• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a Macaw, here is a pic!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt has been watching our house get boxed up and I’ve done about as much as I can in the main living area for now so today I started on my bedroom. My bedroom is where Burt has his out of cage time (only truely safe room for him here) so it was rather interesting to see his reaction to some of the bigger changes I made in there today. I have nearly finished emptying my wardrobe and a lot of it is still in boxes in my room, my ornaments and photos have been moved off my tiny shelf and some of his play things have been moved a few centimetres from where they normally are.
He spent the first ten minutes in my room like this...... B3AA3049-F9D1-4614-B316-0262C45B63CA.png

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Poor baby Burt. :hug8: We will be moving this month. I think we change things up around here often enough that Buzz wil handle the packing portion okay at least (I hope]. I'm curious how Burt does once you get to the new house. :)

I can't get overt how precious Burt is!

...I am trying to text while squinting under the small cockatoo perched on my nose....

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Change is tough... I still can't get my guys to shower like before we moved. LOL
That is a hard one. Showers are so important. How long have they been acclimating to the new surroundings?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Change is tough... I still can't get my guys to shower like before we moved. LOL
He doesn’t worry about me moving things like the big table we are always using (interacting with) but anything like an ornament or lesser used items are apparently something to really be concerned about.
I have tried to involve him as much as possible with all the packing and changes but I was not able to do that today.
I’m certainly expecting to see some changes and adjustments when we do actually move next week so I’m hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.
We have the keys to the new place in a few days and don’t have to be out of where we are till April 19 so I have some time to make part of his move as slowly as needed. I will be back and forth between the houses for a bit so he will have cages at both houses for a while.
It’s gonna be an adventure for me I think. Lol.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby Burt. :hug8: We will be moving this month. I think we change things up around here often enough that Buzz wil handle the packing portion okay at least (I hope]. I'm curious how Burt does once you get to the new house. :)
Best of luck to you too on your move! It's exciting and exhausting!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Or he may surprise you. My hardest hit was Korbel and Binky. The rest just took to the change. Even though Korbel was the most stressed he really seemed to enjoy all the new.

That is a hard one. Showers are so important. How long have they been acclimating to the new surroundings?

:laugh: About 2.5 months. No worries here... I'll get my macs in a row. :lol:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

I can't get overt how precious Burt is!

...I am trying to text while squinting under the small cockatoo perched on my nose....

He does so love playing Baby Burt when he is not sure of how to take something....I kinda love it too cos I get snuggles but I worry about how it must make him feel vulnerable.
I hope your packing and move goes smoothly for you, I am so over looking at and touching all the crap I have gathered. Might have a garage sale at the new house lol.
I’ll keep you updated with how he handles the move. I hope he will take it in his waddle (he doesn’t really have what you’d call a stride!) and not be too fussed about it.
Hahaha, I now have a picture in my head of you trying to text lol.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Aww Burt. Look at that sweet tucked in boy. Best of luck with your move!
Thanks Dona. I think I’m gonna need some luck with this move lol.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wishing both @Shezbug and @faislaq smooth transitions with the moving - it's tough, just try to remember to breathe!
(That was someone's advice to me my last move, and I was glad they reminded me!) :heart:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
anything like an ornament or lesser used items are apparently something to really be concerned about.

We have the keys to the new place in a few days and don’t have to be out of where we are till April 19 so I have some time to make part of his move as slowly as needed
I hadn't considered the small things. :unsure: I think I'll follow your lead and try to involve him in the process. He's less scared when he's on an arm having things explained to him. Thankfully, like y'all, we are getting our keys this week & don't have to be out of the apartment until nearly the end of April so we can take our time, too.

He's not a fan of the travel cage so I'm wondering if we should drop by the vet for a checkup and nail trim between here and the new place or just go straight there?

I'll get my macs in a row.
:laugh-bounce:

I hope he will take it in his waddle (he doesn’t really have what you’d call a stride!)

Hahaha, I now have a picture in my head of you trying to text lol.
And I have a picture of darling Burt's waddle. :xflove:

The cockatoo on the nose situation looked a bit like this:
0320180800a_HDR-1.jpg
It's an old pic but almost identical to this morning. :rolleyes:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Adorable pic. It's a pleasure to see the strong bond you have with Burt. ❤

Good luck both!
My advice will be that not everything must be done today. That is something I always have to remind me of when I have much to do.
Often is it the girls that have to pay the price (not anymore, I have learned my lesson) when I forgot about our routines because I think that other things are more important.
They live here and now and will not understand that if you do a lot of things today you will have more time with them tomorrow.
He's not a fan of the travel cage so I'm wondering if we should drop by the vet for a checkup and nail trim between here and the new place or just go straight there?
Why not. :) He will be tired after the vet visit? and that can be good too.
He will also think that any other place then the one he just visit will be perfect to live in. :D

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I hadn't considered the small things. :unsure: I think I'll follow your lead and try to involve him in the process. He's less scared when he's on an arm having things explained to him. Thankfully, like y'all, we are getting our keys this week & don't have to be out of the apartment until nearly the end of April so we can take our time, too.

:laugh-bounce:

And I have a picture of darling Burt's waddle. :xflove:

The cockatoo on the nose situation looked a bit like this:
View attachment 298588
It's an old pic but almost identical to this morning. :rolleyes:

Love the bird face pic :rofl:

I also think if he needs the vet about the time of your move and isn’t a fan of the travel cage it may be best to get it out of the way when he does have to actually go in it. Like @Eloy said.....he will be extra tired and love any place you take him more than the vet.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Eloy, I can only pack a few boxes each day which is probably good for Burt. I’m very limited in how much physical stuff I do....if I do too much I loose feeling in my lower body and can’t move my legs. Everything I do is now must be treated more like s marathon than a race which is why we have so long to move. The people buying our second house were happy to move in ASAP so we will aim for as early as possible to be out but we have more than enough time to make it a less stressful move for Burt, me and my neurotic dog who has been shaking and pacing every time a new box starts getting packed. He hates moving.....he seems to think I’m gonna leave him behind!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He hates moving.....he seems to think I’m gonna leave him behind!
Ooh no. So sad. I hope he soon will realize that his place always will be by your side. ♥
And I didn't know about your "physical handicap", so I hope you didn't find my advice rude now. That was not what I meant. :bighug:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ooh no. So sad. I hope he soon will realize that his place always will be by your side. ♥
And I didn't know about your "physical handicap", so I hope you didn't find my advice rude now. That was not what I meant. :bighug:
He knows he will never get left behind but he still likes to worry. He greets me like I’ve been away on a two month cruise when I just go out the front to check the mail lol. He just worries about everything that he doesn’t understand or like.
I certainly did not find your advice rude at all, I know you have a big heart and that you’re very thoughtful and kind so it never crossed my mind to be offended or upset. There would be no point to thinking you are rude as I know everything you write comes from a good place :)