• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Minimum Cage/Bar spacing

MorningGloria

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Celeste
Even for the brids who are not caged all day. Where do they spend most of their time? On top of their tiny cage? So with that in mind, are they truly :o:ut of the cage", as they are forced to spend much of their time on/near their cage. I think everyone should buy a large cage, as it works for the BIRD. It shouldnt matter if it works for the people or not. If they cannot do what works for the bird species that require a big cage, perhaps that species just isnt fit for them.
Unless you have just a tiny sleep cage and the bird spends NO time on/near it until night time, and then only many playstands to forage,etc, then I'd think it'd be ok. And this should be told along with the "minimum" sizes. If you have a tiny cage and your bird is out of its cage most of the day but is ontop of the cage most o fthe day, you need to get a MUCH bigger cage.

:iagree:

When I first got Archy he came with a 24 x 24. It was HORRENDOUS. Various online sources and even the pet store said it would be just fine especially since he would only be in it while I was in classes (a few hours a day). Upgrading the cage made a mountain of a difference in his activity level and behavior, and now that I know better I would never, ever go less than 36" unless it is literally just the 12 hours he is covered and sleeping.

You hit the nail on the head when you said what works for the people as opposed to what works for the bird. A bird will likely adapt to a teensy cage, but you'll have a much happier, healthier bird in the long run if he has a cage large enough to flap about.

I think it's understandable to have a minimum when you're starting out. The start up costs can be quite high, but some of the minimums quoted online are just insane. I think small birds like parakeets and canaries get it the worst. :(

Last edited:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Even for the brids who are not caged all day. Where do they spend most of their time? On top of their tiny cage? So with that in mind, are they truly :o:ut of the cage", as they are forced to spend much of their time on/near their cage.
That's an assumption you're making here. I don't know about other people's situations, but when Honu lived in a "minimum" cage he was fully flighted and spent his day flying around the house with us as he pleased. As I said, he went in there to nap or sleep. Just because someone buys a bird a "big" cage doesn't mean they're doing what's right by the bird either.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Andrea, I agree with you there....I buy larger cages as i work full time and I want them to have a good space to enjoy when I am not home....

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
I just went & measured my Meyer's cage after reading this, & he's in a cage with 1 inch bar spacing. I just looked at the measurements around & thought, "Bigger is better!"
Ooops. He doesn't spend much time on the bars anyhow, he's not big on "playing". :shrug:

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
After reading all of this I am looking at my cages and wondering if I made a good choice...Take into consideration I have a single sun conure in one cage and a pair of suns in another.

I took the minimum of 24x24 in mind with me to the store and had seen that many times before. I knew I wanted bigger. Here's my cage:
Amazon.com: HQ 22x17 Bird Cage & Stand for Small & Medium Parrots-Platinum: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more

My single has this exact cage and my pair have it with a dome top which is 3 inches taller. So, the victorian top is 22x27x28 and the dome top is 22x27x30. Is that big enough? My bar spacing is 1/2 in so I'm good there I think.

My birds are clipped but I open the top and door on the single bird's cage. I hold her a few hours a day or walk around with her - watch TV, play with the kids, etc. The pair, before now, was kept in a 22x18x12 their whole life so not only is the cage a huge difference but they get very stressed out when I open it - puffing, hissing, screeching...in time I am sure they will adapt and accept it though...

ohohraptor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mallory Robertson
I was thinking about getting this cage for my Myers once she comes home: http://birdcageportal.com/inc/sdetail/531

It is 32" x 23" x 30". I thought this was a little bigger than the minimum and it was a decent price so I could spend money on nice perches, toys, and maybe a table top play gym or a shower perch. Would it be more beneficial to her to have a bigger cage even if it would limit me from buying the other things for her?

Edited to add: Maybe this one would be better? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OQNVHE/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It is 40.2 x 32.8 x 80(not sure of actual inside cage height).

Last edited:

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I don't know the right answer to that. I decided to wait on bringing a bird home for awhile so the hubby and I could save up until we had enough money to afford everything we want to get. The initial purchase for sure is the most expensive, but I figure I won't decide to replace it with something else since I'm getting what I really want the first time around... In the long run, that actually saves money...

ohohraptor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mallory Robertson
I don't know the right answer to that. I decided to wait on bringing a bird home for awhile so the hubby and I could save up until we had enough money to afford everything we want to get. The initial purchase for sure is the most expensive, but I figure I won't decide to replace it with something else since I'm getting what I really want the first time around... In the long run, that actually saves money...
Well I don't think we'd ever get a bird if I waited until I got everything I wanted for her... ;)

I think I actually may just opt for the bigger cage and get the extra perches etc... as we go.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Well I don't think we'd ever get a bird if I waited until I got everything I wanted for her... ;)

I think I actually may just opt for the bigger cage and get the extra perches etc... as we go.
lol, I'm sure that's exactly how I would've done it if the hubby hadn't gotten in the way :rolleyes:

ohohraptor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mallory Robertson

lol, I'm sure that's exactly how I would've done it if the hubby hadn't gotten in the way :rolleyes:
Hehe, my husband has his reef tank which can get quite pricey so he has nowhere to talk!

