• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel bad for some of these birds out there

JennyM.

Meeting neighbors
I don’t understand why people jokingly post stuff like that about their pets. It’s like your asking for an onslaught of negative comments and if your that stupid to have birds in that that tiny cage in the first place, you don’t need pets. That looks kinda like a bird cage I have as a decoration.

As far as FB groups go I did join one for Galah owners and it’s been nothing but helpful and nice. There’s also a cockatoo one that’s been great too.

Last edited:

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
i got another one thats desperate to breed just to witness the process (face palm) thats not a reason to be breeding they wanna get another female thats already in condition to add to the pair they already have as the hens to young

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
i got another one thats desperate to breed just to witness the process (face palm) thats not a reason to be breeding they wanna get another female thats already in condition to add to the pair they already have as the hens to young
I run into these a lot. They buy the birds, throw them in a cage, and message "I just got these birds, they've been here 2 days, why aren't they breeding?"

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I run into these a lot. They buy the birds, throw them in a cage, and message "I just got these birds, they've been here 2 days, why aren't they breeding?"
this person had them together for 2 months and wants to know why they aren't breeding and wants to just get another to hurry up the process

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:sorrow::sorrow::sorrow:

I follow a senegal rescue located in AZ, and they recently posted about a budgie that they took into their care but that, after consulting with their vet, they believed that the budgie should be euthanized. The budgie came from an amateur "breeder." I'll link the full FB below but I thought the following statement was on point regarding people's lax attitude about, not just birds, but animals.

His splay legs were caused by the lack of substrate in his nest box by a very young woman that didn't know any better. She was attempting to breed birds to earn money for her family. Her lack of experience and knowledge cost this bird his life in the end. She has agreed to no longer breed birds, or any other animals for profit. She was teachable. I hope this message will teach others too.

Today was a very sad and frustrating day. I had high hopes for this little one, but sadly his condition could not be overcome. No matter how much money we would have spent to try to help this little guy, in the end there would be no guarantee that he'd have functioning limbs. After an exam Dr. Driggers determined that Scooter has both Rickets and Osteomalacia. Here is a quote for the Merek's manual; "Osteomalacia has a pathogenesis similar to that of rickets but is seen in mature bones and associated with disruption of normal bone remodeling. Because bones mature at different rates, both rickets and osteomalacia can be seen in the same animal. Osteomalacia is characterized by an accumulation of excessive unmineralized osteoid on trabecular surfaces."If this bird had received treatment prior to the bones becoming more mature, it is quite possible that the splay legs could have been corrected very easily. But, because he was already three months old, the window of opportunity was closed. The maturing bones were twisted, and the ligaments were misplaced. Because all he could do was "scoot" around on his belly, he was unable to perch and he had multiple bruises on his abdomen and legs, and sores on his ankles too. He was in pain! Poor little guy just didn't have a chance. His quality of life was very poor and he was destined to be in continual pain throughout his life. We made the decision today to allow him to peacefully pass from this life into the next. He will have a final resting place in our Memorial Garden.His splay legs were caused by the lack of substrate in his nest box by a very young woman that didn't know any better. She was attempting to breed birds to earn money for her family. Her lack of experience and knowledge cost this bird his life in the end. She has agreed to no longer breed birds, or any other animals for profit. She was teachable. I hope this message will teach others too.RIP Sweet little Scooter. <3

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:nocomment:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
this person had them together for 2 months and wants to know why they aren't breeding and wants to just get another to hurry up the process
Yes, I understand. For one thing, the days are getting shorter — it’s not breeding season.

I can’t stand people who swap them around because they aren’t breeding atm. That’s a “thing”, not a bird/friend/pet.

His splay legs were caused by the lack of substrate in his nest box by a very young woman that didn't know any better. She was attempting to breed birds to earn money for her family. Her lack of experience and knowledge cost this bird his life in the end. She has agreed to no longer breed birds, or any other animals for profit. She was teachable. I hope this message will teach others too.

