• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Oliver 400 grams because he could be a ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
It's interesting that the baby on that hand doesn't look so big at all.:huh:
It could all be about how the picture was shot.
In any case, don't they continue to put on some weight for quite some time?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would think so but I really don't know. Do they just get heavier or do they actually become larger?

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
In any case, don't they continue to put on some weight for quite some time?
From what I've seen, they continue growing past the half year mark but how far beyond this, I'm not certain. It's not huge changes but they do grow some more and fill out. This bird could also have been on the smaller end of the species scale, we cannot be certain.

Another thing regarding photos, there's not much to accurately judge scale by. Someone's arm could be small or large in real life. It's difficult to gauge size of an animal because a photo cannot reveal true size without a standard object of reference along side it, whereby everyone can easily relate and compare. There was a member on the forum last year who rescued parrots, and once she posted pics of a Hyacinth Macaw that everyone commented looked kind of petite for a Hy. Then she mentioned that the bird was average-sized for its species but her height was approaching 6.5ft...all is relative.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Makes sense Titanis.:) Off topic. I just hope that Capes don't become so popular that I see them being rehomed and resold on craiglist type ads.:(

TITANIS

Makes sense Titanis.:) Off topic. I just hope that Capes don't become so popular that I see them being rehomed and resold on craiglist type ads.:(
It may happen one day. Scott Lewis once wrote that he was afraid of this possible scenario. He stated that this species had so much going for it as an ideal parrot (as much as this is possible for a parrot) for home environments. It's temperament, size and general care make it above average. Once Capes become better known he feared, the prospect of some of these birds ending up in less than fortunate circumstances concerned him. He felt they deserved far better than this.
I also fear that it's inevitable because his, quote "best-kept secret" has been out of the bag for some time now.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Think of this forum Titanis. A very small community when you consider the big picture and look at how many capes there will be on this forum before the end of year. ALOT in my opinion.
More than the pionus white caps and more than the severe macaw owners too.
I really wonder why there aren't many severe macaw owner folks on here.:huh:

TITANIS

Think of this forum Titanis. A very small community when you consider the big picture and look at how many capes there will be on this forum before the end of year. ALOT in my opinion.
More than the pionus white caps and more than the severe macaw owners too. I really wonder why there aren't many severe macaw owner folks on here.:huh:
I think there's several at least besides Mabel. They tend not to speak much about their Severes, unless these members no longer post here. I remember a few owners here last year but even then they weren't very vocal about their Severes. Severes are very much like the large macaws in needs inasmuch as what works for the big guys will generally be good for Severes. The cage and food requirements will be less but in all aspects their needs will be close to the same. Maybe that's one reason they don't post many threads? :huh: :)

(apologies for the OT post)

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
No need to apologize, all bird talk is good talk...please Carry on. :D

CosmoKramer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zach
This is a very interesting thread, I love learning more about the Capes!!

More than the pionus white caps and more than the severe macaw owners too.
I really wonder why there aren't many severe macaw owner folks on here.:huh:
I agree with you, the number of Cape owners have been growing rapidly on this forum. Before I joined I had never heard of a Cape, I think Joanna's Capri was my first introduction to the Capes. Im not posative on time lines but I remeber Coco's Lola was rather young at that point too, as was Oliver. Now we have cute Olivia and Natacha's soon to be baby girl. Having 5 Capes in I think to what would be around a year give or take in age is quite a large amount for such an unpopular bird.

I hope as well that they dont become overly popular and get tossed around because they as do all deserve better then that. They are such a wonderful species that I hope to be owned by one day.

TITANIS

I agree with you, the number of Cape owners have been growing rapidly on this forum. Before I joined I had never heard of a Cape, I think Joanna's Capri was my first introduction to the Capes. Im not posative on time lines but I remeber Coco's Lola was rather young at that point too, as was Oliver. Now we have cute Olivia and Natacha's soon to be baby girl. Having 5 Capes in I think to what would be around a year give or take in age is quite a large amount for such an unpopular bird.
There could be more than 5 Capes presently but haven't actually counted. People here are in a pretty close knit online community. There's a thread somewhere about forums contributing to MBS and it's possible that one person's flock can very much influence the eventual acquisition of new birds to another's flock. Especially in cases where the birds are highly desired for their all around good qualities. It's understandable how influential this forum can be.

