• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Life is forcing me to rehome my DYH Amazon family member Chloe, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chloebirdlove

Moving in
Hi everyone,
This is my first time hearing about these forums. I was directed here after posting to r/parrots on reddit. To make things easier I will just copy and paste my post there, here. But some info first.

Area: Boston, MA
Bird: Chloe is a Double Yellow Headed Amazon

album of photos:
Chloe - Album on Imgur

Video Clips:

Hi everyone, I am in need of some guidance. I have had my parrot Chloe since 1997 (when she was still just a about a year old. She was my mothers bird from the start, and everyone else in the family was lucky if she gave you the time of day. She has been a great bird over these many years and a few times, her surroundings have changed due to circumstances out of our control. She was always in my family home, even though I was the one that mostly took care of her (she still loved my mother more btw).

Fast forward 15 years, I also got married and moved out. Chloe was now living with just my parents...that's when my mother got sick. Her Alzheimer's was taking a toll on us all, but especially my father who retired to become her caretaker so that she could be at home and not in a facility. He just couldn't take care of both my mom and Chloe, so I took her.

She has lived with me and my wife for 7 or so years 7 or so years now in our home. Now Chloe is attached to me and only barely tolerates my wife as she is very jealous as most amazons get. It hasn't been easy having Chloe with us, but we have made it work and she has even more freedom than when she was in my parents house. I couldn't even fathom letting her go, she is family. She talks like us, has my mothers laugh (lost my mom in 2016) and is very affectionate.

In 2016 my wife and I had our first child. We were extremely nervous as Chloe doesn't particularly like children, as she gets jealous of them. We would never trust Chloe around the baby. It has been nearly two years living like this and as much as I believed I would be able to make this work, I can't. I was selfish to think I could for this long. I don't spend enough time with Chloe, not the time that she needs anyway, and I can't have her around the baby.

I have put this off for far too long out of denial and selfishness, but I need to find a new home for Chloe. Life throws us curveballs and though she was never supposed to come live with me, at least not for many years in the future, here we are. I live in Boston and have briefly looked into "sanctuaries" and found one in RI, but it just didn't seem right. I would love some guidance. Thank you.

She has an amazingly clear pronunciation of words and speaks both English and Greek words.

I am having a really difficult time letting go, but it just isn't fair for her anymore.

There is a sanctuary in Rhode Island about 2 hours away from me, but honestly I don't know if I could mentally drive that long with her, knowing I would have to drive back without her. The place also makes me feel like the birds that they accept are not loved, which is not the case at all.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Breaks my heart......

Does she fly?

I have grandsons and let the parrots out of their cages after the boys go to bed. The boys know not to put fingers in cages during the daytime and the parrots act invisible at times.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear your story. I hope there is someone here on AA that has some advice or room for another cherished bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry you have to rehome her. I would probably avoid a sanctuary if at all possible. I would actually look into surrendering her to a rescue before a sanctuary. If you were closer, I would say bring her to ours here in Pittsburgh but I know it's too far. They would take her though. I hope someone here can help.

chloebirdlove

Moving in
Yes, she can fly as she has not been clipped in a while, but the baby isn't the only factor. My wife is a nurse that works night sand sleeps during days. Chloe's room is adjoining our bedroom and if she hears any noise at all will give her call so someone pays attention to her. My wife misses sleeping :arghh:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that you have to rehome your DYH. Do you think some behavioral work/training would help?
Hope that you can find a wonderful new home for her.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I am very sorry you have to rehome her. I would probably avoid a sanctuary if at all possible. I would actually look into surrendering her to a rescue before a sanctuary. If you were closer, I would say bring her to ours here in Pittsburgh but I know it's too far. They would take her though. I hope someone here can help.
Do you think there's any chance of a roadie train to get Chloe to Pittsburgh?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I hope she manages to find a home with one of the great members from here, that way she will definitely be well loved and cared for. Fingers crossed someone can take her in and also organize one of those trips where it is like a little bird backpacker experience......so far with one person, then off with another one for the next leg of the trip and so on.
I think @SandraK has the best idea of having Chloe transported to Pittsburgh.

chloebirdlove

Moving in
It’s a little awkward...she’s a Patriots fan.