Wow. And there are soooo many more whose lack of experience & knowledge cost birds their lives...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Hjarta5 - I can't help but wonder, if Scooter had her wings, if there was any possibility that she could have lived a happy life. She would have needed, at minimum, a long flight cage or chinchilla cage with padded platform style perches and ladders to get around. Wings to help provide mobility. Shame that he life was cut short due to an inexperienced person. :(

I'm in some groups as well... not budgie groups, but other ones. The size cages that are often recommended? UGH! Horrible, IMO. Cages that I wouldn't even house a budgie in, people are putting large conures in! And of course, the advice is often horrible due to lack of knowledge... and even when you share it, very few people will listen because it's not "mainstream" advice... or it doesn't fit with how they train other animals, not that I believe that other animals should be trained in that manner either....

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
@Hjarta5 - I can't help but wonder, if Scooter had her wings, if there was any possibility that she could have lived a happy life. She would have needed, at minimum, a long flight cage or chinchilla cage with padded platform style perches and ladders to get around. Wings to help provide mobility. Shame that he life was cut short due to an inexperienced person. :(

I'm in some groups as well... not budgie groups, but other ones. The size cages that are often recommended? UGH! Horrible, IMO. Cages that I wouldn't even house a budgie in, people are putting large conures in! And of course, the advice is often horrible due to lack of knowledge... and even when you share it, very few people will listen because it's not "mainstream" advice... or it doesn't fit with how they train other animals, not that I believe that other animals should be trained in that manner either....
i was thinking that to, why would one clip a birds wings when it has leg issues

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My opinion is simple. Posts like the one in @Budgiebonkers post are deliberately posted to elicit responses. More responses = better rankings for the group.
Most of the time.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have a page on facebook and some of the messages I get I sure hope are jokes like this one View attachment 316835
Ive been asked other questions to like they thought the spot on the back of the head on a budgie has to do with intelligence I don't know why I ever turned messages back on,on my page lol

I need a cage that size to put a human in... I know of a couple dummies that could fit in there.
I just hate when I see birds in tiny cages and no room to move or play.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Last edited:

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
How many responses did that get? It was probably sent through another group and if you replied would have increased THEIR message (responses) count. How many others were sent this same message?
this wasnt posted in a group it was a dm on my page not group the only response after that was thanks after i answered

BeachComberNC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Morgan
Oh wow so glad I never got into Facebook. Although it seems the FB marketplace might have birds to rehome I just can’t bring myself to sign up again!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I joined a toy making group on facebook a while back but the admin were morons and so I left. I think I´m a member of a different toy making group now, however I don´t check it. I´m rarely on facebook anyway.

I like AA, I don´t even consider joining any bird keeping groups on facebook, too many trolls and noone keeping everyone in line.

@Beasley everyone who has seen my cages in my living room look at them open mouthed - and Sydney is about to get a bigger cage. It doesn´t bother me though because they aren´t bird people so they just don´t know how much space a bird needs. My boyfriends uncle came round for the first time the other week and he wasn´t shocked by the size at all. He has a bird room so it´s the norm for him :)

:blink:

Recently, I came across a post in one of my FB groups where a person stated you can prevent your senegal parrot's eyes from turning yellow, and thus preserving their baby greys, by never letting the bird have sunlight :(

Why do admins not remove stuff like that? Ugh, so sad. I can´t imagine not allowing any animal access to sunlight. It´s cruelty.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Oh wow so glad I never got into Facebook. Although it seems the FB marketplace might have birds to rehome I just can’t bring myself to sign up again!
Surely, thanks to PETA, animal sales are *NOT* allowed. Many groups have been shut down, many had to change their names and descriptions, and it's now "pm me" if you want to know more info. No animals on marketplace. This all started after PETA became a shareholder of FB...

Facebook Has a New Shareholder: PETA | PETA

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Surely, thanks to PETA, animal sales are *NOT* allowed. Many groups have been shut down, many had to change their names and descriptions, and it's now "pm me" if you want to know more info. No animals on marketplace. This all started after PETA became a shareholder of FB...

Facebook Has a New Shareholder: PETA | PETA

And honestly, it really sucks. Many finch people spread across the US relied on the FB groups to trade breeding stock, esp for the lesser known finches. It's been sort of a nightmare. I guess they don't care (PETA I mean) whether some species cease to exist.