• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lost Ringneck?

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Has anyone lost/know anyone who has lost a green ringneck parakeet in the Greenwood, Indiana area?

I originally posted asking for advice for my friend who found an Indian Ringneck in her yard this morning but after a few comments I realized that it would be really unfair for the owners for her to just keep it, so I will start the search by posting here and also in the lost bird section. It was found in Indiana in the greenwood area.

Thanks to @Monica @Yoshi&Reza and @JLcribber for pretty much talking sense into me ;)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Are they searching for the previous owners?

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I am not sure @Monica They said that it appeared in their front yard this morning and they caught it. I'm sure if the owner came forth they would return it but I don't think they are actively looking.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can bet the owner is worried sick about where their bird might be. She really should try to find the owner before even thinking of keeping this bird. She should be checking in with local vet offices and local pet stores to see if there are any flyers or notifications that this bird is missing.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Then I cannot offer any advice for them until they actively search for at least 3 weeks, looking at local pet stores, grocery stores, vet offices, craigslist, kijiji, etc.

If someone finds a cat or a dog, then they typically realize it's somebodies lost pet and will try to return them, but if it's a bird, it's more like "Hey! I found a bird! Lets keep it!"... I just don't like that. I do have a cockatiel that came out of a situation like that, and I did try finding her owners after in my care, but was never able to find them. I can only hope that she was intentionally lost rather than accidentally, as I'd hate to think of the person who could have lost her, looked for her, never saw my ads and misses their bird, not knowing what happened to her.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
The people missing the parrot may not know about all the ways to get the word out there. Your friend can post on Parrot Alert that the parrot has been found. It will be emailed to other people within a certain radius.

Kiwi flew out the house I guess a little less than a year ago. When I got the call from the family who found her I was so happy. When I immediately went to go pick Kiwi up, it was obvious that they were thinking of keeping her. It was hard to keep a smile on my face knowing that they thought of just keeping her. The wife told me that their daughter fell in love and they were researching what food, cage size, and what else was needed for her. Then she thought to type in lost parrot. I consider myself very lucky that they decided to do the right thing in the end despite their falling in love with Kiwi after a few hours. Maybe it was the cost of everything that did it.

Urge your friend to find the owners, please. :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I will talk to her and try to tell her to look for the owner, but I clearly can not make her. I was just trying to get advice so that if she does keep it she could give it the best care (since I know nothing of ringnecks).

I appreciate your guys' concern for the owner, as I would search for them as well, I was just going off of what I saw her post and thought I would try to help her out.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
We're fine with helping, as long as your friend tries their best to find the bird's owner.

Ringnecks can be kind of difficult birds to own to begin with, so not necessarily recommended for beginners.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bravo to you and your friend for doing the right thing! I had a friend who lost her African Grey a few weeks ago, and she looked for weeks for that bird, sick with worry. Finally, someone came forward and had her bird - but only after she posted a $1000 reward. They intended on keeping the bird, but wanted the money more. It didn't sit well with a lot of us, keeping someone else's pet.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Oh gosh I couldn't imagine someone finding Kiwi and not at least trying to get her back to me.
Bravo to you and your friend for doing the right thing! I had a friend who lost her African Grey a few weeks ago, and she looked for weeks for that bird, sick with worry. Finally, someone came forward and had her bird - but only after she posted a $1000 reward. They intended on keeping the bird, but wanted the money more. It didn't sit well with a lot of us, keeping someone else's pet.
I cant even think about the stress of losing your baby! Your poor friends, I'm just glad that they got her/him back. Jerks! :cautious:

Libby

Moving in
I have been looking for my IRN since July 7th. There is a huge reward for anyone who helps in getting Rhemey returned safely to me. i live in Martinsville Indiana which is approx 15 minutes/ 15 miles north of Greenwood Indiana. I have posted on every lost and found pet site possible plus I have paid for a lost and found site to notify all shelters, vets and rescues in the surrounding areas (INCLUDING GREENWOOD) all these places that have been sent a lost poster with pictures of my bird with all his information and mine so that if anyone found him and did the right thing by seeking medical attention or by looking for the birds owner there should be NO PROBLEM IN DOING JUST THAT. I just want my bird back....he has a cagemate that misses him deeply and so do I. If you have anymore information or pics of the found Indian Ringeck in Greenwood please contact me *(Libby 765-343-2581) or (Elizabethm613@aol.com) so that I may see if it is mine or not...and if it is and we are reunited there is definitely a NICE REWARD for you.

The linked ad up above posted by Yoshi and Reza is my ad for my lost Indian Ringneck Parakeet. Photos from Elizabeth Lancaster-Miller's... - Elizabeth Lancaster-Miller | Facebook

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Here's hoping it's him!!!! Best of luck!

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
@Yoshi&Reza Yes it is the one my friend found (I did not contact Libby earlier because he has a distinct ring (the IRN my friend has) and the older photos on her poster showed no ring, but I also didn't realize that when IRN's molt that is when they start to develop the ring, so he was molting when he was lost and that is what caused the ring to appear). It appears though that things are getting a little complicated in returning him. My friend believes that there are some distinguishing traits that couldn't have happened when he was loose and Libby can not identify them. Libby says it is her bird and I trust her instincts, so I think there may be a meeting in the future with Libby and the person who currently has who we believe to be Rhemey. And like I told Libby, there is a chance that it is not him, but given the circumstances that seems unlikely to me. I just hope that things can be settled soon and it doesn't become more difficult then it has to be!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has Libby met the bird? When my friend who lost her African Grey went to see the man who wanted the reward, the bird immediately recognized her and it was clear as day to anyone that it was indeed her bird. He would only step up for her, went to her immediately, whistled to her, etc.

Sometimes, the bird can tell you what humans cannot.