• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've chosen a bird (Update)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hi everyone! Recently I just moved from Africa to Canada, it was a huge move, but I'm finally settling in Canada.

I had been looking into getting a bird, and ran into numerous complications, but everything is finally coming into place.

When I found out I was moving to Canada, I started looking into birds again, and I have been trying to decide between, a Lovebird, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, budgie, Green Cheek Conure, and many more.

But after a lot of thinking and trying to figure out which best suits my lifestyle...

I've decided to go with a GCC !
Lovebirds are my second choice, they seem wonderful!
Then maybe parrotlets.

The whole family is on board, we saw a little GCC at the pet store and everyone adored him/her. So I think it will go well!

I've talked to them about where the bird will be kept, why we need a bigger cage, why the bird needs to be out of the cage a lot. I've explained diet needs. I am paying for all of this stuff, but I don't want to be Wheeling in a big cage, and have them saying it's to big, go get one of those cute finch cages!

As for college, I am taking my bird with me, that's my plan, and if for some reason I can't take the bird, my parents have offered to take care of him till I can take him back.

Everything is falling into place, I am so excited! I can't wait to have my new fid, and be able to share him with you guys! Thanks for all the great advice and for teaching me how to properly care for birds! I love AA so much!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So nice to hear you are finally able to settle. I hope your whole family is more relaxed now.

Was there no birds in shelters?

RE the cage, tell your parents ¨the cage is xx by xx by xx, I will purchase with my own money and it can go in xx place¨ and get them to OK it before you do it. It will save you having a debate over a cage after buying it and make the whole process much smoother. Do this for all apect of the birds life; so get them to OK vet care, diet, no teflon, no candles etc

Encourage your parents to interact with the bird from the start. The more social your bird, the easier it will be later down the road should your parents have to step in to care for him/her.

I hope you are enjoying Canada :)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So nice to hear you are finally able to settle. I hope your whole family is more relaxed now.

RE the cage, tell your parents ¨the cage is xx by xx by xx, I will purchase with my own money and it can go in xx place¨ and get them to OK it before you do it. It will save you having a debate over a cage after buying it and make the whole process much smoother. Do this for all apect of the birds life; so get them to OK vet care, diet, no teflon, no candles etc

Encourage your parents to interact with the bird from the start. The more social your bird, the easier it will be later down the road should your parents have to step in to care for him/her.

I hope you are enjoying Canada :)
For the shelters we still have to go have a look. Were thinking of checking with the humane society, as it turns out there isn't many rescues around. But if there isn't a bird there, then we will get one off kijiji.

Okay, yes I will tell them this stuff. I have chosen a cage already, so I will probably show them that one. I was shocked, my mom suggested to me that we should get a large cage! She's the one who bought the tiny cage for my budgies in the past!

Great ideas! Thank you!

Canada is great! It's very strange to be back! But awesome :)

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome back to the land of moose! So glad that you're settling in after such a huge move.

It sounds like you're on the right track with your new fid. How wonderful that your family is equally as excited, and that your ma is supporting the purchase of a properly sized cage! I'm very excited to meet your new little one, whenever they arrive. Be sure to post a million pictures!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am so happy for you Judie! I know it feels great to be somewhat settled, and also to choose which species of bird you want. It is also great that your family is in agreement. Keep us posted!

Seriously. Didn't we beat that horse to death with this poor kid already?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. Didn't we beat that horse to death with this poor kid already?
It´s only a question. The last I saw OP was checking out a local rescue, I see now that didn´t work out.

Untitled.png

I was shocked, my mom suggested to me that we should get a large cage! She's the one who bought the tiny cage for my budgies in the past!
It sounds like your mum has listened to everything you have said :)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone! I am so excited to bring home my new bird!

I will defiantly keep you all posted!

I'm thinking I'm getting a bird on Kijiji like @Jazzy* said. I'm not sure if I'm getting a baby or adult yet though.
Probably when everything is all set to bring a bird in, I will go on there and see what I can find, whichever one I am drawn to, I will go check them out ;)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad your parents are on board! That will make things a lot easier.

Here's some information on cage sizes: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages - a GCC needs a minimum of 24x24 inches or 60x60cm. Obviously bigger is better though - if you can accommodate a larger cage in the space, your future bird will really appreciate the space.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Glad your parents are on board! That will make things a lot easier.

Here's some information on cage sizes: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages - a GCC needs a minimum of 24x24 inches or 60x60cm. Obviously bigger is better though - if you can accommodate a larger cage in the space, your future bird will really appreciate the space.
Yes! I agree! It should be a lot easier!

Thank you for giving me that link! I was thinking of getting this cage, I like the size and quality:
Amazon.com : A and E Flight Bird Cage with Stand White : Birdcages : Pet Supplies
Let me know what you think ;)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm not sure if I'm getting a baby or adult yet though
I´m sure destiny will align you with whichever bird is meant to be ;)

That cage looks great (but I don´t have a GCC so don´t take my word on it).

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don’t have a green cheek, but I have had that cage. I don’t like the one really large door, it makes it easy for (finches and canaries) to fly out when I don’t want them to. Maybe would be different with a single bird... others can say.

Besides that — great cage and good price.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
OK thanks for the advice on the cage!

Hmm, yeah I can see why the door would be a problem.. But it's hard to find a cage without a big door like that. Does anyone else have experience with that? With a single bird or.. more specifically a GCC?

Little update, I've been talking with my mom, and we've agreed that once were settled I can start buying supplies and... Well... THE BIRD

I'm so excited, I've been trying to get a bird for months, and every time something got in the way, but now, it's all a set plan :laugh:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
But it's hard to find a cage without a big door like that. Does anyone else have experience with that?
I never had problem with a parrot and a big door. I like big doors.
But I did have that cage to a wild bird that I foster but I did find a solution for that. Will post a pic tomorrow.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have a similar cage for Tibs (Jenday), and I will say the bigger doors do make it easier to decorate the cage. I haven't had an issue with him trying to escape through the doors. I like the cage that you picked out, I think it'd work nicely and the price can't be beat :)
This is what I ended up purchasing for reference; Amazon.com : HQ Flight Cage, Multi Purpose Aviary With Cart Stand, 1 Per Box, 32x21x60"H, Platinum : Flight Cages For Cockatiels : Pet Supplies
I never had problem with a parrot and a big door. I like big doors.
But I did have that cage to a wild bird that I foster but I did find a solution for that. Will post a pic tomorrow.
Thanks, @Eloy and @BeanieofJustice! I'm glad you like the cage :) Good thing the doors are fine!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I made a short video instead.
This works fine if you have smaller and more wild birds and a big cage door.

That's ingenious!