• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kari isn't feeling well...

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
and a wonderful thing being a long time client is so helpful. Well that and Jim (vet tech) rocks. Last night she was all floofed up and eyes partially closed which made me zero in on her. So that behavior...I just let everyone out (so she should have been super active) for dinner. I did see her eat chop but then she went up to the cage top and acted sick. She hasn't lost any weight, eating, pooping etc. But she threw up like nothing I've ever seen and you know I've had lots of scenarios through the years. So, I was all, time for bed, we have to go.

Emergency vet: she was perky, calling and just having a good old time. Weight was 65 grams. They asked me if I wanted to take her home rather than run tests since she was so perky. Umm, no, I at least want gram stains. "Gram stains had a lot of gram positive rods and a few negative but what we normally see." In the meantime, I'm messaging Jim. Jim says he will take her in and let Dr. O check her out in the morning. So I drop the little wee one off at his house around 11pm. Love that man!

So hopefully Dr. O will pinpoint something today but I'm thankful she was in good hands last night. Sigh...and of course Jim said she ate this morning. But Dr. O is her favorite person in all the world so likely she is on a Dr. O high at the moment. Dang birds!

This is Kari aka Karikins

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sorry to hear that Kari is feeling under the weather :( I hope they figure out what's wrong and that she'll be feeling better soon :heart: She's so adorable :xflove:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she's okay!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just got a call from Dr. Orosz...she's really, really sick. GI tract is down, spots on lungs where they think she might have aspirated when she threw up and liver is having issues. They gave her oncior, fluids and antibiotics and they will be keeping her for a few days to make sure the aspiration doesn't turn into something really bad. Although, I've always heard if they aspirate, they don't make it.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I am so glad you trusted your gut and insisted on having her seen. That is her best chance. :angel1:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry Kari is ill. Sending positive thoughts that she will get better.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am so glad you trusted your gut and insisted on having her seen. That is her best chance. :angel1:
Wish I would have taken her in sooner though. I was kind of watching her but her weight hasn't changed and I couldn't pinpoint what was bothering me. I was worried I was being overly paranoid. But when she puffed up and vomited, I was like no she needs a complete workup before I feel okay. Dr. O pushed further in on the upper gram stain and thats where she found the bad stuff. I'm not sure what made her want to do xrays but glad she did.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Xrays because the vet just needs to see what's happening inside and symptoms point to something not obvious. Jasper's last xray showed a "something" in a lung and Dr. Driggers said she had aspirated and the "something" was resolving itself. Remember she gets 9 syringes in the morning and 6 at night - with those odds it's likely to happen.

The Onsior is a pain med that I've never heard of.

Dr. O is a great vet and I bet she can get Kari straightened up and flying right soon.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Xrays because the vet just needs to see what's happening inside and symptoms point to something not obvious. Jasper's last xray showed a "something" in a lung and Dr. Driggers said she had aspirated and the "something" was resolving itself. Remember she gets 9 syringes in the morning and 6 at night - with those odds it's likely to happen.

The Onsior is a pain med that I've never heard of.

Dr. O is a great vet and I bet she can get Kari straightened up and flying right soon.
It's mainly used for GI inflammation in most of the birds I've seen. Stronger than celebrex...I'll ask her when I go in what the difference between the two might be. I'm completely glad she did the xray. I actually think most of our birds should have an xray since it can show so much about their bodies.

Wow...15 a day...those really do increase your odds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, she has been on at least 8 syringes per day since 2001, so you can imagine she takes her syringes well. She just gets to messing around sometimes and I don't catch it soon enough.

I see the Orsion is a NSAID and is not recommended for more that 3/4 days. Jasper is already on Celebrex so the Orsion wouldn't be as good.

I believe that every bird (while healthy and young) should have an xray every other year and when older or chronically ill, like Jasper, every 3 or 6 months. Jasper is on a 3 month recall to the Dr.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Poor baby...and poor you. It's so hard when they get sick. I'm praying for a swift recovery.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Feel better, Kari! She is such a ham in that video. :hug8:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
She isn't in oxygen today and doing better. They said I could take her today or wait until tomorrow. I opted for tomorrow since I know they will gavage feed her meds and be there if she declines. I just hope she continues to improve and I don't have to use the ER vet again. I think I'll take her to columbus if that happens. And I don't like giving subq fluids at all. It's just like the kids when they were little and got shots...

She still doesn't have a complete recovery percentage but she's coming out of the woods.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Glad she doing better and leaving her the extra day sounds like a wise decision.

My vets are in Columbus at Med-Vet (Really Hillard) Dr Oglesbee and Dr Mohan, they were there fro both Riti and when Streak passed away.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
:hug8:

She's in my prayers. You can do it, Kari!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I only went to the Toledo one since they are so close to Dr. O and Jim our vet tech is always willing to stop whatever he is doing and be with me to help. He asked when Elvis declined if I wanted him there even just for support.

I just was so stunned I think with the severity. I've always worried for her what will happen will Julip and Amada pass but not her.

Thanks all!