• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inherited way too many birds, I need to have my head examined!

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett
:wideyed: :xflove:
I have to say I'm disappointed in the way some people are ganging up. Opinions have been voiced but it seems some are intent on not just voicing opinion and being done, but grinding a certain member into the ground.

Yes, males usually help the females, but it seems like this was a unique situation? I didn't realize the world was black and white and there is only one right answer to everything. :eek:
Well you said the birds were in bad shape. She can't do both - keep the eggs warm AND feed herself. So your priority is either to get the birds back in shape or have the eggs hatch. Seems like the latter was more important.

Who said this particular hen was in bad shape? This was one of my own hens that I have had for a while. She is beautiful, in great condition and healthy.
I didn't read this thread until its relevance was brought to light in the other thread. It is background info.
By the OP's own post it was multiple males of the new group that were removed so not sure why she's changing her story now.
If I see someone neglecting a bird(s) (in this case by removing the males that would have fed the females or taken a turn on the nest so she could go eat), I will say something, whether it be the same day, a week later or whenever I happen to see the thread. I didn't realize there was a time limit on helpful information.

A real breeder would have known to remove the eggs to an incubator and then hand feed if one of the parents was not acting appropriately. Instead of leaving the female to try to hatch eggs and go hungry.

A real budgie breeder would know what a budgie is.
Like I said before I know this budgie hen and I would often see her come out of the nest to eat, drink and poop. Plus I give my hens milllet sprays in the box so they have something to nibble.
As for the tiel eggs, I already posted quite a while ago that of the 60 plus eggs in all the budgie, conure, tiel and parrotlet nesting boxes only a very few were viable. The rest were clear or dis. Plus when I put some of the eggs on top of a cage the shell was so soft it would slip through the bars.

Buzzard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jess
Maybe wading back into the battle isn't a good idea? I hope you've had a chance to speak to your friend so you two can work out what is going to be the best thing for the birds.