• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milton continues pulling feathers....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The vet did ask about Milton playing with foot toys...which he really doesn't do much of. She thinks keeping him busier with his claws could distract him from over preening himself.
I'm also going to give him more time playing "attack the bottle"...chasing a pop bottle across the floor and throwing back at me. The game expends a lot of energy for him...

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I'm sorry to hear about Milty. Do you think that all of the changes that have been occurring has had an effect on him? You have had a lot of tragedy and a new bird join you lately. Birds like routine and your routine has been messed up. I'm glad it is not medical and I know that you can stimulate him enough to forget about his excessive preening.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm sorry to hear about Milty. Do you think that all of the changes that have been occurring has had an effect on him? You have had a lot of tragedy and a new bird join you lately. Birds like routine and your routine has been messed up. I'm glad it is not medical and I know that you can stimulate him enough to forget about his excessive preening.
Definitely. There's been a lot of stress around here from us humans, and I know Milty and the rest of the birds pick up on it...

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Good news about his health , maybe he is just stressed from the fireworks, and will let his new feathers regrow . My dogs were restless from all the popping and banging, their calming down now that's its over. I'm hoping the same for Milty. :tup:

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Definitely. There's been a lot of stress around here from us humans, and I know Milty and the rest of the birds pick up on it...
I know. They are so sensitive to any problems. Hopefully he will start to feel more secure and stop plucking otherwise, I am going to have to go over there with Bella and straighten him out.

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
When Whitney turned 9 she started plucking the little fine feathers on the bottom of her leg, no explanation nothing changed in her life and she did it until she passed at 34. Her wonderful vet stated she felt it was something she decided she didn't like on her legs, we could never touch her legs or toes she was very protective of those areas, everything else I could touch on her. She was a particular girl. :)

I hope Milton stops pulling the feathers on his sweet face and resumes his happy wet life. :heart:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
@Princessbella...your mentioning of adding Buddy to the flock is also a good point. I'm thinking the jealousy he has toward him might be a contributing factor in the situation.
Since they are stationed in separate rooms, I'm going to make sure that Milty can't see see our interactions with Buddy...

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Definitely get some blood work, my Paco, a muloccan cockatoo, was chewing on his foot and pulling feathers out of his foot and his blood count was really high and my avian vet got him on antibiotics, pain medication, a nerve medication called Lyrica, and some clear gel to stop swelling that made him smell like corn and onions! It was weird but worked amazingly well. He stopped and never started back up. It's been maybe 5 years. So get him in quick and you may be able to stop it.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Definitely get some blood work,
Yes...already done. Results won't be in for a few, but we don't expect to see any problems.

Another good reason to consider blood work when you bring a new bird into the flock...it establishes a baseline which comes in handy. I know it can be pricey to do, though.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird never plucked, but he did always hate any feet. He hated and attacked my toes, did not want his feet touched and he would also let me do just about anything to him, except touch his feet. I hope Milty and you work it out and I bet as he gets more fun things to keep him busy it will go away but you never know with birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good the vet felt he was healthy. Hope the blood work comes back normal.
Does Milton like taking things apart? Maybe you can create some kind of busy box for him....with nuts, bolts, screws, etc? I don't know if the larger 'toos like that kind of stuff.
I know that my Goffin's does.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
I just read through the whole entire thread and I'm so sorry about milty picking at his feathers... I'm glad that so far it doesn't seem like he's ill and a probable cause from the fireworks.. but I hope he won't do that no more... best wishes and we are all sending good energy to you and your loving flock.
:hug8:
P.S: Milty please don't give your parronts a heart attack! Naughty wet snowpig!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Does Milton like taking things apart?
Milton really doesn't do much of that ...except if there's a lock involved! I'm getting a few things together in a "box"...with a fake kind of lock on it. He might get interested if he thinks he's getting away with something...;)

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Milton really doesn't do much of that ...except if there's a lock involved! I'm getting a few things together in a "box"...with a fake kind of lock on it. He might get interested if he thinks he's getting away with something...;)
That is a great idea!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That is a great idea!
Milton thinks he's getting away with something if he can snap a lock....that's why I'm going to try a box with that type of lock. He's never been food-driven, so it couldn't have food in it, though...the lock is the key...;)

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Most of our animals get upset by fireworks, so that may well be it...I hope it is just a isolated incident...

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Milton thinks he's getting away with something if he can snap a lock....that's why I'm going to try a box with that type of lock. He's never been food-driven, so it couldn't have food in it, though...the lock is the key...;)
But did you give him cake? Bella will do anything for food that is not good for her.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We got a extra pack of straws because Dobby loves to play with and chew up drinking straws. He will plop down and start bodily dragging the straw out of any pop cup we leave around, and happily fly away with it to chew and crunch. So sometimes we get out a new straw and wave it around till he can't stand it and flys over to play tug of war over it. Eventually we let him run away with it and he looks so proud of himself and how manly he is.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
what about a knot box, Bob? I make them for birds at the clinic. little to big boxes all held together with tons of knots. I know you said he is not food driven but I don't put food in most of them, just shredded newspaper or dollar tree shred. once in a great while walnuts in the shell, pecans in the shell, hazel nuts in the shell, same with almonds. some thing to make it rattle, pop bottle caps, scraps from the 2X4 pile, vine balls, dice would work too. I'll whip little one (cockatiel size) up tomorrow to show you what I am talking about.