Could someone explain the down sides of “sanctuaries” vs “rescues” or any differences in general. Thanks.

There is a couple places in Rhode Island, but the website for the larger one was very off putting and seemed to be sort of shaming people.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She is just a doll! There has to be someone on AA who can take her, before you go the rescue/sanctuary route. Isnt there someone on AA who can take in a cute amazon?

Can you tell us more about her? Is she an interactive bird or does she prefer to hang out on her cage? Does she step up? Does she like to have her head scratched? Is she loud all the time, or just occasionally? Maybe someone can fit her into their flock if they know the answers to these questions...maybe some people want a highly engaged bird, while others might be interested in a bird that just likes to hang out on a playstand or cage after work. It’s a long shot, but worth trying a little longer!

chloebirdlove

Moving in
Thank you! When she decides you are the one, she is extremely loving and cuddly, but again really will only do that with one or two people.

I can go all day without hearing much noise from her, but if she hears that we are around she will try to get our attention.

During the day she sits on her cage or on the window sill looking outside. We always have looney tunes on for some background noise and company. Very healthy.

She loves head scratches btw.

Another thing to add is I would be giving all of her belongings. Cage, portable perch, clear acrylic carrier. I think eather way it would help with her feeling safe in another environment.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Hngh. Part of me so wants to say I would love to give her a home... but I don't think I could get her from Boston to here (Gary, IN/Chicagoland)... plus my spouse might disown me. o.o lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It’s a little awkward...she’s a Patriots fan.

Could someone explain the down sides of “sanctuaries” vs “rescues” or any differences in general. Thanks.

There is a couple places in Rhode Island, but the website for the larger one was very off putting and seemed to be sort of shaming people.

Well, she would have to convert to being a Steeler fan if she came here. LOL. The rescue here fosters all the birds. They don't have a facility. So she would be in a foster home until they found someone to adopt here. Although there probably are rescues that are closer to you that are very good also. I hope someone here can take her though. She seems like a sweet bird.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Awwww, her story, your story breaks my heart. I would be willing to take her in if you had no other options but I’m hesitant to get involved unless it was an emergency because I think we are right at our limit with Amazons who all tolerate each other. Sanctuaries make me cringe because you never know how long they will be in the black and they tend to take in birds who don’t get as much attention or are better in aviary situations. Rescues are more likely to adopt out to a home where a pet bird belongs.

Let’s see if anyone here steps up! I think Sunnysmom would be perfect honestly!;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awwww, her story, your story breaks my heart. I would be willing to take her in if you had no other options but I’m hesitant to get involved unless it was an emergency because I think we are right at our limit with Amazons who all tolerate each other. Sanctuaries make me cringe because you never know how long they will be in the black and they tend to take in birds who don’t get as much attention or are better in aviary situations. Rescues are more likely to adopt out to a home where a pet bird belongs.

Let’s see if anyone here steps up! I think Sunnysmom would be perfect honestly!;)
Me or our rescue? Goodness, a 'too and an amazon? I think the fiancé would leave me for sure.

I so hope something works out. It's very kind @jmfleish for you to consider it. I would help in a birdie train...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Me or our rescue? Goodness, a 'too and an amazon? I think the fiancé would leave me for sure.

I so hope something works out. It's very kind @jmfleish for you to consider it. I would help in a birdie train...
You! Maybe Chloe would take to Howie and you would each have a bird to love!:) If the match didn't work out, she could always go to the rescue but you never know! You know how I ended up with Amarillo, my DYHA right???? Never had an Amazon in my life and didn't even know an Amazon would be a bird I would consider but Tanya sucked me in with pictures and I went to meet her and it was love at first sight! I spent the day with her and she came home with me and here we are seven years later with Amazons and Cockatoos...all because of one innocent little DYHA girlie!:) She's awesome and I would have never even known it!:)

DSC06405.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.