head is small enough so it doesn't get stuck. She puts her head out at the same spot, which is somehow even wider than an inch.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh ok...I guess she would only try to get out if you were there, but she is out then anyway....

True Love Aviary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rodney Money
Keep in mind this is a Minimum cage size and intended for a SINGLE bird

Budgies, parotlets, lovebirds 18 x 18 cage - 1/2" to 5/8"
Thank you so much the wonderful information. I would like to personally warn everyone that I would not go bigger than 1/2 for the smaller birds. The proof was this morning when I caught my blue budgie girl Hedwig in Emma's, our amazon, food bowl with the cage door shut! She squeezed her little booty through the 5/8 bars. Emma did not do anything except telling me, "Get this other bird out of my bowl, Daddy! I'm hungry", but it could have been very bad non the less.

Also, the smaller birds prefer 1/2 because it is easier to climb and grasp with their small toes. The only small species listed that could possibly live in 5/8 would be a large lovebird like a Peach-face, IMHO.
~Rodney

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
thanks for the information
Your welcome

Thank you so much the wonderful information. I would like to personally warn everyone that I would not go bigger than 1/2 for the smaller birds. The proof was this morning when I caught my blue budgie girl Hedwig in Emma's, our amazon, food bowl with the cage door shut! She squeezed her little booty through the 5/8 bars. Emma did not do anything except telling me, "Get this other bird out of my bowl, Daddy! I'm hungry", but it could have been very bad non the less.

Also, the smaller birds prefer 1/2 because it is easier to climb and grasp with their small toes. The only small species listed that could possibly live in 5/8 would be a large lovebird like a Peach-face, IMHO.
~Rodney
I thought 5/8" was a bit big too so i checked several different ones and they listed no bigger then 5/8" but all my cages except for my conure and Indian Ringneck are 1/2"

Maybe i should change that to just a 1/2"

MorningGloria

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Celeste
I think the large difference in size should also be noted for the Conure family. While 24 x 22 may be "ok" for the smaller species like a St. Thomas Conure, a Blue-Crowned would be miserable. :(

So take your birds particular size into consideration as well as his subspecies. There are many variations in size even within the subspecies! (For example my Gold Cap is listed as averaging 12" in most information books and sites. Mine is a little closer to 14". I've only seen a few sites that list them as such. The Blue-Crown is another that seems to come in many different sizes)

Last edited:

hsmoscout

I completely disagree with all those minimum cage requirements. If I saw a small macaw or caique in a cage that was 24x24 I would report it to the humane society! Let me go get some better guidelines (I realize you didn't write these and I hope you aren't offended by my comments)

hsmoscout

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Budgies: [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]18"x18"x24"[/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]"[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Cockatiels: [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]20"x20"x24"[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Lovebirds and [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Parrotlets: [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]24"x24"x24[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Ringneck Parakeets: [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]24"x24"x36"[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Conures and [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Poicephalus: 30[/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]"x24"x24"[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Caiques, [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Pionus, and [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Jardine's: 30[/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]"x24"x36"[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Amazons, [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Mini Macaws, [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Goffin's Cockatoos, and [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]African Greys: 36[/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]"x36"x48"[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Large Cockatoos: [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]36"x48"x48"[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Large Macaws: [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]36"x48"x60"[/FONT]

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
these are what I've found on 90% of the websites I've looked at through the years that is why they were saved and put on my website. So i could just copy it off since my computer is always going down and i lose my bookmarked pages

humane society won't do anything about a small cage as long as their is food and water

been down that road more then once, and they really don't care if there is food just has to be clean water

but no offense every one has opinions

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
LOL, I also disagree with both of the minimum size cages for Amazons. I always recommend the smallest cage for them be 40" x 30" x 40" (Height not being that important).

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Very good info!!

hsmoscout

LOL, I also disagree with both of the minimum size cages for Amazons. I always recommend the smallest cage for them be 40" x 30" x 40" (Height not being that important).
I agree that even some of the sizes on my list are too small.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I completely disagree with all those minimum cage requirements. If I saw a small macaw or caique in a cage that was 24x24 I would report it to the humane society! Let me go get some better guidelines (I realize you didn't write these and I hope you aren't offended by my comments)

I agree. I believe all medium size birds (from amazons and greys) from large conures(Patty's, etc) to small macaws/cockatoos(severes, redfronts, goffins, ducorps) should be in minimum of 40x30.

For larger cockatoos (Umbrella+) and macaws (blue and gold+) should be in a 48x36 (length and width).

Small birds-medium size conures should be is a cage no smaller than 32x23(length and width).

Cockatiels, budgies, lovies, plets, lennies, etc, should be in a flight cage(30x21(length and width), bare minimum.

We want our birds to thrive not to just survive.

I understand you never wrote it, but I personally dont want any new member to read that and think they can get "bare minimum" and thinking small cages are OK.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Honu was originally in a 24 x 24. It wasn't ideal, but it works as a MINIMUM. We have to remember what the definition of the word minimum is here. He could live comfortably in it with plenty of perches and toys, but he couldn't fully fly around in it. I agree that we want them to thrive, but the idea with minimum is to tell you what a bird can survive comfortably in, and it's up to you to decide whether that suits your life or not. If a bird is only in a cage to sleep, do they really need a 40x30?

When Honu was able to be out at least 8 hours a day, there was no problem having him in that minimum size cause he only used it to quietly play or nap. He hardly used what he had. Now that he only comes out in the evening and has to rotate his time with others, he's been upgraded to the 40x30x70 since I need him to be able to fly and exercise in there.

I think maybe it would be good to have the minimums for birds who need a sleep cage and then a minimum size for birds who are caged most of the day as well because there is a big difference.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
I thought to replace it, but it hasn't been a problem. She loves her house and doesn't want to get out when I'm not home. And when I'm home, I let her out right away. Even if I do not, her head is small enough so it doesn't get stuck. She puts her head out at the same spot, which is somehow even wider than an inch.
I am going to start a new post in this forum about that very thing! It has happened to me, and I think it's important for people to know what happened especially when searching for a cage. Off to post! :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Honu was originally in a 24 x 24. It wasn't ideal, but it works as a MINIMUM. We have to remember what the definition of the word minimum is here. He could live comfortably in it with plenty of perches and toys, but he couldn't fully fly around in it. I agree that we want them to thrive, but the idea with minimum is to tell you what a bird can survive comfortably in, and it's up to you to decide whether that suits your life or not. If a bird is only in a cage to sleep, do they really need a 40x30?

When Honu was able to be out at least 8 hours a day, there was no problem having him in that minimum size cause he only used it to quietly play or nap. He hardly used what he had. Now that he only comes out in the evening and has to rotate his time with others, he's been upgraded to the 40x30x70 since I need him to be able to fly and exercise in there.

I think maybe it would be good to have the minimums for birds who need a sleep cage and then a minimum size for birds who are caged most of the day as well because there is a big difference.

Even for the brids who are not caged all day. Where do they spend most of their time? On top of their tiny cage? So with that in mind, are they truly :o:ut of the cage", as they are forced to spend much of their time on/near their cage. I think everyone should buy a large cage, as it works for the BIRD. It shouldnt matter if it works for the people or not. If they cannot do what works for the bird species that require a big cage, perhaps that species just isnt fit for them.

Unless you have just a tiny sleep cage and the bird spends NO time on/near it until night time, and then only many playstands to forage,etc, then I'd think it'd be ok. And this should be told along with the "minimum" sizes. If you have a tiny cage and your bird is out of its cage most of the day but is ontop of the cage most o fthe day, you need to get a MUCH bigger cage.