• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm now Dobbys Dad

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
IMO if they feel comfortable in their home they are on the floor. It's natural for them.
So that Dobby is on the floor already is great! :)
I both hate and love that they play on the floor. Hate it because I'm afraid of stepping on them.

Eloy did do that for testing if I was afraid of him or not in the beginning. And Akela is doing that for testing how hard she can bite while we play. (we beak wrestling a lot)
And in the morning when Akela have her preening time with mom, she hold one of my fingers in her mouth. That is for showing affection, and that is what I think Dobby is doing too. ♥
Awwww! Leto loves the floor! He loves me and our happy home :xflove:

I'm too scared too beak play with Leto :jawdrop1: I'm worried he'll chop my finger off :lol:

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Yes he is, even his chirps and noises are like a much smaller bird compared to what I'm used to with the other two. Never did get his hatch day and all that but I figure he's about Lurches age, 10 or so. Guess I should check the notebook and see if you put it in there somewhere.
Also he's like a 5 year old on speed, zooming everywhere and messing with everything. Last night he again went in on his own after sister talked nice to him and put in some treats. He wasn't having it so she sat down to let him and her rest a bit and she noticed he got on the door and went in to play and munch so she again praised him and shut the door so I think he's starting to know that is his home now.
Earlier he was out but with me or at least far enough away from the door and when he saw her
Come in he started whistling and doing sound affects and actually talking to her, probably in you gals voices as it sounded like a gals voice. It was pretty sweet even though he chooses to hang out with me and interact she must remind him of you guys and was very happy to see her:hug8:

Uh, well, I am the mom who can't even find the baby pics of her human child. Remember I said I focus hard on other things, even with humans? Sooo, I think my daughter was 15 when she got him, and I remember it was June-ish, already hot weather. He must have hatched a few months before that, so that was spring of 2009, I believe. Now the human child is 22, and it is spring, so Dob must be seven right about now. I forget my own birthday, so you have to excuse me. It must be some sort of learning disability lol.

He got rowdy and hormonal starting about 18 months, but only little by little. When he was 2 and 3 years old, he also began having the zoomies and chewing things like my fancy wooden knitting needles. That first year we harness trained him, and then when we moved the first time, we let it go for a few weeks. He decided he was not harness trained anymore and proved it by gnawing a couple harnesses in two and flying away every time we said the word.

His hardest years were 2, 3, and 4 years old.

He loves Talia best, torments me, and always loved all the young people, male and female, who came over. He first did his robot voice imitating one of the boy teenagers in the house. He also adores my mom, who looks a lot like your mom. She always gave him whole wheat bread through the bars of the cage.

Sorry I did not remember his hatch day or tell you his age!

Sincerely,

The Slacker Mom :oops:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Close enough, I was told Lurch was 4, then maybe almost 5 when I got him in 09. Nerd was just a guess, he could have been 50 when he finally left us but guessing at out 35. If Lurch finds his way home I'll certainly have my hands full.
Did he like to beak and nibble too because as you see above he latched gently onto my finger.
Nerd used to beak, grab, and nibble all the time, Lurch was kinda trying to beak and play occasionally but he would get too aggressive so I was very careful and it didn't happen often.

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Dob is very gentle, so if he's going to bite, it will be when you reach in the cage, or when he is in the mood for a rumble. If he is hanging out with you, he will probably want to hang on to your finger while you scritch under his chin and around his neck. with your thumb. He'll give you carpal tunnel syndrome lol. I think it is his most affectionate behavior, since he holds your finger in his mouth and lowers his head, but it is hard to do while you type with the other hand.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yeah, I was trying to scratch his chin and he started to grab me and it seemed he maybe wasn't sure he wanted to allow it so I said don't bite and he zipped away. I'm a lot more careful about things like that since Lurch and his original pissiness.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yes, he's fine, he's just different, but so was Lurch and Nerd before him as well. Each was, are, their own little souls so we adjust and learn each other with time. Nerd was Nerdle, Nerdlet, bonehead, klutz. Lurch was MR Lurch and I also called him grumpy boy. He was so outa shape and clipped too when he got here.
Dobby like you said is like a hyper 5 year old with vise grips who also happens to be very gentle and makes the coolest whistles and sound affects. All similar but totally different at the same time.

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm so glad, he really does have some funny sounds and loves to whistle and sing along with humans. I'll never get over hearing my cell phone, running for it, and having him watch me like I was a zoo creature. It took me over a year to catch on and by the time I did, that phone died. He learned the new ring on the new phone, too, but by that time I was wise to him.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Dartman sounds like he is settling in, hope that my newly adopted boy does that soon. he is still having major hissy fits even if I stand outside of the room. Dobby send some of your sweetness to Bebe, please and soon.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
He'll get there, you could have had Lurch who took so darned long to decide we were OK. Dobby is a testament to how well Momazonz daughter and Momazon raised and loved him.
He's very gentle and loving and even when I thought he wanted to bite it was just I want to hold your finger while you scratch and love me. Lurch it would have been your going to pay, for what I'm not sure... At least at first.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad, he really does have some funny sounds and loves to whistle and sing along with humans. I'll never get over hearing my cell phone, running for it, and having him watch me like I was a zoo creature. It took me over a year to catch on and by the time I did, that phone died. He learned the new ring on the new phone, too, but by that time I was wise to him.
OMG! That's too funny! What a trickster :pinklol2:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
And just now he gently grabbed my finger while on the back of my chair and made me scritch under his chin:heart: Thanks Momazon for cluing me in that it was a GOOD open beak grab rather then a I don't like that one.
I tried to make him let go eventually and he hung on gently till he almost fell off the chair back:hehe: So after a bit I offered my finger instead of my thumb and did a proper chin scritch which he really enjoyed. Yup, I can see carpel tunnel in my future, even though I've had it before in my scritching hand and wrist/elbow from work.
He finally noticed the little wood wafers on a string Jan sent me for Lurch when I won one of her raffles and he really chewed them all down. Going to have to go through all the parts and see what else I can make up to keep this beaver busy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I just had to look this post up, since I kept hearing about you and your new bird. So happy for everyone involved, and Dobby sounds like he's settle big in nicely.:laughing12:

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He likes you. He would never do that with anyone he didn't like. Every time I told him he was going bye-bye to be Terry's bird, he wagged. I really think he is suited to your personality!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well that is so cool, I figured he liked me but just making sure about things before I get bit or loose his trust. If I move fingers he grabs the next one and sometimes he starts rubbing his itchy spots on my thumb.
Nerd used to do that and would grab my fingers and move them where he wanted me to scratch, or I'd just hold up a thumb and he'd do the work himself.
Nerd and Lurch both loved having their eyelids gently rubbed and I think Dobby kinda likes it too.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm so glad for you and Dobby.
:hug8:
Sounds like he's settling in perfectly.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Glad that Dobby's settling in very nicely. Love reading all about your blossoming new relationship.