DeeDeeeeee

Strolling the yard
i am confused as to the bar spacing. are this meassures minimun or mAximun bar spacing recomended.

44chicken

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shayna
I am a bit confused about the bar spacing as well. I know that each bird is different and what works for some may not work for others too....can we get a clear list of minimums and maximums of bar spacing? :) I have a toddler aged cockatiel and her big girl cage is in transit right now! 22 x 22 x 57 ....I think I can make her a palace out of this! eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
I hope 3/4" bars are ok. I liked this one because of the horizontal bars-great for climbing! What do you all think?
TikaToo spends 80% of her day out and about BTW

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
There's no way I'd put a plet in anything bigger than 1/2 inch bar spacing... Milo's cage has 1/2 inch spacing and I'd be too paranoid about his little head getting stuck in anything even slightly bigger!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I am thinking of getting a Meyer
It comes with a cage which I may not want or need if its not good for the bird.

I'm thinking a Meyers would be better in a 1/2 in or 3/4 in spacing. Considering how appropriate it might be for there feet & beak to climb the cage as when they climb the cage.

I might not want to pay for a cage thats not good.

I read powdercoating is the best.

How can one tell a powdercoated or safe paint/ c oating on a cage?

Just trying to get the best

:confused:

QuincysMom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melanie
I bought Quincy a cage the exact same size he was accustomed to, which was 24x22 1 inch bar spacing. I would have liked to have gone larger, but I simply didn't have the room to. I was told at the store not to go any smaller than his existing cage, which he has lived in his whole life so I didn't....but reading this now, I'm a bit upset that I didn't go larger. He however is only in it to sleep. All play time is spent outside of the cage, or on his play top. I feel bad now.. :(
Here's a pic of his cage before we brought him home...

1150425_10201468733416487_555299644_n.jpg

hockeymomwood

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
These are Phoenix Landings MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS for adoption. Bigger is always better!
Parakeet, Cockatiel, Lovebird,
Quaker, Lory 27w x 24d

. Ringneck, Conure, Pionus, Meyers,
Senegal, multiple small birds 32w x 23 d

. Cape, Jardine, African Grey, Amazon,
Caique, Hawkhead, Eclectus,
Goffin Cockatoo, Bare-Eyed Cockatoo,
Lesser or Medium Sulpher Cockatoo,
Citron Cockatoo 36w x 28 d

. Umbrella Cockatoo,
Greater Sulpher Cockatoo,
Triton Cockatoo, Rose-Breasted Cockatoo,
Moluccan Cockatoo, Military Macaw,
Scarlet Macaw, Blue and Gold Macaw 40 w x 30d

. Greenwing or Hyacinth Macaw 48w x 36 d

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Melanie, IMO 1" bar spacing is much too big for a cockatiel. I would get something with 1/2" if you can. Petco makes a decent 30 x 30 cage with 1/2" spacing and a play top for about $220. A flight cage would be about 32 x 22 and have smaller spacing as well for $110-150.

Edit: ha ha, I see Quincy is definitely not a tiel! Ok, bar spacing is ok, but yes, that cage is really too small for a cockatoo.

Last edited:

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
I really think congos need a bigger suggested cage size, Shadow is in 36x28 and every inch is used daily. Im concidering a bigger cage. Ive seen a few smaller CAGs, but at 438grams he is no giant. My boyfriends teil is in a 32x23( that is a big for a teil) and I couldnt imagine Shadow preforming his acrobatics in there.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
would a 1'in bar spacing be suitable for a sun conure? I am saving up for a SS cage and for the size and style I want, they only offer 1 inch. :'(
I find I can't really find big cages with smaller bar spacings.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I agree. I believe all medium size birds (from amazons and greys) from large conures(Patty's, etc) to small macaws/cockatoos(severes, redfronts, goffins, ducorps) should be in minimum of 40x30.
For larger cockatoos (Umbrella+) and macaws (blue and gold+) should be in a 48x36 (length and width).
Small birds-medium size conures should be is a cage no smaller than 32x23(length and width).
Cockatiels, budgies, lovies, plets, lennies, etc, should be in a flight cage(30x21(length and width), bare minimum.

We want our birds to thrive not to just survive.

I understand you never wrote it, but I personally dont want any new member to read that and think they can get "bare minimum" and thinking small cages are OK.
Have you seen/read this site? Natural Inspirations Parrot Cages
I found them looking for cages, oddly enough, they dont sell cages. :cautious:

Why can't I find a cage that is larger than 48x30 that has 1/2 to 7/8 bar space? I'm so frustrated with the manufacturers who produce based on quantum sales assume that all huge cages are only for the large Macaws (who are gorgeous smart & I love them) . :wtf:

I'm new to forums, so many of you probably have much more experience than I do...I've been researching for months and trying to find a larger cage for my Senegal :heart: (whose genus was not mentioned in the above guidelines lol)

I want to build a Bird-loves-it Habitat for him, not just stick him in a cage.
I have already asked a dumb question, cause I truly do not know- can a Senegal live full time in an aviary type cage? Or are those only for flying for a few hours/day? No one has answered that yet! lol