• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've chosen a bird (Update)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Go see the budgie. Seems like it really needs a good home. I'd also suggest you work with the budgie least still you start college...is it in the fall??? You can more easily bring a budgies cage than a GCC. Budgies won't make as much loud noise to upset the dorm for esp those who party late & sleep late. I fear you will find college will being so much new things into your life that you won;t have time for the bird & its really not fair to get a bird then have your parents care for them for 2 or 4 years. So maybe the budgie was supposed to be as it really needs a home.:angelic:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can more easily bring a budgies cage than a GCC. Budgies won't make as much loud noise to upset the dorm for esp those who party late & sleep late.
Bear in mind that many halls of residences/dorms won't allow any pets. It doesn't matter whether they're big or small - unless it's a human student, it's not living in the building.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Then you know what you have to do. :)

I have. I got my Zenith when he was 2 years old. He lived in a dark basement with 4 cats. They haven't giving him water every day and when I pick him up his water bottle was empty. For the first 2 weeks he drank a lot of water, remember that it soon will be gone. :(
They got him to their son, but they didn't like that he was messy and sounded so after some weeks he was placed in the basement when their son no longer wanted him.
He was not tame when I rescued him.

This is Zenith. ♥ He bonded to me, and I never planned to keep him, just to rescue him. But of course I couldn't let him go. ♥

That's awesome! Aww Zenith! He's so lucky to have you!

Go see the budgie. Seems like it really needs a good home. I'd also suggest you work with the budgie least still you start college...is it in the fall??? You can more easily bring a budgies cage than a GCC. Budgies won't make as much loud noise to upset the dorm for esp those who party late & sleep late. I fear you will find college will being so much new things into your life that you won;t have time for the bird & its really not fair to get a bird then have your parents care for them for 2 or 4 years. So maybe the budgie was supposed to be as it really needs a home.:angelic:
I'm going to college in a few years, so I would have quite a bit of time beforehand to work with the bird.

My only concern, is well how to get the bird. The budgie may be the only thing keeping her happy :( I'm not sure how I would get him. I will try but, I don't know.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I didn't see your posts earlier when I replied, weird.

Sometimes the bird you don't expect turns out to be the perfect bird. :) Hopefully you get to meet budgie and things fall into place.
I hope so too! :)

Bear in mind that many halls of residences/dorms won't allow any pets. It doesn't matter whether they're big or small - unless it's a human student, it's not living in the building.
That's true. Thing is, I don't ever plan on living in a dorm, our family has had bad experiences, so we all plan on staying with family during that time.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Planning on taking a bird or keeping a bird in a dorm is very likely not going to be possible. Only uninvited pets are 6 legged ones...That's why I mentioned it as #1 dorms are mostly not going to allow it. Outside housing it going to be more expensive than dorms & you loose a vital part of college which is socialization & quick access to libraries & events. A bird is going to be a limitation even if you bring it. You will find college is not like HS. It can be very intense depending on the school & there will be so many things extracurricular that you should do as its the only time in your life that you will be free to explore. When your out & in the work force than your time will be spent working. If your parents are willing to essentially be taking care of the bird for many years while you get thru college then it could work but if its bonded to you it might be difficult or it will bond with your parents...Having a bird & going thru 4 years of college is not easy for either of you in many cases. A few years to a older budgie could be his lifespan but a baby GCC will be around hopefully least 20 25 or more years...

Oh I see living with other family...So you have to make sure that they are willing to change there lifestyle for the bird & use safe cooking & cleaning practices & they have a safe dog/cat free zone...all I am saying is your life will depend on others & they too will have to be able & willing to provide a safe home...

As for your great grandmother is she is unable to properly provide a enriched home for the bird who only gets fed & water & cleaned on a visitors schedule then its not fair to the bird & your grandmother should look into a non living source of comfort for her. Movies etc.

Its not fair for any living creature to suffer so someone can take pleasure in them. Maybe a fish would be better as its needed can be met more easily by someone occasionally changing water & filter pads as long as she can sprinkle some food flakes every day...Not trying to be uncompassionate for Great Granny but birdy deserves to live a nice life too.

Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Alright I'm gonna admit, this is a very tough decision. I left AA for a little while due to a lot of presser, I'm afraid to make a bad decision and be judged on it. I'm not sure granny's bird is gonna work out for us, at least for now. But if the situation gets any worse I'm gonna get that bird.

