• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Life is forcing me to rehome my DYH Amazon family member Chloe, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chloebirdlove

Moving in
So, I talked to my spouse. If you can't find a better (and closer!) home for her, I can take her; spouse isn't 'enthusiastic', but willing. :unsure: (Bad early bird experiences.) We would definitely have to see if we can get a transport train together, though, at least for a fair portion of the distance; it's a loooong way from Boston to NW Indiana, and spouse only really has Sundays off work (and thus the car free).
Thank you soooo much for considering it. I would really hate to be the reason for home arguments though ;). I will definitely keep you in mind though. It would be much easier if someone closer could take her, on me and you. How many do you have already?

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
It's not an argument thing or I wouldn't have offered. It's more of a pout/sigh thing. :lol: Spouse is just wary because my last CAG was violently (literally) upset about the 'intruder'.

Right now, I only have my little parrotlet, though I've had quite a few over the last 20-ish years.

And yes, someone closer would definitely be preferable. But if nothing else presents itself, she does have a safe place to go. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It seems like a nice place. So they adopt birds out? It's not strictly a sanctuary? I know it's far, but our rescue in Pittsburgh can be an option too if you can get Chloe here. I would offer to foster her but my fiancé is going to be having surgery and will actually be having my bird stay with a member until he recovers. But the rescue here keeps the birds in foster homes until they're adopted.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I’m pretty sure Foster Parrot does not adopt out. Where are you located again?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Phoenix Landing is awesome and they monitor the birds for life once they get adopted. I have no clue what the wait list is for them.

Have you tried seeking a home through your vet? Maybe they know of someone?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine

chloebirdlove

Moving in
Phoenix Landing is awesome and they monitor the birds for life once they get adopted. I have no clue what the wait list is for them.

Have you tried seeking a home through your vet? Maybe they know of someone?
All of the private avian vets have gone under. I now bring her to the Angell memorial MSPCA hospital for everything she needs.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Chloebirdlove - email me at jmfleishtoo@yahoo.com. You don't have enough posts to get the PM I just sent you.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If I hadn’t just taken in 2 birds in the last few months, I would! My husband would kill me if I brought home a 6th parrot :(

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Why not look up the local pet shops that sell parrots and tell them they can have it in return for selling it to a nice home? That avoids the hoarder situation that some pet sanctuary and rescue missions can become as they can be a bit too stringent on insisting on prior experience with parrots which isn't going to help placement to rule out so many qualified pet owners so arbitrarily.

After all, parrots are so long lived if one is insisting on prior parrot experience than either the likelihood of a hoarder situation is being increased or the person that is getting the bird has already had one or more birds die on them or gave up one or more birds for adoption. A new parrot owner is as likely to be successful as an experienced parrot owner unless the experienced pet owner is a real veterinarian or a real professional animal trainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.