• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inherited way too many birds, I need to have my head examined!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
KNOX gelatin is for protien, I sprinkle it on my birds fruit and veggies. They dont even know its there. I had a rescue dove here with "rubber beak" and it helped to improve his beak in less then a month. =)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Also be careful adding Vitamin D supplement without consulting a vet first, I use liquid coral calcium as well in theyre water, it has Vitamin D in it, enough to help, but not too much as to harm. Acouple drops per half cup of water. My vet says its one of the best things to use besides liquid calciglubonate which has to adminstered orally.

Last edited:

LyleMoody

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Lyle Moody
i am too with the suggestion of not to separate them as there are ways to follow if you are not intended of any breeding from your birds

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett
i am too with the suggestion of not to separate them as there are ways to follow if you are not intended of any breeding from your birds
Sorry, but the cockatiels and budgies have all been separated. There were 17 cockatiels in a 36"X 18"X 52" cage, it was overcrowded and there were quite a number of birds who had been mutilated. I did it to protect the birds from further harm.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hoping everyone improves by the day, thank you agagin for helping them.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Do people realize that breeders start giving eggs to the birds to start the breeding cycle??? Yes it does and that is one reason it should be feed sparingly otherwise that rich food starts them from wanting to lay eggs.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
I stand corrected, I had been misinformed. But bottomline, the ones that you see advertised all the time are the for the most part the smaller variety, not the larger English or Show budgies like what I have.
The smaller ones are the wild type of budgies (even if they have been bred to have all different color mutations) and are called either just budgies or Australian budgies, the ones you breed are the domesticated variety, called English or Show budgie. And, yes, you are correct, almost all the ones you see in CL are 'regular' budgies.

I hear you on the not rehoming them so they won't be bred right away but, if you don't charge a penny and give them to people you know (relatives, friends) you can impose conditions and keep a bit of control over the whole thing (that's what I do with my purebred Spanish Timbrados).

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Do people realize that breeders start giving eggs to the birds to start the breeding cycle??? Yes it does and that is one reason it should be feed sparingly otherwise that rich food starts them from wanting to lay eggs.
You are correct. Eggs have a lot of protein and they do bring them into condition PLUS these birds had, most likely, a seed diet so they certainly do not need any extra protein, be it in the form of eggs or gelatin, what they need is vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett
You are correct. Eggs have a lot of protein and they do bring them into condition PLUS these birds had, most likely, a seed diet so they certainly do not need any extra protein, be it in the form of eggs or gelatin, what they need is vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
That is easy to remedy, all I need to do when I make up their fruit and veggie mix is not add the eggs. I do add Soluvite D to their diet as well as we live in the Pacific Northwest and have limited sunshine during the winter.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Have you consider good quality full spectrum lights as well as an UV source? They don't help with vit D3 production but they do make them feel better (they see better which makes them eat better and the UV encourages production of serotonin -the happy hormone)

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett
Dropped four cockatiels off at their new home, nice young kid who really loves and takes good care of his birds. In half an hour someone will be coming to buy the six America parakeets. Two more cockatiels may be leaving tomorrow to go to live with a girl who did many years of 4-H and already has one of my chinchillas. Happy dance!

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
:iagree: Eggs are one of those foods I get puzzled why people recommend feeding so much especially in non-breeding birds. There are many suitable plant based proteins to feed too if you do need more protein in the diet as I don't like giving my birds animal based proteins/foods anyway.

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett
Just a very quick update as I have babies to feed and am then leaving to go and drop off a four of the birds. Since my last post I have found wonderful homes for 27 of the birds. All is well and though I can't say that I am getting my sanity back since I never had it in the first place (otherwise why would I have gotten myself into this). All the birds are doing very well and looking fantastic!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If you take the males out, who is feeding the females while they're sitting on eggs? :huh: They can become underconditioned this way.

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett
If you take the males out, who is feeding the females while they're sitting on eggs? :huh: They can become underconditioned this way.
Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about. So far I have only ever removed one male from the cage and that was because he was kicking all the eggs around like little footballs, addled every single egg.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about. So far I have only ever removed one male from the cage and that was because he was kicking all the eggs around like little footballs, addled every single egg.
When the female sits on eggs, the male feeds her. If you remove the male, the female will sit on the eggs but not go for food and get thin and possibly dehydrated. If she goes for food and water, the eggs will not be kept warm and will die.
I'm a little surprised you don't know this as a breeder.

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett
When the female sits on eggs, the male feeds her. If you remove the male, the female will sit on the eggs but not go for food and get thin and possibly dehydrated. If she goes for food and water, the eggs will not be kept warm and will die.
I'm a little surprised you don't know this as a breeder.
Every hen is different and you were not there, so you don't have all the details. She managed just fine without him.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Every hen is different and you were not there, so you don't have all the details. She managed just fine without him.
Well you said the birds were in bad shape. She can't do both - keep the eggs warm AND feed herself. So your priority is either to get the birds back in shape or have the eggs hatch. Seems like the latter was more important.

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett
Well you said the birds were in bad shape. She can't do both - keep the eggs warm AND feed herself. So your priority is either to get the birds back in shape or have the eggs hatch. Seems like the latter was more important.
Would you PLEASE stop making assumptions and trying to put me down, and look bad! You have no idea what you you are talking about! The hen that I am talking is one of my own and this happened before I got all the other birds! Quite frankly I feel you owe me an apology for falsely accusing me.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't think you should be breeding if you don't know the male takes care of the female while the female takes care of the eggs. A female could starve whether she was thin to begin with or not.
I'm sorry you don't already know this.