• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie owners in the Maryland area

shutterlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda Meyers
I would love to connect and talk to people in my area about their Linnie’s. I just got Rascal my Linnie a few months ago and I totally adore him. He’s about 5 months old now and chatters when I am near or when he wants attention. This is my 1st Linnie and would love to compare notes. Thank you. Rhonda

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Rhonda! I live in Timonium, north of the city. My Linnie is Gigi, born 2/1/18 so 18 months old on Thursday! Gigi is a normal green female. Is Rascal olive or dark green? Can't tell by profile pic but love seeing him using that foot like a big parrot!

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Welcome Rhonda! I'm in Ohio, but I have two male linnies.

shutterlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda Meyers
I live in Reisterstown Maryland. Rascal is a green Linnie. He was born Feb 15,2019. Do your Linnies talk yet. If so, when did they start talking? Mine greets me with different sounds but so far no words yet. Any suggestions. I talk to him constantly. Also is it normal for my Linnie to have different moods. Sometimes he loves to be cuddled and other times he acts like he wants to attack me.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My boys don't talk, not yet anyway. Linnies are known to have a pretty rough adolescence and one of mine would yell at me and charge me daily for a few months. He outgrew it, he's really sweet now. He was about 10 months when he started this. Most linnies are hand shy so that's just a species trait. @Dona will tell you how she can't even think about touching Gigi's cage because she's that cage aggressive. :wideyed:I think they can be somewhat moody. They're generally really sweet birds but when they're mad...

shutterlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda Meyers
Thank you for letting me know what to expect. Rascal only gets his special treats when I take him out so he’s not shy of my finger at this point. I put him on a tabletop perch with a paper towel underneath and he immediately poops. That way I’m not afraid to put him in my lap or shoulder for a little while. I still work so I’m not home most of the day and I feel bad about that. I also have a dog so I never let him out of the cage if the dog is in the house. Do you have any other pets?

shutterlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda Meyers
Linnies don’t seem to be very common around here. I think Rascal is more of an olive green. I’m so glad I found this forum and get to know what to expect. I feel like a new mother.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Hello. I live in Baltimore and own and breed linnies. May I ask where you got your linnie from?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
My males all talk. Most of the females try, but they're nowhere near as clear. They definitely teach each other.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I also live in Reisterstown. Small world.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Linnies do seem to be uncommon. I had never heard of them until I called a breeder to see if he had a hand fed budgie. He did not but told me about his Linnies. I bought Gigi from The Parrot's Nest in Hampstead. Great place full of healthy happy birds. Maybe you bought Rascal there?

Gigi does not say any words but has dozens of trick whistles and sounds. She does a "wolf whistle" and "come here dog whistle" as well as the first 5 eerie notes from A Fist Full of Dollars, lol. She also does many versions of kisses, lasers, buzzes and beeps. Some are quiet but super clear and cute. She does contact calls to me if she wants something (slant the blinds, the sun is on me) and when I answer she replies with a much different sound. It's amazing and I feel like we really communicate.

Gigi is fully flighted and lands on me often when she is out of the cage. She hangs out on my shoulder or lap, sleeping and preening. I can say "I want that bird right here" while tapping the sofa arm and she usually flies there. She is super friendly and interested in me, friends and family. But as @Leih said, she can be crazy territorial about her cage, toys and play gym and now a section of the sofa that has a little hidey spot, lol. She might shriek or lunge if I do mess with her stuff, but very seldom does she nip. She would rather I not touch her in normal circumstances but will easily step up when I take her to have her shower or if she ends up somewhere unusual. She's a funny girl but I am figuring her out and letting her call the shots. :). She seems very happy and we really love her.

I have had many birds in the last 40 some years but Gigi is now my only. No other pets.

shutterlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda Meyers
Wow. I wish I could let Rascal fly around the house but that’s impossible with a dog who is extremely jealous of the bird. I also got Rascal from the Parrots Nest. Brian is the best. He raised my bird from a few days old because his mother rejected him and his siblings. His siblings died but Brian was able to raise him from a very young age. Therefore he’s always been socialized. Maybe you can send me a video of Gigi talking. I would love to see another Linnie in action.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I believe Rascal was one of mine. His parents were letting the chicks die, so I took him from the nest at a day old and fed him every hour or so round the clock for a couple of days. Knowing that I couldn't keep it up because of my job, I brought him to Brian, who raised him the rest of the way.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow Rhonda, lucky little boy that he had both Matt and Brian to get him through. @Matto does that mean Rascal is related to Gigi?

Yes, I should take a video of Gigi in action! She flies all around the living room while singing. It's hilarious! She's has so much attitude.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Oh wow Rhonda, lucky little boy that he had both Matt and Brian to get him through. @Matto does that mean Rascal is related to Gigi?

Yes, I should take a video of Gigi in action! She flies all around the living room while singing. It's hilarious! She's has so much attitude.
Yes, if that's the case then Rascal and Gigi are siblings.

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
The family matters between your linnies are getting more complicated by the minute. :lol:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The family matters between your linnies are getting more complicated by the minute. :lol:

Haha!
I suppose that that's what happens with very prolific parents.
Yes indeed.

I'll explain. Brian at The Parrot's Nest had a pair of Linnies that produced Gigi and many others. Brian sold that pair to @Matto and now they continue to produce. Gigi has quite the family tree.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Aww how cute! Small world!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Wow. I wish I could let Rascal fly around the house but that’s impossible with a dog who is extremely jealous of the bird. I also got Rascal from the Parrots Nest. Brian is the best. He raised my bird from a few days old because his mother rejected him and his siblings. His siblings died but Brian was able to raise him from a very young age. Therefore he’s always been socialized. Maybe you can send me a video of Gigi talking. I would love to see another Linnie in action.
I have a spare bedroom that I use for the bird room. Currently only one of my four are flighted (although my linnies could if they'd try, we're working on it) and I have a bunch of stuff on the walls for her to land. I also have three cats. They are really good with the birds but I never take any chances. Can't take the predator out of the cat! They come in while my lovebird is out flying. She does taunt them sometimes, and I really don't know who I'm more worried about in those scenarios, but I think your dog will come around. I sometimes have a bird on my head and a cat on my lap! I can't relax like that though....