• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel bad for some of these birds out there

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I have a page on facebook and some of the messages I get I sure hope are jokes like this one 86BA95B0-8A63-414B-A40A-CB5043CE5D7E.jpeg
Ive been asked other questions to like they thought the spot on the back of the head on a budgie has to do with intelligence I don't know why I ever turned messages back on,on my page lol

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Yes, we can hope that is a joke. :( I belong to ONE of the parakeet groups there, and the things that some people say are over the top stupid. I recently asked the Admin if they could pin a post at the top of the page letting people know that budgies dishes will look full, but it's only empty hulls, and they could starve. They just replied that I was welcome to make a post about it. (Like people are going to see that forever???) UGH.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
At the very least it should be Mandatory that breeder and pet store owners, give care sheets of species specific, basic information on feeding and housing. Along with local Veterinary hospitals that treat birds.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Yes, we can hope that is a joke. :( I belong to ONE of the parakeet groups there, and the things that some people say are over the top stupid. I recently asked the Admin if they could pin a post at the top of the page letting people know that budgies dishes will look full, but it's only empty hulls, and they could starve. They just replied that I was welcome to make a post about it. (Like people are going to see that forever???) UGH.
this was my fb page for my birds I also have a breeders group and im also a moderator in another breeding group some of these admins dont care about the birds just how many people are in their group i tend to stay out of groups unless its my own lol i cant stand the admins in most groups

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I get so very depressed when I see things like this. I'm going to tell myself it is somebody's warped sense of humor and they aren't really treating a living creature this way. Please educate them @Budgiebonkers , give me some hope.
im not the nicest person out there but i did tell them the cage was to small for any bird

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:blink:

I appreciate your patience :sadhug2: Recently, I came across a post in one of my FB groups where a person stated you can prevent your senegal parrot's eyes from turning yellow, and thus preserving their baby greys, by never letting the bird have sunlight :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have almost quit giving advice in FB groups. People ignore what I say - especially about treating for mites or parasites. Drives me nuts. They ask but don’t want to hear the answer.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I joined this forum because a friend was on it and recommended it. She was correct it is the best forum I have ever found. And that includes Sally Blanchard's old forum which I joined right at it's beginning. I got banned from her forum by her for disagreeing with her on some issues. She also hated I bought some things for my birds from Drs. Foster and Smith website which she did not like because they provided some things she felt were harmful (like sand perches for nail trimming).

I am not big on social media sites and this is about the only one I frequent. If someone asks me about bird care, I answer, but like you said, you can't make them correct their poor care.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
:blink:

I appreciate your patience :sadhug2: Recently, I came across a post in one of my FB groups where a person stated you can prevent your senegal parrot's eyes from turning yellow, and thus preserving their baby greys, by never letting the bird have sunlight :(

That's barbaric...

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I’ve actually been ridiculed by bird stores for keeping my parrotlets in flight cages...I bet they’d approve of that miserable cage for my fids. :( I’ve felt embarrassed to tell people what cages I use even though I’m confident I’m doing it right!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
When you are obviously a bird fancier and have had birds as pets for a long time (I am) I understand how maybe thoughts have changed about their care through the years, but being a bird fancier it just irks me to no end when you hear the most uninformed of questions from people thinking that budgies in particular are throw away pets and "oh well" I'll just get another. These people are incedulous when I inform them that budgies can have the intelligence of a 4 year old...and even if they didn't would you put a dog in a carrier and leave him there? A cat?? Tame a budgie and tell me that they are not worthy of your respect.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Um what? @Hjarta5

That’s so disturbing...

Definitely not a fan of Facebook groups half the time, though they’re still nice to read about others birds...

That's barbaric...
The internet is a wondrous and terrible thing. Im usually so conflicted about these bird groups and forums. On the one hand, I think its good people can help and share their experiences with one another, but on the other, bad advice spreads so lightning fast. How do you weed out the trolls from those genuinely wanting to know what would be best for their birds?

For this particular FB post, a number of people responded to this person with arguments about poor health, the lack of Vitamin D, and the general cruelty that it would impose. However, the original poster then provided that, "I meant direct sunlight" as if that clarified the good intentions of his original statement. I didnt think he was joking or just trolling everyone; it seemed like he was trying to be helpful :sad1:

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I really hope that pic you posted isn't serious :(

I have to say, although there can be lots of crap on the internet I'm so grateful I stumbled on this forum! Being inexperienced, there can be a lot of misleading info out there and being able to read posts and ask questions means my little bird can have a happier life.