• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Oliver 400 grams because he could be a ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Judging by Olivia, I'd be really, really surprised if Oliver were a Grey-Headed. I am 100% sure, however, that he's handsome-headed :D
Thanks Coco! I am not sure...He is a lot bigger then the adult capes that I have come across. I doesn't really matter anyways, because I :heart: him so.

Nikki, who's your breeder, is it Scott? He would definitely know. Breeders usually know the species and subspecies of birds they breed and you can ask them to get a better idea. :)
When I bought him, I was talking to her about capes, upcapes and she said a cape is a cape blah blah blah...As far as I know the can be a mixture of the 2. Stephanie did get Olivia from the same breeder and told her that Olivia was a brown necked only after Stephanie told her about the the difference. My theory is the breeder started breeding capes withouth the knowledge of the 3 different kinds of capes: P.r., P.f.s, & P.f.f. I think she is more a hands on learner then a book or internet learner. It really doesn't bother me, because Oliver is such a LOVE and she did great with him.... But he is he biggest cape that I have ever seen with my own 2 eyes and he will be 1 on Sunday & already weighs 400g.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I dont know what subspecies he is,but wow he is such a handsome and adorable boy :heart:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
He is definitely a cutie!

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
When I bought him, I was talking to her about capes, upcapes and she said a cape is a cape blah blah blah...As far as I know the can be a mixture of the 2. Stephanie did get Olivia from the same breeder and told her that Olivia was a brown necked only after Stephanie told her about the the difference. My theory is the breeder started breeding capes withouth the knowledge of the 3 different kinds of capes: P.r., P.f.s, & P.f.f. I think she is more a hands on learner then a book or internet learner. It really doesn't bother me, because Oliver is such a LOVE and she did great with him.... But he is he biggest cape that I have ever seen with my own 2 eyes and he will be 1 on Sunday & already weighs 400g.
He does look more Grey-headed than Brown-necked and his size points towards Grey-headed. Scott from OWA breeds both subspecies... Old World Aviaries: Cape Parrot photos

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
How do you tell the difference in the males, Titanis? In some photos, Oliver looks to me like he has quite a bit of coral on his cheeks -- not in these photos, but in Nikki's avatar for example or past photos.

TITANIS

How do you tell the difference in the males, Titanis? In some photos, Oliver looks to me like he has quite a bit of coral on his cheeks -- not in these photos, but in Nikki's avatar for example or past photos.
In person it would be easier if there's a 100g size differential which equates to ~25% difference. I would imagine coloring would show less coral in the cheek and neck region with adult males.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Coco, in my avatar Oliver is still a wee babe and now most of the coral is now gone on his head.

TITANIS

The adult Grey-heads I've seen were all female and there was no coral whatsoever below the crown. So, figure the same for adult males with little to no coloring on the crown. I'm not aware of a significant size difference between sexes of the same subspecies in case anyone is wondering. Scott could answer all of our questions since he breeds both according to his site. :cool10:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The adult Grey-heads I've seen were all female and there was no coral whatsoever below the crown. So, figure the same for adult males with little to no coloring on the crown. I'm not aware of a significant size difference between sexes of the same subspecies in case anyone is wondering. Scott could answer all of our questions since he breeds both according to his site. :cool10:
It will be interesting to find out how much Natacha's parrot will weigh.:)

TITANIS

It will be interesting to find out how much Natacha's parrot will weigh.:)
I'm quite curious myself. We will need to wait some time though but if she's going to be anything like the Capes I've seen, 400g would be about right if not more. :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I've spoken to Scott quite a bit about Capes. Males tend to have much larger heads and beaks and typically a Male Grey-Headed weighs on average 400-425, possibly nearing 450 grams. He said a female Grey-Headed averages from 350-400.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have a picture at home of the parents of my possible-girl-to-be.
I might try to post it here later today or tomorrow. Both parents seem to have a little coral on their cheeks although the back of their head looks most definitively grey.

TITANIS

I've spoken to Scott quite a bit about Capes. Males tend to have much larger heads and beaks and typically a Male Grey-Headed weighs on average 400-425, possibly nearing 450 grams. He said a female Grey-Headed averages from 350-400.
Very interesting, then males typically get to be anywhere between 50-75g bigger. If their heads are much larger, how much bigger can that beak get, LOL. :eek: Seriously, the females I've seen rivaled CAGs in size but a bit on the slimmer side.

Do you know if there's a sizable difference between Brown-necked sexes?

I have a picture at home of the parents of my possible-girl-to-be.
I might try to post it here later today or tomorrow. Both parents seem to have a little coral on their cheeks although the back of their head looks most definitively grey.
That would be fantastic. :cool10:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Very interesting, then males typically get to be anywhere between 50-75g bigger. If their heads are much larger, how much bigger can that beak get, LOL. :eek: Seriously, the females I've seen rivaled CAGs in size but a bit on the slimmer side.

Do you know if there's a sizable difference between Brown-necked sexes?
Hmm, well, he said Brown-neckeds are anywhere from 75-100 grams smaller on average. Males about 300-350 and females about 250-300. This is why he was very, very surprised by how much Lola weighed (350-360+) despite being a Brown-Neck.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
One thing though, it's a picture of both parents with three babies.
On this specific picture they don't look entirely truely pleased with the intrusion ;)

petah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Peter

Hmm, well, he said Brown-neckeds are anywhere from 75-100 grams smaller on average. Males about 300-350 and females about 250-300. This is why he was very, very surprised by how much Lola weighed (350-360+) despite being a Brown-Neck.
There will always be exceptions!

A good example is humans, we have exceptions! Some are taller than the others even though they are in the same species (okay I am using the term loosely, lol). What I mean is "race" instead of species. You could have a 7' tall asian male but that is rare, not unheard of but that is out of the "norm".

The other theory is... the parrot just loves food. :D

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Picture as promised.

Mommy at the front, you can see a bit of dad in the back.

And baby with a lot of red on it's head.

Grown up baby

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's interesting that the baby on that hand doesn't look so big at all.:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.