I hope as well that they dont become overly popular and get tossed around because they as do all deserve better then that. They are such a wonderful species that I hope to be owned by one day.
Me to. :) :cool10:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Unfortunately, I think that it's already starting to happen for Capes. I found 1 rehome ad when I was searching for mine and would have adopted but the owner changed his mind. Since I've brought Lola home, I've found many more (they're still not common, but you can find them). I also see them at a number of bird stores now, so they have to be going somewhere. Unfortunately many of the stores have told me some pretty terrible information ("Oh, a 24 x 24 cage is perfectly fine. These guys aren't that big or active.") so, I am sure we will start seeing their numbers on the rise in unfit homes and then as rehomes.

On this forum, we have Fanny (Carol S.), Ramona (PeaceLoveDreamer), Lola (mine), Capri (Joanna), Oliver (Nikki), Olivia (luvsgreys), and Egg (hehe -- Natacha). 7 Total :)

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
Egg :lol:I contacted a breeder earlier this year about a Cape, but than Lino came to me so I put getting one on hold until he gets a bit older.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Egg with a capital "E"...Wondering if I should just put it in the name running :lol:

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Nikki is correct, Olivia is in the 266 gram range. :) She eats and flies like they're going out of style so I imagine she might make it to just under 300 grams by her first birthday. I think there are a few more Capes owners on here that just post a bit more unfrequently.. There was female -Piper, male -Scotty and I think another male....I'm not sure. Coco's right though, I saw a craigslist add for an 11 month old female in D.C. The owners reply was a bit unsettling, :( and honestly if we'd had the funds for a third bird I would have brought her home for some good tlc. I think it's a very sad thing that the animal shelters/rescues are so full in our country. I feel it shows the lack of commitment and respect to animals that so many Americans fail to posses.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Egg with a capital "E"...Wondering if I should just put it in the name running :lol:
Yes let's name Natacha's EGG.. Egglectia!!!:rofl:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha

Yes let's name Natacha's EGG.. Egglectia!!!:rofl:
Can Emma say that? 'Cause I don't think I can :lol:

I think I'll leave it at Egg, "E" for short - not that it needs much shortening :lol:

TITANIS

Nikki is correct, Olivia is in the 266 gram range. :) She eats and flies like they're going out of style so I imagine she might make it to just under 300 grams by her first birthday. I think there are a few more Capes owners on here that just post a bit more unfrequently.. There was female -Piper, male -Scotty and I think another male....I'm not sure.
Yes, I remember a few infrequent posters from last year with Capes, so we could be closer to 10 Capes even excluding the members who haven't brought theirs home yet.

Coco's right though, I saw a craigslist add for an 11 month old female in D.C. The owners reply was a bit unsettling, :( and honestly if we'd had the funds for a third bird I would have brought her home for some good tlc. I think it's a very sad thing that the animal shelters/rescues are so full in our country. I feel it shows the lack of commitment and respect to animals that so many Americans fail to posses.
Actually, I don't think there's a lack of respect for animals in the US that is any greater than in other Western countries. I think it's more the size of the country (number of birds) that grants that impression. I have yet to see a Cape being rehomed here and I live fairly close to one of the most well known Canadian Cape breeders. Also, largely contributing is the relatively low purchase cost of exotics and supplies compared to Canada and Europe. Just to give an example, a typical cost for a Sun Conure is about $1000 at a store, a Hahn's Macaw sells for $1500. Over the years, I always thought that the high cost of exotics north of the border was a huge negative but one good thing that probably results from this is a more serious attitude of prospective owners towards the animals they bring home.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Yes, I remember a few infrequent posters from last year with Capes, so we could be closer to 10 Capes even excluding the members who haven't brought theirs home yet.

Actually, I don't think there's a lack of respect for animals in the US that is any greater than in other Western countries. I think it's more the size of the country (number of birds) that grants that impression. I have yet to see a Cape being rehomed here and I live fairly close to one of the most well known Canadian Cape breeders. Also, largely contributing is the relatively low purchase cost of exotics and supplies compared to Canada and Europe. Just to give an example, a typical cost for a Sun Conure is about $1000 at a store, a Hahn's Macaw sells for $1500. Over the years, I always thought that the high cost of exotics north of the border was a huge negative but one good thing that probably results from this is a more serious attitude of prospective owners towards the animals they bring home.
Actually, over the last few years I've heard of two - one was close to Quebec city, a male, one was in Alberta, a female.

Which is still very little.

TITANIS

Actually, over the last few years I've heard of two - one was close to Quebec city, a male, one was in Alberta, a female.
It's very possible, I've only been looking at rehomes for about the last 3 years now and not every day.

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]
Forget the scientificy stuff! Just look at his cuteness! <3 Awuah!

Status
Not open for further replies.