• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've chosen a bird (Update)

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
OK thanks for the advice on the cage!

Hmm, yeah I can see why the door would be a problem.. But it's hard to find a cage without a big door like that. Does anyone else have experience with that? With a single bird or.. more specifically a GCC?

Little update, I've been talking with my mom, and we've agreed that once were settled I can start buying supplies and... Well... THE BIRD

I'm so excited, I've been trying to get a bird for months, and every time something got in the way, but now, it's all a set plan :laugh:
I prefer bigger doors for cleaning, getting dishes, toys and the bird out... our Grey's cage doors are too slim, everything is a pain to get in or out or hanging toys it makes you have to contort your body. Annoying! My Peach Fronted conure does not try to escape his big doors (2).

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That's great thanks for telling me about the door everyone!

Encourage your parents to interact with the bird from the start. The more social your bird, the easier it will be later down the road should your parents have to step in to care for him/her.
I was just thinking, will socializing a bird from day 1 help prevent the bird from becoming a one person bird, or is there a chance the bird may cling to a family member (like my dad or something) and hate me? Or just love me? Or will the bird just choose a favorite but still be nice to others? Like generally the bird should cling to me, but still be friendly with everyone else. The family will probably handle the bird once everyday or less, but i will be constantly socializing with the bird, whenever I get the chance.

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
I prefer bigger doors for cleaning, getting dishes, toys and the bird out... our Grey's cage doors are too slim, everything is a pain to get in or out or hanging toys it makes you have to contort your body. Annoying! My Peach Fronted conure does not try to escape his big doors (2).
I also prefer large doors, it makes it a lot easier to put toys in and for the birds to come out as they please. It also makes it easier that for some reason, perhaps in a case of emergency, you’ll be able to get the bird out of the cage easier and get them to safety (I usually like to think ahead as to if something could ever happen)

Congrats on choosing a GCC! I don’t have one (I have a cockatiel) but I heard they can be wonderful birds. I’m glad you plan on having your parents also try to bond with the bird, that’s very important, especially if the bird ends up staying with them for college.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I was just thinking, will socializing a bird from day 1 help prevent the bird from becoming a one person bird, or is there a chance the bird may cling to a family member (like my dad or something) and hate me? Or just love me? Or will the bird just choose a favorite but still be nice to others? Like generally the bird should cling to me, but still be friendly with everyone else. The family will probably handle the bird once everyday or less, but i will be constantly socializing with the bird, whenever I get the chance.
There is always the chance that the bird won't pick you. Maybe this has been linked to you already but here is a great thread on it; Baby to adult. Will they still love me? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Tibs is still young, so it could change but I socialize him and so far, I'm his favorite but he likes (almost--one of my exes made zero effort with my birds and in turn, neither bird likes him) everyone. I also live alone with people who visit so that probably influences my birds too. While I'm at work, my mom does stop by and visit the boys and give special treats. The store that had him did a pretty good job at socializing him too.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
There is always the chance that the bird won't pick you. Maybe this has been linked to you already but here is a great thread on it; Baby to adult. Will they still love me? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Tibs is still young, so it could change but I socialize him and so far, I'm his favorite but he likes (almost--one of my exes made zero effort with my birds and in turn, neither bird likes him) everyone. I also live alone with people who visit so that probably influences my birds too. While I'm at work, my mom does stop by and visit the boys and give special treats. The store that had him did a pretty good job at socializing him too.
Thank you! I skimmed through the link, I will read it fully later. But do you think it's better to get a adult then? Have them choose me, so that there is no change of attitude during maturity?

Congrats on choosing a GCC! I don’t have one (I have a cockatiel) but I heard they can be wonderful birds. I’m glad you plan on having your parents also try to bond with the bird, that’s very important, especially if the bird ends up staying with them for college.
That's great! I was thinking of getting a cockatiel, but I have allergies unfortunately. But I wanted a GCC really bad, but yes, I've worked it out with my family!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Thank you! I skimmed through the link, I will read it fully later. But do you think it's better to get a adult then? Have them choose me, so that there is no change of attitude during maturity?
If you get an adult they are who they are; my Scarlet has been my boy from day 1. And almost five years down the road, he's still my boy. I'd always say pick the bird that picks you; it can work out with younger birds, but my preference is towards adults. I have very little experience with young birds, mostly I've worked with adult to senior birds so my opinion is biased. Tibs is the first young bird (He was around 7 months old when I got him) I've really worked with so I'm still learning :) some people have great success with young birds; I can only speak from what I know.
I think it's great if you and your family would look into adopting an older bird! It certainly couldn't hurt to meet them. You might be surprised with who picks you. I certainly was, both times, actually.

