• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lost Ringneck?

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
@JosienBB No she has not, I think they are in the process of setting up a time and day to meet.

I agree with you as well. Also, Libby said that Rhemey has a cage mate and that they were VERY bonded so I think if she brings her (the mate) that will help as well.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I hope your friend keeps an open mind about all this and truly recognizes the signs that this could be Libby's bird. It has to be such a stressful situation for Libby. I hope everything works out.

Did you notify your friend of Libby's ads almost a month ago?

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I hope your friend keeps an open mind about all this and truly recognizes the signs that this could be Libby's bird. It has to be such a stressful situation for Libby. I hope everything works out.

Did you notify your friend of Libby's ads almost a month ago?

I think the police might have to be involved unfortunately. Libby said that she wasn't even going to allow her to visit and see if it was Rhemey. Libby has also offered many other alternatives and I'm pretty sure they were denied as well.

And did I notify my friend a month ago? No. That's what I was trying to explain with the whole neck ring thing. I didn't notify her because the birds looked so different from Libbys poster and the bird I saw that my friend had so I thought they couldn't be the same. But then Libby explained to me about the molting process of ringneck and that that is when they start to gain their ring, so I was a little uneducated on that part.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
oh man, what a heartbreaking story. I truly hope Rhemey can be reunited with his mom and mate. I can't imagine someone finding Weeble and not trying to find her family. That's why I searched and posted for 6 months before keeping the lost bird we took in. I hope you can convince your friend it is the right thing to do to at least meet up with libby and rhemey's cage mate to see if it's a match or turn over the friend's info to Libby or the police so something can be done to right this situation. I think the fact that the friend isn't willing to even see if it is the same bird shows that they are not interested in finding the owner. Very sad. Especially with the situation of a bonded pair :(

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Really quick I feel the need to clarify that this friend and I haven't spoken since I graduated high school and the first time I've actually had a conversation with her was about this IRN. Also, I am 100% on Libby's side. I feel like it is too much of a coincidence for this IRN to be found so close to where she lives and to match the description so well. I just wanted to say this in case anyone was curious or not so sure what exactly was going on :)

Anyways, yes @gibsongrrrl I totally agree. I do not see any harm in allowing Libby to bring the cage mate to at least see who we believe to be Rhemey. Libby has even said if she was not 100% sure it was him she would not take him, because of course she doesn't want anyone else's pet, she just wants hers back! :(
I do believe at this time Rhemey's status has been changed to stolen, and not lost. So hopefully this can all be settled soon and without too much more drama =/

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I think it is great that you are trying to help here, @Lo_ Really really great :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Libby

Moving in
Hello this is Libby and NO the girl who has the bird has totally refused to even let me see the IRN. What I dont understand is this girl made NO EFFORT to try and locate and reunite this bird with the rightful owners or seek any kind of veterinary care for this bird and she has had it in her possession for at the least one month yet she is so worried that it may not be my bird or that the bird wouldnt be returned to the correct owner (she wasnt even trying or worrying about the rightful owner). I know this to be true because Rhemey's lost/found notices are posted everywhere possible including all shelters, rescues and pets stores in the area where this person lives (Greenwood IN). Also, Rhemey has been gone from me now over 3 months...yes he was molting when he excaped (and to answer anyones questions YES HIS WINGS HAD BEEN CLIPPED but he was spooked hard by some kids that came running and yelling around the corner where I had Rhemey and his cage mate Baley out enjoying the sun after they got a bath.
When Rhemey got spooked and flew up I am sure he was as surprised as I was that he was able to gain ANY ALTITUDE but he did and then the wind took him out of my sight. Ill have to live with that for the rest of my life. Another thing I told her is that I have looked, search on many lost/found websites and my Rhemey is the only male green Indian Ringneck reported lost in the state of Indiana AND the 4 surrounding states of Ill, Ohio, Michigan or Kentucky in the last 12 months so come on what does that tell ya??? Plus Rhemey and his cage mate Baley had both just started their yearly molt when he flew off...he was not quite 15 months old when he disappeared but as of right not he would be a little over 18 months old and YES his ring was starting to appear ever so lightly when he escaped and would be much more prominent now. I told the girl all of this information including Rhemey's hatch date of April 15, 2013 and that I am still in touch with the lady who is Rhemey's breeder and she was gracious enough (since she has the parent birds-Rhemey's mom & dad)to suggest that we could even do DNA testing to know for sure if this bird is Rhemey but this girl or Dyllan which is her name would have to produce the bird to get a sample for testing....she wouldnt even answer me on this. I ONLY WANT RHEMEY BACK I DO NOT WANT SOMEONE ELSE'S PET SO IF I AM NOT 100% SURE THAT THIS BIRD IS RHEMEY I WILL NOT WANT IT. I am not like her I would NEVER TRY AND KEEP SOMEONE ELSE'S BELOVED PET.

Last edited by a moderator:

Libby

Moving in
The first 2 pictures are of the IRN that was found and captured by Dyllan in Greenwood. I am also posting some of the last most recent pics of Rhemey I have these are pics of Rhemey with the most recent date of June 6, 2014. I truly believe that the bird found is Rhemey but I also believe that if he is Rhemey that he would not only recognize me and my husband but would leave no doubt to his identity if this bird were to recognize and remember his cage mate and buddy my female IRN Baley.

