• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introductory Palm Nut Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
We are located in South Florida and feed a variety of locally grown palm nuts to our flock. I have previously posted photos and videos here of various members of our flock tearing into the husks of the nuts and eventually extracting the nuts to eat. We have birds as small as Caiques and as large as Blue & Golds who spend up to 20 minutes at a time working a nut. Palm nuts, therefore, are not only a valued part of a bird's diet here, but are also a great form of natural enrichment for them.

We are pleased to be able to make an introductory offer to AA members residing in the US of a small box of a variety of palm nuts for a flat rate (including shipping) of $10. Your nuts will arrive USPS priority mail. The box will contain a sample of nuts from the following Palm Trees grown locally in the South Florida area and personally harvested by us: Queen Palm, Foxtail Palm and Fan Palm. Here is a photo showing what a typical box will contain:

The nuts on the left are Foxtail Palm Nuts. The dark-skinned nuts come from the Fan Palm tree. The green ones on the right are from the Queen Palm Tree. The Queen Palm nuts will ship green but will ripen into a lovely golden color. They may be given to your birds either green or ripened. We find our birds like them either way.

We find the palm nuts store well in the refrigerator for approximately a week. Others have reported to us that they have frozen theirs for extended storage and thaw them in a cup of hot water before serving.

There is a learning curve to birds discovering that there is a nut inside the husk. Some people will smash a nut open with a hammer at first to show a bird what is inside. We have just left the nuts with our birds and allowed them time to discover this on their own. Our way is slower though, as we have found that while most will happily chew up the skin, fruit and husk, if left to their own devices, it can take as long as a month for them to find out there is a nut inside. Once this is discovered, birds are unrelenting in their pursuit of the nut. Here is a short video showing a Caique of ours working very hard to get to the nut inside the husk of a Foxtail Palm nut:
YouTube - Caique eating foxtail palm nut .mpg

Before feeding the nuts to your birds, we recommend that palm nuts be soaked for 30 minutes in a gallon of water in which 15 drops of GSE have been added. Rinse well.

Here are a few photos showing our birds feasting on palm nuts:

Here is a video showing my pet B&G named Cooper ripping through the husk of a large Foxtail Palm nut. He has already removed the skin and eaten the flesh around the husk and is now getting down to business and working to get to the nut.
YouTube - MOV06760.MPG

This is a video showing my pet U2 named Izzy ripping through the husk of a Foxtail Palm nut. Look carefully as at the very end of the clip you will see her pulling out the nut.
YouTube - Izzy eating Foxtail Palm nut(1).mpg

If you would like a box of these nuts for $10, please PM me to place your order. We are limiting this offer to the first 10 people who respond. The nuts you receive were cut down from the trees late this afternoon and in order to ensure that they will arrive in best condition, we plan to ship them on the morning of Thursday, February 25th. Therefore, we must have all orders by 5:00 p.m. EST tomorrow (February 24th) and as of that time, this offer shall expire.

Thank you!

drop

How nice of you to offer this! Wonder who the lucky 10 will be. I hope they will post some pictures of their birds chowing down.

I have been wanting to try these for a long time but have only ever found them frozen and the person always sold out before I could place an order :(

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I PM'ed you and cannot wait to get a shipment of these. I will be more than happy to send you pics with my birds enjoying them.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
They're really pretty! I think they might be a little too tough for my lovie and tiels but they would look great in a vase, lol!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I remember the Landscapers would cut off the nuts from our Queen palms when I lived down there. I am not sure what they did with them?

Amazing, had I only known ;)

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I remember the Landscapers would cut off the nuts from our Queen palms when I lived down there. I am not sure what they did with them?

Amazing, had I only known ;)
I'm betting the landscapers just disposed of them along with the grass clippings and tree trimmings. That is a pity if they did, because the nuts of Queen Palms are known to be good for our parrots. Here is a link to a short article where this is discussed: The Queen Palm Nut Tree

pga7602

Jogging around the block
Thanks for the education :) Now I'm going out to my yard and cutting some Queen Palm nuts down :D

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Thanks for the education :) Now I'm going out to my yard and cutting some Queen Palm nuts down :D
That's great! If you have Queen Palms near you, I'm betting you may have the other varieties of palm trees that I've spoken about. Look around!

Lara Joseph

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lara Joseph
I'm not going to intrude on the first 10 orders and want to make sure other members are able to get them first. I'm pm'ing you and if you fill up with 10 orders fast, I'll wait until the next time. If not, I'm jumping in on this one.

I have a tip I'd like to suggest and will do with mine also. I'm going to drill small holes into the sides of them. This way it will encourage the bird to do more chewing if they aren't destroying them right away. I bet the holes will encourage them to continue to chew for the goodies inside.

I bet these could be hung on skewers too. I'm betting if I hang these near their favored perches, they'll be investigated for sure.

I can't wait and glad you are finally offering this!!! Great price too.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
If anyone would know how to get a bird interested in foraging, it would be you, Lara! Thanks for the tips and I have no doubt you are right.

I'll be sending you a box and look forward to hearing how your flock does with them!

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I have received orders in excess of the 10 I had offered to fill and I believe we have enough here to fill all who have ordered as of the time of this posting. At this point, though, I will need to close this offer.

For those of you who are interested in trying out palm nuts with your birds, I suggest you go ahead and PM me your name & mailing address and when we next go out to harvest nuts (probably sometime next week), I will fill your order then. Thank you everyone!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess.. this can't be sent to Canada right?:huh::(

Lara Joseph

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lara Joseph
If anyone would know how to get a bird interested in foraging, it would be you, Lara! Thanks for the tips and I have no doubt you are right.

I'll be sending you a box and look forward to hearing how your flock does with them!

Awesome! I'll snap photos and post them here. It would be great to see other photos and ideas also.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I guess.. this can't be sent to Canada right?:huh::(
I'm thinking not but have not checked into it. I thought to be safe this time, I should limit it to just US residents. If I can ship them to Canada, I'd be happy to!

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Could you please add me to your waiting list.. I tried to send you a PM but I'm a spaz and I don't think I did it correctly... :(

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Could you please add me to your waiting list.. I tried to send you a PM but I'm a spaz and I don't think I did it correctly... :(
I put you down, Daisy. Maybe I can get a box out to you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.