• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inherited way too many birds, I need to have my head examined!

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I don't think you should be breeding if you don't know the male takes care of the female while the female takes care of the eggs. A female could starve whether she was thin to begin with or not.
I'm sorry you don't already know this.
Yes, that's pretty basic info. I am aware of this even though I don't breed - I replace with fake eggs when someone lays.

Also, IME, male cockatiels take turns sitting on the eggs, allowing the female to have a little time to herself.

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett
I don't think you should be breeding if you don't know the male takes care of the female while the female takes care of the eggs. A female could starve whether she was thin to begin with or not.
I'm sorry you don't already know this.
Again, you weren't there. You don't know this hen and that she would come off the nest before this incident to grab a bite to eat and a drink. You also weren't there to hear her cries of distress when her mate would go into the nesting box, push her out of the way and kick all the eggs around like little footballs. I asked several long time reputable breeders what they would recommend and they all agreed with me that I needed to remove the male.The hen did just fine without him, but sadly he had addled all the eggs.

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I have to say I'm disappointed in the way some people are ganging up. Opinions have been voiced but it seems some are intent on not just voicing opinion and being done, but grinding a certain member into the ground.

Yes, males usually help the females, but it seems like this was a unique situation? I didn't realize the world was black and white and there is only one right answer to everything. :eek:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I have to say I'm disappointed in the way some people are ganging up. Opinions have been voiced but it seems some are intent on not just voicing opinion and being done, but grinding a certain member into the ground.
I notice that no one takes exception when thirty people in a row say the same thing, as long as no one takes exception to what is said. However, in other cases, if more than one person says something similar, it immediately becomes "ganging up."

Perhaps there should be a rule that no one is allowed to post anything similar to what anyone else in the thread has said?

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
The reason I feel its ganging up is because its now spreading across multiple threads. This one had been quiet for over a week and all of a sudden someone is picking about removing the one male causing issues when the other thread is being discussed? THAT is why I consider it ganging up - not because of the opposing views.

If taking the one male out was such an issue - why was it not brought up when this thread was actively being discussed? NO - it was something to nit pick about after you decided you didn't agree with this member and wanted to find something else to pick apart about her actions.

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett
The reason I feel its ganging up is because its now spreading across multiple threads. This one had been quiet for over a week and all of a sudden someone is picking about removing the one male causing issues when the other thread is being discussed? THAT is why I consider it ganging up - not because of the opposing views.

If taking the one male out was such an issue - why was it not brought up when this thread was actively being discussed? NO - it was something to nit pick about after you decided you didn't agree with this member and wanted to find something else to pick apart about her actions.
The amusing thing is that the situation had occurred before I got all the other birds and the other posters did not have all of the details.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Budgies and some other parrots have the hen sitting 24/7 and the male feeding her. But cockatiels usually have the hen sitting for 12 hours, coming out occasionally for food/potty breaks, and then the male does the same the other 12 hours of the day. Just to clear that up. ;)

GinnyK

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ginny
The amusing thing is that the situation had occurred before I got all the other birds and the other posters did not have all of the details.
Really??...............It doesn't appear so, according to your posts

A few days ago I received an email from a friend, her business (A petstore) is really struggling and she needed to let all of her breeding stock go. So I agreed to take the birds and now of course have way to many. Besides my own flock of English Budgies, I also now have big flock of about 16 cockatiels, 2 conures, 6 parrotlets and a flock of budgies and a few babies. I am on a big learning curve right now.

The cockatiel hens are a ratty looking bunch and several of the nesting boxes attached to the cage had clear eggs in them. I took all the cockbirds out and removed all the nesting boxes. I would like suggestions as to how to help these poor ladies get back into condition again?
I did the same with the Engish and American budgies, separated males from females and removed nest boxes. Luckily these birds have not been bred very much, I know this because I was the one who had picked up the birds from the breeder and they could have only had time for two clutches if that.
Lastly there are three pairs of parrotlets. They do not look to bad.
I separated them to totally avoid and chance of anything happening. Often when breeders breed budgies they are only together during the mating season and then put back into the male and female flocks for a rest. If they do miss their mate it is only for a short time and then they move on. I just had to remove a male from a cage because he kept going into the nesting box and kicking the eggs around, my poor little hen was very distraught and kept crying out. As soon as he was gone she settled right down and went back to incubating her eggs. He had never exhibited this kind of behavior with eggs before. He went from being a sensible adult to a bratty teenage boy.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse

I look at thread titles that show up on the first page of "New Posts", which is what I click on when I log onto the board. I miss a lot of threads that way, because this is an active board, and sometimes I go days or weeks or even months without logging on, but then, I also don't feel like looking through all of the forums on here, unless my life happens to be particularly boring at the time.