For the bird I'm getting now, I still plan on getting a GCC, my family all agrees I should get a baby, however I'm not sure, I will see what's available when the time comes, I may still get an adult.

Your right, i shouldn't just expect my family to allow me to bring a bird in. But I believe i will be staying with my parents, in my own home during college. I realize it might be a mistake to get a bird now, I can see what your saying. But it's worth it to me, I may have to wait as long as 10 years till I am settled and have my own place, and fully ready. But, I can't wait that long, I can barely wait a year. My bird died the day after Christmas, I have missed having a bird since, so much regret, I've been preparing myself all this time. I feel this is the right decision for me, and if i'm wrong, then I will have to figure it out, but the bird will always come first, i won't get rid of the bird, or let it's needs suffer, ever.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Please don´t feel pressured into doing something you do not want to do or that won´t work for your family.
You did go and see the bird and your grandmas house, and it wasn´t meant to be. That´s ok. Don´t feel bad for not bringing that bird home with you.

In regards to choosing to bring home a chick or an adult bird, I´m sure the decision will be easier once you go out looking for a bird.

When my very young dog passed away 6 years ago this month I was devastated. I really didn´t think I´d have another dog again nor did I want one. My Ex basically forced me to get another dog 3 months later to keep his company. Now I look back and I know it is what I needed, I just didn´t see that at the time.
So I understand completely what you say about wanting another bird in your life after your beloved bird passed away.

Good luck in whatever you decide :)
You won´t make a bad decision, so please don´t feel that you will be judged - be the bird a chick or an adult, from a rescue or a breeder, we will be here to welcome him/her to the Avenue ❤

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Please don´t feel pressured into doing something you do not want to do or that won´t work for your family.
You did go and see the bird and your grandmas house, and it wasn´t meant to be. That´s ok. Don´t feel bad for not bringing that bird home with you.

In regards to choosing to bring home a chick or an adult bird, I´m sure the decision will be easier once you go out looking for a bird.

When my very young dog passed away 6 years ago this month I was devastated. I really didn´t think I´d have another dog again nor did I want one. My Ex basically forced me to get another dog 3 months later to keep his company. Now I look back and I know it is what I needed, I just didn´t see that at the time.
So I understand completely what you say about wanting another bird in your life after your beloved bird passed away.

Good luck in whatever you decide :)
You won´t make a bad decision, so please don´t feel that you will be judged - be the bird a chick or an adult, from a rescue or a breeder, we will be here to welcome him/her to the Avenue ❤
Thank you so much :heart: This is really encouraging for me!

I'm sorry about your dog btw. Even though it was awhile ago.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
@parrotlover101 Things have a way of working themselves out, you'll find the bird that you were meant to find. I'm so sorry that you felt pressured; we're all here for the birds and other animals, if the budgie wasn't meant to be then it wasn't meant to be. Things have a way of working themselves out the way that they're supposed to. The best thing you can do is plan to be prepared.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@parrotlover101 Things have a way of working themselves out, you'll find the bird that you were meant to find. I'm so sorry that you felt pressured; we're all here for the birds and other animals, if the budgie wasn't meant to be then it wasn't meant to be. Things have a way of working themselves out the way that they're supposed to. The best thing you can do is plan to be prepared.
Thank you @BeanieofJustice
:hug8:

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
Just found this post and I really enjoyed reading through it! Gives me a lot of insight on parrots and college. I’m so glad you’re getting a GCC! I went to Petco the other day with my sister to get food for her axolotls and I saw 4! I fell in love with them and went on another “I-love-this-bird-and-it’s-literally-the-best-thing-that’s-happened-to-me” spree. I still really like them but I thought my family wouldn’t be able to handle the noise. Honestly, I expected more of a GCC to be the body, but I think they’re long tail makes them even cuter! I saw one fall asleep too and I thought I would cry or something lol. My family is actually planning to move to a better location in NY in like 2 or more years down the road where we’ll have a bigger house with more space for everything and they said they could consider a bird. Then again college is in the way so I’m no closer to reaching my decision than yesterday. Hopefully as I get older and know for sure which college I would be attending things will fall into place. Hope everything works out for you!

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@aqualover9 Yes! I am really excited! They really are just the cutest little guys.

That sounds so cute! I could imagine the cuteness overload with the bird falling asleep!

Good luck for you, I hope you can get a bird soon. Definitely more space would help :) But whenever you get him/her, it's gonna be worth the wait!