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
If you get an adult they are who they are; my Scarlet has been my boy from day 1. And almost five years down the road, he's still my boy. I'd always say pick the bird that picks you; it can work out with younger birds, but my preference is towards adults. I have very little experience with young birds, mostly I've worked with adult to senior birds so my opinion is biased. Tibs is the first young bird (He was around 7 months old when I got him) I've really worked with so I'm still learning :) some people have great success with young birds; I can only speak from what I know.
I think it's great if you and your family would look into adopting an older bird! It certainly couldn't hurt to meet them. You might be surprised with who picks you. I certainly was, both times, actually.
I agree, I was originally planning on getting a male cockatiel, but turned out adopting a female. We bonded almost immediately, and although she doesn’t sing, she’s got her own little sassy personality. Like @BeanieofJustice said, let the bird choose you!

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Great idea! But I can't visit a rescue. Would this work just by visiting a few olderish birds off of kijiji and seeing who I click with? Would that be too complicated? Thanks

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Great idea! But I can't visit a rescue. Would this work just by visiting a few olderish birds off of kijiji and seeing who I click with? Would that be too complicated? Thanks
That could work - people on here do that all the time :) the person who gave me Sam found him on Craigslist, and we clicked from the moment I met him. I also clicked with Tibs pretty quickly too.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That could work - people on here do that all the time :) the person who gave me Sam found him on Craigslist, and we clicked from the moment I met him. I also clicked with Tibs pretty quickly too.
Okay good! I always see adds for GCCs about age 2-7 on kijiji, so i should be in luck! If it doesn't work out I could try another species of birds. I will check craiglist too, however I find it a bit confusing lol

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Okay good! I always see adds for GCCs about age 2-7 on kijiji, so i should be in luck! If it doesn't work out I could try another species of birds. I will check craiglist too, however I find it a bit confusing lol
That's great!! :D Good luck!! I'd thought kijiji was Canada's version of Craigslist; it's same difference really. I'd guess that there'd probably be a lot of crossover posts anyway. I hope you'll share with us when you find a GCC to go look at!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@parrotlover101 When you are browsing these sites, if you find a bird, best get your mum or dad involved to make contact, and never meet any of those people on your own.
Good luck :)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That's great!! :D Good luck!! I'd thought kijiji was Canada's version of Craigslist; it's same difference really. I'd guess that there'd probably be a lot of crossover posts anyway. I hope you'll share with us when you find a GCC to go look at!!
Haha yeah, I have no idea lol

Yes! I will tell you guys when I am going, and keep you all up-to-date!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is wonderful your family is supporting you. I look forward to the fid photos :)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
:( my heart

Guys I might not get a GCC, I'm considering getting this budgie.

Here let me explain,
My mom just told me about my great grandmothers budgie. She lives in a home and has this little budgie, who she can't even care for. She calls my grandpa to come and feed the bird, and I'm really concerned. This budgie is not living a life it deserves. If she can't feed the bird, how does she play with him, and how does she buy toys?? The apartment in the home is small, so the cage probably is too.

I'm guessing this is a decorative fish situation. An easy, cute pet that takes no effort. I want to see this budgie, my mom thinks I should adopt him. What do you guys think?

Also, can a budgie and GCC live together? What if their in separate rooms?

I can't live thinking of that budgies situation. And if I do nothing, the poor bird will live a depressing life :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What do you guys think?
I think you should go and see him and see how you feel :)
I know it is not the species you originally thought, but there´s no pressure. You may see him and fall in love, or not. But at least you will know.

Also, can a budgie and GCC live together? What if their in separate rooms?
Lots of AA members have both... I´m not sure if they are in the same room or not.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think you should go and see him and see how you feel :)
I know it is not the species you originally thought, but there´s no pressure. You may see him and fall in love, or not. But at least you will know.

Lots of AA members have both... I´m not sure if they are in the same room or not.

Okay, I will talk to my mom about arranging a visit! I might just get both a GCC and the lil budgie. I wonder if he has a name...

Also, have you guys been successful in training older budgies? I'm not sure the age of the budgie, but my guess is at least over a year.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And if I do nothing, the poor bird will live a depressing life :(
Then you know what you have to do. :)
Also, have you guys been successful in training older budgies?
I have. I got my Zenith when he was 2 years old. He lived in a dark basement with 4 cats. They haven't giving him water every day and when I pick him up his water bottle was empty. For the first 2 weeks he drank a lot of water, remember that it soon will be gone. :(
They got him to their son, but they didn't like that he was messy and sounded so after some weeks he was placed in the basement when their son no longer wanted him.
He was not tame when I rescued him.

This is Zenith. ♥ He bonded to me, and I never planned to keep him, just to rescue him. But of course I couldn't let him go. ♥