• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lighting

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
One last point then I'll leave unless I'm asked a question. Flicker doesn't have to be visible to cause a problem.
You're totally fine! I appreciate all the information! I'm going to dig deeper tonight, look at shipping, etc, and I'll probably have more questions then ;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This gentlemen gives excellent customer service and his cage lighting which I have has a 2 year warranty. @JLcribber and some other members also have this. As far as flicker goes I took a video of the light I am using in slow motion and it was very minimal.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This gentlemen gives excellent customer service and his cage lighting which I have has a 2 year warranty. @JLcribber and some other members also have this. As far as flicker goes I took a video of the light I am using in slow motion and it was very minimal.

That poor birb. All that light and nowhere to hide from it!! Inconsiderate.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I ordered a Featherbrite uv bulb
Did you order the full spectrum bulb to go with it? This UV bulb is designed to be used alongside their full spectrum bulb.

....any light improvements I make will be better than nothing!
Good on ya!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
All that light and nowhere to hide from it!!

Not my birds. They have a large enough cage to retreat to a low light part of the cage. Sometimes they nap there in the daytime and other times they are playing and chirping in the light.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Lady Jane I remember this video being posted on these forums a while ago. I pointed out at the time that the cheap bulbs he was using hardly put out any UV at all. Even the Featherbrite bulb @Leih referred to only gives out 0.04% of 1.5 Watts. The lamps I use give out 2.4% of 24Watts. It's a different world.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Did you order the full spectrum bulb to go with it? This UV bulb is designed to be used alongside their full spectrum bulb.

I didn't, I got clicker happy :wacky:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks for all the information @Ripshod. Not trying to be argumentative at all, just trying to understand better based on my limited knowledge and what information is available to me. I'm glad that the Arcadia bulbs run at a different frequency, I didn't see anything on their website that suggested that.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Lady Jane I remember this video being posted on these forums a while ago. I pointed out at the time that the cheap bulbs he was using hardly put out any UV at all. Even the Featherbrite bulb @Leih referred to only gives out 0.04% of 1.5 Watts. The lamps I use give out 2.4% of 24Watts. It's a different world.
I'm having difficulty finding that one in the screw in version in the US. What do you think of the Zoomed ones?

Avian Sun™ 5.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent | Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The "UV" part of any artificial light source is very minimal at best. Your birds will get more UV from 15 minutes of direct sunlight than sitting right next to any one of those lights for a whole week. If your bird gets 45 minutes of direct sunlight in a week (3 fifteen minute sessions) it will fulfill all your bird's light requirements. If not it can be taken care of with diet.

As far as environment you just want brightly lit "daylight temperature" lighting. This is for their "unique eyesight". Their vision is much different than ours. The bright environment encourages more activity, foraging and vocalization (not screaming).

PROPER LIGHTING TO SUPPORT AVIAN VISION

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
The "UV" part of any artificial light source is very minimal at best. Your birds will get more UV from 15 minutes of direct sunlight than sitting right next to any one of those lights for a whole week. If your bird gets 45 minutes of direct sunlight in a week (3 fifteen minute sessions) it will fulfill all your bird's light requirements. If not it can be taken care of with diet.

As far as environment you just want brightly lit "daylight temperature" lighting. This is for their "unique eyesight". Their vision is much different than ours. The bright environment encourages more activity, foraging and vocalization (not screaming).

PROPER LIGHTING TO SUPPORT AVIAN VISION
Two of my birds are completely un hand tamed. I'm trying to get them into a travel carrier to get them outside a few days a week, as I know the actual sun is best, but it may be awhile before we get there. In the mean time I figured a lamp supplement shouldn't hurt. And looking at that article, their current regular lighting is too dim. I have a bright floor lamp that would be much better.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have 18 full spectrum tubes in the ceiling... too high for anything except lighting. It’s nice and bright in there. Plus six recessed lights. I haven’t used their featherbrites for ages... afraid of breaking and mercury. Seems you have to evacuate the room for six months. That’s why I bought the waveform lighting avian leds. But haven’t used them yet.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Birds can see UV-A, so using normal 'daylight' or cheap 'full spectrum' bulbs, while increasing the light levels, still leaves them colourblind.
John is partially right. the UV-B is minimal, but 2.4% is better than 0%, especially if you have no way of getting your birds outside. But the figures I quoted earlier were for the UV-B. We are really concerned with a birds living conditions, and using a lamp that gives a good level of UV-A (as most avian lamps do) does that by letting them see everything as nature intended. The lamps I use give 12% UV-A, comparable to natural sunlight.

The ZooMed lamps from Avian Sun are good, in that they are a whole lot better than a standard full spectrum lamp. The figures they quote can be trusted. 5.0 means 5% UV-B. The UV-A they give off will be much higher than that though that info sheet doesn't mention %.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My full spectrum tubes cost $22.00 each! I got the best I could find!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My full spectrum tubes cost $22.00 each! I got the best I could find!
And do the fittings they're in run high frequency ballasts? If the tubes are running at mains frequency the flicker could be hurting your birds.

*edit* That's still quite an investment in your lighting. Shows how much you care ;)

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
And do the fittings they're in run high frequency ballasts? If the tubes are running at mains frequency the flicker could be hurting your birds.
Don’t know enough to answer your question yet!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I feel I may have sent you on a bit of a mission now. :lol:
I’m scrambling to find documentation that flicker hurts birds! Did you post some?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I’m scrambling to find documentation that flicker hurts birds! Did you post some?
I'll have to dig them out, I've got the links somewhere. I've lost most of the info since the last thread on this matter.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I'll have to dig them out, I've got the links somewhere. I've lost most of the info since the last thread on this matter.
Ok thanks! I’d like to know if avian lights have a transformer which increases the operating frequency like you stated