• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milton continues pulling feathers....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
what about a knot box, Bob? I make them for birds at the clinic. little to big boxes all held together with tons of knots. I know you said he is not food driven but I don't put food in most of them, just shredded newspaper or dollar tree shred. once in a great while walnuts in the shell, pecans in the shell, hazel nuts in the shell, same with almonds. some thing to make it rattle, pop bottle caps, scraps from the 2X4 pile, vine balls, dice would work too. I'll whip little one (cockatiel size) up tomorrow to show you what I am talking about.
That's what I'm thinking about for Milton! :yes3: It would definitely pique his curiosity...and give his claws something to do rather than pluck.
I'll be looking to see what they look like...:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Milton really doesn't do much of that ...except if there's a lock involved! I'm getting a few things together in a "box"...with a fake kind of lock on it. He might get interested if he thinks he's getting away with something...;)
Keno loves locks, too. The box with fake lock sounds interesting but what is a fake kind of lock?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I think as long as Milton THINKS it's a lock, and he's getting away with destroying it it's a good thing. He's pretty smart but as long as it greatly resembles something he loves to destroy it should work to keep him busy and happy.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think as long as Milton THINKS it's a lock, and he's getting away with destroying it it's a good thing. He's pretty smart but as long as it greatly resembles something he loves to destroy it should work to keep him busy and happy.
What exactly would that be, though? A piece of wood shaped like a lock?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well that is the question I spose, you'd have to figure out what works for him. I know Dobby loves to chew and loves those straws so we try to have safe things he can destroy but of course chewing on the forbidden objects always wins out, and he doesn't seem to be bothered by apple bitter which is safe and is of course very bitter. I'm sure Bob knows what would work as he lives with him and knows how smart he is. Will be interesting to see what he comes up with that works, even if it's something new to Milty.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My thought is the lock will be an enticement to Milton. He has learned to remove any lock, up to a combination lock. With them, he closely watches as we spin the dial to open the lock. When we lock it, Milty will turn the lock around and spin the dial back and forth with his beak. :wideyed:
My guess if he sees a "knot box" with a snap lock on it, he will see it as something interesting. He'll snap open the lock, and open the lid, just like he opens the door.
He most definitely will investigate the thing if he sees that I have an interest in it before I put it within his beak range....he pushes my buttons, and I know how to push his...;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My thought is the lock will be an enticement to Milton. He has learned to remove any lock, up to a combination lock. With them, he closely watches as we spin the dial to open the lock. When we lock it, Milty will turn the lock around and spin the dial back and forth with his beak. :wideyed:
My guess if he sees a "knot box" with a snap lock on it, he will see it as something interesting. He'll snap open the lock, and open the lid, just like he opens the door.
He most definitely will investigate the thing if he sees that I have an interest in it before I put it within his beak range....he pushes my buttons, and I know how to push his...;)

Take a photo of what you create. Would like to see that.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Seems milton is food oriented...Gosh he seems to like to sample your food & goes mmm good...want more....

I still would be careful with the water you use on him...could be salt deposits or minerals...

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
what about a knot box, Bob? I make them for birds at the clinic. little to big boxes all held together with tons of knots. I know you said he is not food driven but I don't put food in most of them, just shredded newspaper or dollar tree shred. once in a great while walnuts in the shell, pecans in the shell, hazel nuts in the shell, same with almonds. some thing to make it rattle, pop bottle caps, scraps from the 2X4 pile, vine balls, dice would work too. I'll whip little one (cockatiel size) up tomorrow to show you what I am talking about.
Please post a photo

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
sorry this took so long, I am use to doing them with much bigger boxes that I get at the clinic (most of Dr. Barb's meds come packing in individual boxes then in a larger box). I take the kit and caboodle home do treats 3 out of 6 then pack them back into bigger box then punching holes with sharp pair of scissors tips and butcher's cotton twine and much bigger knots.
IMG_0017.JPG
this made out of Lipton tea boxes. Lipton now packs 25 tea bags into little cardboard boxes and wraps them in cellophane. I called Lipton and asked what those little cardboard boxes were made of and what glue was made. they are all food safe. so YAY. I drink a lot ice tea and recycle as much as I can. this one has some treats, a lot of $tree shred, sewn together with Jute and a lot busy things on the outside, finger traps, cut paper straws, parrot candy from TnT toys, wooden blocks with drilled holes from Petco.
IMG_0019.JPG
the top has luffa bagel, more cut straw pieces, wooden beads and Jute loop sewn thru the entire box. all you need is a pear shaped SS closable link to hang it from the cage.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
How's he doing today ? is he leaving his cheeks alone?
Milton has been a good boy today...no grabbing of feathers as far as we've noticed. He was pretty tired today because we played "Get the bottle" for almost an hour this afternoon.
sorry this took so long, I am use to doing them with much bigger boxes that I get at the clinic (most of Dr. Barb's meds come packing in individual boxes then in a larger box). I take the kit and caboodle home do treats 3 out of 6 then pack them back into bigger box then punching holes with sharp pair of scissors tips and butcher's cotton twine and much bigger knots.
View attachment 253299
this made out of Lipton tea boxes. Lipton now packs 25 tea bags into little cardboard boxes and wraps them in cellophane. I called Lipton and asked what those little cardboard boxes were made of and what glue was made. they are all food safe. so YAY. I drink a lot ice tea and recycle as much as I can. this one has some treats, a lot of $tree shred, sewn together with Jute and a lot busy things on the outside, finger traps, cut paper straws, parrot candy from TnT toys, wooden blocks with drilled holes from Petco.
View attachment 253303
the top has luffa bagel, more cut straw pieces, wooden beads and Jute loop sewn thru the entire box. all you need is a pear shaped SS closable link to hang it from the cage.
I see the concept now...interesting. I'm thinking of a hole on the side and top of the box so I can put a snap lock through it. That way Milton can snap open the box and open the lid.
Seems milton is food oriented...Gosh he seems to like to sample your food & goes mmm good...want more....
Yeah, he does do that with human food...some of which isn't that good for him...dairy products and cake, for example. With regular "birdie" treats, like nuts, nutriberries, etc...not so well. I think small items that he could toss on the floor (and make noise with) would work well with him.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Hey Bob...hope the blood work is in check. As John mentioned,they are really a time bomb! You know Milty better than anyone. I'm sure you will figure this out....have my fingers crossed! Big hug for Milty...:hug8:and for you....:hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
View attachment 253299
View attachment 253303

And we have a new potential future vendor! :D :fairy2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Feathers are still growing in. One did break, resulting in Milty losing a couple of drops of blood. We stopped it with a little flour, and we all survived.
I still want to post pics of the areas...tomorrow my brother is coming by, so I'll hold Milty away from him while he hopefully gets some pictures...

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Poor guy~!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Good news...all blood tests for Milton have come back within normal limits. :)

...and the feathers are continuing to come in on his cheeks...:) :)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:yah:
Next Fourth of July it looks like you need to take Milty on a vacation!