I'm sorry to burst the bubble you've constructed about my posting on this thread, but there it is.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Budgies and some other parrots have the hen sitting 24/7 and the male feeding her. But cockatiels usually have the hen sitting for 12 hours, coming out occasionally for food/potty breaks, and then the male does the same the other 12 hours of the day. Just to clear that up. ;)
Either way, it's a 2 bird job to hatch eggs and feed chicks and not have a parent suffering. Something a breeder would know, which I am not.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
That has been my observation of my tiels - that they share the egg sitting duties pretty equally. Thank you for confirming that my guys aren't aberrant. :p Actually, when Finnegan and Frisco started trying to raise clutches a coupe of years ago, it was (and continues to be) Frisco who worries me the most, because he's in his late twenties, and he's such a dedicated egg sitter.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Either way, it's a 2 bird job to hatch eggs and feed chicks and not have a parent suffering. Something a breeder would know, which I am not.
I think it means that it's even harder for a tiel hen to go it alone, since her workload is doubled from what nature designed.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I didn't read this thread until its relevance was brought to light in the other thread. It is background info.
By the OP's own post it was multiple males of the new group that were removed so not sure why she's changing her story now.
If I see someone neglecting a bird(s) (in this case by removing the males that would have fed the females or taken a turn on the nest so she could go eat), I will say something, whether it be the same day, a week later or whenever I happen to see the thread. I didn't realize there was a time limit on helpful information.

A real breeder would have known to remove the eggs to an incubator and then hand feed if one of the parents was not acting appropriately. Instead of leaving the female to try to hatch eggs and go hungry.

A real budgie breeder would know what a budgie is.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I notice that no one takes exception when thirty people in a row say the same thing, as long as no one takes exception to what is said. However, in other cases, if more than one person says something similar, it immediately becomes "ganging up."

Perhaps there should be a rule that no one is allowed to post anything similar to what anyone else in the thread has said?

Here's a novel idea - how about we each post what we actually think (toned down if necessary). If many have the same opinion we'll call it a majority! :laugh:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Here's a novel idea - how about we each post what we actually think (toned down if necessary). If many have the same opinion we'll call it a majority! :laugh:
That's a novel, but rather interesting idea. We could call it a "discussion" board. :p

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
I didn't read this thread until its relevance was brought to light in the other thread. It is background info.
By the OP's own post it was multiple males of the new group that were removed so not sure why she's changing her story now.
If I see someone neglecting a bird(s) (in this case by removing the males that would have fed the females or taken a turn on the nest so she could go eat), I will say something, whether it be the same day, a week later or whenever I happen to see the thread. I didn't realize there was a time limit on helpful information.

A real breeder would have known to remove the eggs to an incubator and then hand feed if one of the parents was not acting appropriately. Instead of leaving the female to try to hatch eggs and go hungry.

A real budgie breeder would know what a budgie is.
Actually (and I am not trying to put you down, I realize you were saying this out of concern for the birds but it begs clarification), you are wrong. Hens are perfectly capable of feeding themselves and raising the babies on their own without the male's help. They don't go hungry, they don't lose weight and the eggs don't get cold making the embryo die in the shell, either. Yes, most male birds would feed the hen while she is incubating but hens always get up in the morning and in the evening to eat, drink and, sometimes, they even take a bath (this depends on the species) before returning to the nest. You are 100% correct that the ideal situation is to have a mother that sits tight and a father that helps by feeding the female (and, in the case of tiels, even taking turns incubating them) and, later on, the babies, but nature is not as strict as all that, it always leaves a bit of leeway just in case there is an emergency, and many hens lose their mates for one reason or another and still incubate and raise the babies on their own. And, as long as the clutch is not huge and food is rich and nearby (and it's always rich and nearby in captivity), she can raise the hatchlings without a problem. It's a lot of work, but it's perfectly doable and, sometimes, as it was with this rogue male which was not behaving very fatherly, preferable to any other option (including putting the eggs in an incubator and hand-raising them from day one).

Having said that, tiels should not be breeding in the winter -but that's another issue for another thread.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Well I know of a macaw that got thin from sitting on her ball. I don't think she even laid any eggs but was trying to hatch the ball. She had no mate. The owner took the bottom out of the cage so there was nowhere to nest so she would eat more.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I know cockatiels can hatch and raise up to 3 chicks on their own without any ill effects, though it's not ideal and co-parenting the chicks is recommended for those situations. ;)

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
While I have never been in a situation where I have had a hen on eggs and the male could not take care of her I can agree with petiteoiseau that many hens will get off the nest at least twice a day to stretch, drink and feed themsleves, and yes I also have hens that will bathe too. All of my hens will come out at feed times and have a feed on their own and the male will feed them as well if she looks for it. The eggs don't go cold and and they hatch beautiful healthy chicks.

While it is never ideal for the male not to be part of the process it is not always going to be a disasterous thing either, I would reccomend the chicks be handraised though if this were the case as the male plays a huge role at fledging age.

Chinnychews

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Caroline Fawcett

Yes, males usually help the females, but it seems like this was a unique situation? I didn't realize the world was black and white and there is only one right answer to everything. :eek:
Well you said the birds were in bad shape. She can't do both - keep the eggs warm AND feed herself. So your priority is either to get the birds back in shape or have the eggs hatch. Seems like the latter was more important.

Who said this particular hen was in bad shape? This was one of my own hens that I have had for a while. She is beautiful, in great condition and healthy.