• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lighting

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'll add to This post add I dig stuff out.
Providing the Right Light | Arizona Exotics | Birds, -Cockatiels, -Cockatoos, -Macaws, -Parakeets, -Parrots Resources
Note: Regular fluorescent bulbs do not produce the proper spectrum of light and the magnetic ballasts produce a flicker that is very irritating to some parrots who can easily detect it, when humans cannot. If your bird appears distressed by the fluorescent lighting, a different style of UVB-bulb is needed.
Bird’s vision is very different from ours. Humans process about 16 images per second, so to us, fluorescent lighting appears to be 'on' continuously. It is not of course. Fluorescent lighting strobes at the voltage cycle rate (about 120 flashes per second). Birds would be capable of perceiving this. The equivalent effect for humans would be to live under lighting which flashed 12-16 times per second. You'd probably experience considerable discomfort with such strobe effects, so it is more than likely that the birds may well do so." Greg Glendell.
Flickering lighting has also been shown to cause stress/personality disorders, such as plucking and self mutilation. Can also cause seizures. I'll find the links for that in the morning. Have to leave this for now, it's way past lights-out.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
thanks! i have electronic ballast. does that help?
A quick one, just for you. Yes, electronic ballast is great. They were first designed with epilepsy in mind so they're ideal, and quite efficient and kind on the tubes.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
A quick one, just for you. Yes, electronic ballast is great. They were first designed with epilepsy in mind so they're ideal, and quite efficient and kind on the tubes.
Yay! Many thanks for the information. Have a good night!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
thanks! i have electronic ballast. does that help?

Take a high frame rate Slo-Mo video clip of your lighted area. You'll be able to tell how much the lights flicker. All lights have some kind of flicker although maybe not perceptible to the eye.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Take a high frame rate Slo-Mo video clip of your lighted area. You'll be able to tell how much the lights flicker. All lights have some kind of flicker although maybe not perceptible to the eye.

The tubes aren’t flickering the recessed cfl bulbs are!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Nice! I love knowing there is no flicker on my bulbs.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
All of my lights flicker when I record them. So now to find ones that don't . However, my apartment is really old so I'd bet it's more about the wiring than the bulbs.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Flicker free led bulbs on waveform lighting website

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Here’s the thing... flicker free led is in its own category on the site. The avian bulb doesn't have the flicker free symbol. But just last night i had this exchange with the sales engineer:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Saroj,

Thank you for reaching out, and I'm sorry for the concern regarding flicker in our Avian A19 bulbs.

I have been able to locate your order #1301, which I believe includes the A19 bulbs in question. Upon closer inspection of our records I do see that bulbs with the part numbers 4001.65 were shipped to you. Part number 4001.65 has been discontinued, and does not have a flicker-free designation. The updated part number for the Avian A19 bulb is 4005.65, which provides flicker-free light output.

We would be more than happy to send flicker-free replacement bulbs at our expense, or offer a full refund on your purchase. If you do choose to accept the replacements, we encourage you to test the bulbs with the iPhone's slow motion feature. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Sincerely,

Josh Brown

Sales Engineer

Next Generation LED Lighting | Waveform Lighting

------------------------------------------------------------
I'd bet it's not. Unless you have super vision you probably won't see any flicker without high speed video.
I believe this is the bulb @saroj12 refers to:
Avian Full Spectrum E26 A19 LED Bulb for Birds – Waveform Lighting

I'd actually recommend that bulb for anyone who wants to improve the illumination in any areas their birds go.

re

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Part number 4001.65 has been discontinued.....
Yep, the link is correct - part# 4005.65

Really good of them to offer up the replacements too. Usually I'd expect them to ask for the ones you have back.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yep, the link is correct - part# 4005.65
Right. Hopefully they indeed will be flicker free because I don’t see it on the description!

I’m so glad I never used the bulbs I bought that are now discontinued. They have horrible flicker I found last night.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@saroj12 I’m so glad you got this info! The reason I didn’t get their avian bulb and got the others instead was because of the flicker. Next time order I might get the Avian. They should put that in the description, but they do seem like such a great company.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I recently ordered the ZooMed lamp and bulb and it arrived today. Wow it's so bright! I'm assuming it's supposed to be but to me it's unpleasant! Leaving it on tomorrow, got it hooked up to the timer :(

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I recently ordered the ZooMed lamp and bulb and it arrived today. Wow it's so bright! I'm assuming it's supposed to be but to me it's unpleasant! Leaving it on tomorrow, got it hooked up to the timer :(
Did you read about the burn off time away from your bird?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
That was supposed to be a wink not a sad face. I didn't!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj