• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a Macaw, here is a pic!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt likes to help me with my washing, although he throws more things on the floor than I’d like him to lol.
He also loves having afternoon naps on my bed.
The last pic is the closest I have managed to get the phone to him safely, any closer and he tries to kill the phone..... we always joke that he thinks our Apples are tastier than his!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
So handsome! And already helping with chores? :hehe:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Young little one. Under a year huh?
Yes he is just a wee baby, he hatched on 22 November 2017. You certainly know your macaws very well! Hopefully one day I will learn as much about them as you know.....fingers crossed.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So handsome! And already helping with chores? :hehe:
Helping is what he thinks he is doing.....hindering is what I feel he is doing lol. I love it so much when he is interested in what I am doing and decides to get involved :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Yes he is just a wee baby, he hatched on 22 November 2017. You certainly know your macaws very well! Hopefully one day I will learn as much about them as you know.....fingers crossed.

:pinklol:Oh @Macawnutz knows all about macaws. Maybe a little too much sometimes. (Nares!) :laughing4: You should read her threads sometimes. My, my what that sweet lady has been through with and for her birds. But we sure are grateful that she shares all of that wonderful knowledge with us. :yes3:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have read through some of @Macawnutz threads @faislaq. She certainly has been through a lot with her birds and I think it would be fair to say that everyone here is grateful for the knowledge she so willingly shares in the interest of helping others with their birds health, housing and behavior.
I for one have learnt an awful lot from just a few of her posts! :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Very kind of you both but I still learn something new everyday. :)

Babies are dolls and you have much you could be doing now to make life easier down the road.
-nails without restraint
-teaching meds with an eye dropper
-harness if going that route
-opening and closing wings by hand
-no fear of towels/carriers

Oh the list is endless. Stay on track with a healthy diet, keep even your junk food healthy. :D

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
The last pic is the closest I have managed to get the phone to him safely, any closer and he tries to kill the phone..... we always joke that he thinks our Apples are tastier than his!
What a cutie pie! Have you tried using an old broken phone to get him used to seeing it so he is desensitized to it? I would try to Introduce one new thing to my birds every day so that now it pretty much doesn't matter what they are around they don't freak out around new things!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Macawnutz Thank you for the tips and please feel free to bombard me with them.
I have been working on making sure I have those things covered and so far I have been able to get to the point where he now lets me touch his feet with no problems, yet to introduce him to a nail file or pair of clippers but I can fiddle with his toes and feet.
I have just got a brand new syringe to start with making sure he will accept it, I was hesitant to introduce a syringe too soon after him being weaned so I had held that off till this week coming. Will it be alright to give him a few mls of something like juice or pureed blueberry? I can not think of what else to put in the syringe other than water.
Harness is already being used with no issues, it is how I take him outside for sunshine and to get used to the big outside world.
I am now able to open his wings by hand, he will keep still while I inspect them all over then put them down when I let go of them. He will also let me open them one at a time and he is now also opening them and keeping them open when I ask him to. He will also allow me to put them down if he has them up.
The towels he is kind of ok with. He was doing really well with towels up until the first time he was toweled at the vet. He is a little wary of them now but is just starting to allow me to drape one over his back again without freaking out. I can fully cover him with my dressing gown, jackets, pillow cases and sometimes even the doona but he is a little wary of toweling material. He will even climb half up my jacket while I am wearing it till he finally decides he wont fit while I am in it.
He was fine with the big dog carrier which I have now returned to the breeder so he is using the Pak-O-Bird carrier and sometimes even gets annoyed at me for not getting him in there fast enough. He tries to help by leaning forward so we can get his tail over the perch then he leans back and starts feeling for the perch. He definitely has no issues with the carrier as we use it between three to five times (minimal) each day.
As for the junk food, I do not think we have any problems with that. I have been labeled the food nazi by more than a few people in my life. I do not use salt ever and I am not a fan of anything processed. I prefer whole foods and I also prefer them raw when possible, I have been accused of eating rabbit and bird food for years now. My junk food is plain fresh popped corn or plain nuts.

Please do give me lots of homework if there is anything else you think of and you have the time, everything I learn will surely make for a much healthier and happier life for Burt. :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hey @BirdManDan, I seem to just get him used to the phone and happy to ignore it and everything will be fine until I get a call or notification or anything that causes the screen to light up, the picture to move, or the phone to make sound. He is fine with it as long as it is not close, if it is close he just wants to chew on it hard. He will even try to land where ever I hide it away from him so he can chew it. I have shown him an old phone that does not work and he has no interest in it but the one I am using (which is new) he wants to kill.
It is almost like he knows I do not want him to have it so that makes him more desperate to get his beak on it.
Hmmm now I am thinking about it my phone case has glitter in it, maybe that is what is making him so interested in it?!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
.a real cutie. You want to watch Macawnutz - she will steal him if she gets a chance

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Such a cutie!