• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Oliver 400 grams because he could be a ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmoKramer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zach
Unfortunately, I think that it's already starting to happen for Capes. I found 1 rehome ad when I was searching for mine and would have adopted but the owner changed his mind. Since I've brought Lola home, I've found many more (they're still not common, but you can find them). I also see them at a number of bird stores now, so they have to be going somewhere. Unfortunately many of the stores have told me some pretty terrible information ("Oh, a 24 x 24 cage is perfectly fine. These guys aren't that big or active.") so, I am sure we will start seeing their numbers on the rise in unfit homes and then as rehomes.

On this forum, we have Fanny (Carol S.), Ramona (PeaceLoveDreamer), Lola (mine), Capri (Joanna), Oliver (Nikki), Olivia (luvsgreys), and Egg (hehe -- Natacha). 7 Total :)
I think it also greatly depends on area. . Like here poi's are very unpopular, Ive never seen any bird from the poi family up for adoption except 1 senegal a few years back. Tammie from this board was the first breeder I found near by me that had them and Ive never seen them at chain petstores or any of the bird stores Ive been to in my area.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I think it also greatly depends on area. . Like here poi's are very unpopular, Ive never seen any bird from the poi family up for adoption except 1 senegal a few years back. Tammie from this board was the first breeder I found near by me that had them and Ive never seen them at chain petstores or any of the bird stores Ive been to in my area.
Wow, complete contrast from my area where we have Pois galore, everything you can imagine from Senegals, Meyer's, Ruppell's, Jardines, Brown-heads and Capes. The only species I have not often seen is the RBP.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Wow, complete contrast from my area where we have Pois galore, everything you can imagine from Senegals, Meyer's, Ruppell's, Jardines, Brown-heads and Capes. The only species I have not often seen is the RBP.
I find the ones I see the most for rehoming are Senegals, followed by Meyer's.

I was looking for a bit more over two years for a female RBP in need of a new home before I thought might as well go through a breeder. Only after there was a clutch of three males did I run into Pixel. And after I got Pixel, another female was offered to me. After her, none. I've seen a few males in need of a new homes though.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I find the ones I see the most for rehoming are Senegals, followed by Meyer's.
OK, I misunderstood and thought what was meant was general availability. Pois aren't as often rehomed in my area as conures, macaws and Amazons it seems. :)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
OK, I misunderstood and thought what was meant was general availability. Pois aren't as often rehomed in my area as conures, macaws and Amazons it seems. :)
I could have misread - it just reminded me of the hard time of finding a RBP. Even the breeder required some work ;)

I don't find Rueppels that commonly available though. I know of one currently for sale, a male, in a pet store and I know of one breeder in southern Ontario..I think that is it.

Sparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
I find this interesting...in Europe Senegals are relatively available, in my area there're 2 breeders (mind you, we are a small country only 5 million of us). RBP, as far as I know, there are none in Croatia, but if you travel an hour or so and cross the border you could find them, the same is with Rueppels, Meyers and Jardines. I know of an excellent breeder here in Croatia that is working on getting all of the Poi family, will he make it, we'll see. There's only one Cape breeder and this year they had their first clutch. Price for Pois is rather high, no matter what subspecie, but that has all to do with the number of people buying african greys and amazons and that number is sky rocketing, people who never owned a parrot buy them as a first bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.