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So sorry Libby, but I'm afraid that if anyone were to e-mail the person who has the ringneck, it could only make the situation worse, not better.

I wish the person who has the ringneck would at least allow you to look at him and see if it is Rhemey, although I'm not entirely sure how DNA testing would help unless they have a way to show relationship. I just haven't heard of a test within birds that does that, although I could be wrong.

I have a cockatiel that was found by the previous (not sure people is the appropriate word, for how they cared for their animals... perhaps monsters? ignorant of their animals health issues and never once took them to a vet) and never once did they consider looking for the previous owner. She was found in their yard and supposedly they got her into better health.... however, she was fed crappy Walmart seed, stuck in a "finch" cage (big enough for her to stand in, but not necessarily big enough to spread her wings - barely any room between cage bottom and cage top when she was directly in the middle), and expected to learn to talk and smoke pot. When their expectations of what she was supposed to be like fell through, she got ignored. They "simply forgot" to clean her cage, "simply forgot" to feed her, and "simply forgot" to make sure she had fresh water. She also became a chronic egg layer in a smoke filled home (ceilings stained yellow - smoke moved around the room when you walked through), kept in a dark room (blanket over the window) and kept covered 24/7 because she was "too noisy".

When I took her in, she was near 50% underweight and so weak that you could easily catch her in the air if she flew, and she did not land with grace. I did try to search for her owners, but she had been missing for around a year by then. Eight years later and she's doing well! At a great weight and eats healthy!

So I can kind of understand the frustration of someone not willing to do the right thing and search for the rightful owners. If it was a dog or a cat, it would *usually* be no issue to find it's home, but a bird? Many people think to keep instead of looking for the owner.

Libby

Moving in
I do want everyone on here to know that Lo the girl who is on here that its her friend that found the IRN has been nothing but nice and helpful as much as she can possibly be and I dont hold any animosity towards her.

I had a Min Pin stolen from me several years back and thats where and when I learned the laws regarding pets and the fact that they are considered Personal Property and can be reported as Stolen Personal Property and anyone in possession of (not necessarily the actual thief who stold) can and most likely will be charged with Receiving Stolen Property -- even if the said animal/pet was or showed on their property. The fact that the animal was capture, kept contained and the rightful owner not sought is against the law. When my Min Pin was taken out of my fenced in backyard the police came out to the report and also to many pictures (of the yard and open gate) they also took fingerprints of the gate latch and took my prints so that they could be eliminated from any others. Like it was explained to me by a police detective "If you find someones purse, stereo equipment or lets say a cell phone in your yard and you just pick it up and take it inside and decide upon yourself that it must be Xmas and that you are going to keep what you feel is your right to do something that doesnt belong to you and also make no effort to find the owner or to see if the items are actually stolen then you are basically just as guilty as the person who did the actual stealing....Its plain and simple.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I agree with @Monica that sending out emails is not the best idea. I understand your frustration and you know I am trying to help as much as possible.

I thought you contacted police? Have you had any responses from them?

Libby

Moving in
Yes I have been in contact with the police...there is a detective working on it right now but of course the police would very much so like these kind of situations worked out between the parties involved. One of the things that was mentioned to me that I didnt think about but I am thinking much about it now is that someone very desperate could put the bird in hiding or even put it in harms way and I in NO WAY want that to happen. So I am not relaying to many details of what I have or have not done concerning the involvement of the law. Its just for the birds safety that I am staying hush hush about that.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Libby I sent you a PM earlier. Did you get it? Going to send another now. Found some other places you can contact her or pass on to the police.

Libby

Moving in
And as far as emailing her...email addresses are public record...I wasnt suggesting that anyone harass this girl but maybe send an email encouraging her what the right thing is to do. All I want is to be able to physically see this bird and yes bring Baley the cage mate to see their reaction when seeing each other and also there are a couple of things that Rhemey used to do that would also be unique to check on with this bird. I will not say what the things are but just try them if I got the opportunity to see/visit this bird.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I know Libby, I just hope with the polices help we can get this situation figured out :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I hate to ask, but has there been any progress in the resolution of this situation? :huh:

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I hate to ask, but has there been any progress in the resolution of this situation? :huh:

As far as I know the police are still working on it. Like she mentioned she didn't want to say much about the case but she emailed about 3 days ago (give or take) and let me know a little of what was going on. Something has been filed and as far as I know they are working on moving that forward! I am sure that as soon as something big does happen she will email me/post to here :D
I just wish it could happen sooner :(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I understand which is also why I didn't want to say anything other than to ask. I can only hope that IF it is her fid she'll have the chance to prove it and she'll get him back. This has to be a very trying time for her :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I understand which is also why I didn't want to say anything other than to ask. I can only hope that IF it is her fid she'll have the chance to prove it and she'll get him back. This has to be a very trying time for her :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

I know that is what I am hoping as well!
I just don't think the odds are very high that it is someone else's bird just because of the location and the similarity, you know?
I have tried to comfort her as much as I could through the emails but I know this is so so hard to go through. Lets just keep hoping for that quick reunion!