• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am nutz to consider getting a dog when I have an Eclectus?

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Hello Fellow Forumees,

We love our Eclectus Sophie and have had her for almost 9 years. She is very sweet but rather timid: She hates to be outside so we don't put her through that (although I am sure we could work with her on it, but there never seemed to be a need). If she looks outside (even when in the safety of her cage) and sees an "oh so terrifying" rabbit or "extremely ferocious" deer in the yard, she screams and either flies down the hall or hides in a corner, under furniture etc. until we hold her and assure her "it's ok". She has even learned how to say "it's ok" although these critter sightings don't happen to often.

So with that said, am I nuts to be considering getting a dog? We are looking at a Mini Goldendoodle and the breeder has other animals such as cats and even a cockatoo. So the dogs learn as they grow that other animals aren't a bid deal. My concern is with the bird more so than the dog.

I have read to keep the dog on a leash and the bird in the cage when first introducing and also let the bird see me holding and interacting with the dog. I would also keep the dog in a separate room at bed time (this won't be an issue as our Sophie has her very own bedroom and lets us know at 8PM that it is time to go night night).

My fear is bringing the dog into the home (even in a crate) and have our fraidy-bird bang against the cage in fright and either kill or injure herself. I don't know if this would happen, but it is a fear of mine.

I am going to talk to my Avian Vet (who IMO is the Rock Star of Avian Vets) and also my local "bird-guy" who is an expert and also owns 26 birds.

I am open to advice and will not get a dog if it would be hard on the bird.

Thanks everyone!

JFish

Attachments

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
I would say bad idea. With Sophie being a scaredy pie it's going to freak her out all the time, with every new bark, scratch at the door, whine, clang of dog bowl, exited leaping and so on, and the dog will freak out in turn, lose it's mind and hunter instinct will kick in.

Its not about how well trained your dog will be, we had a championship winning herding dog, these dogs are the best trained dogs in the world. My mother let her out of the car so she could go into the house, she saw a cat across the other side of the road, ran out and got hit by a car.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Can you have a friend bring over a very calm obedient dog, one's that's smaller also may help.

If she can slowly get acclimated to a visiting dog, then I'd say with careful choosing, she might be OK.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Not all dog's have high hunt drive. Yes, you'd have to get a pup with very low drive if you do decide she might be OK.

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Thank you learnincurve and macawpower58! I appreciate and value both of your opinions! I like the idea of bringing a friend's dog over; the only issue there is as I think of my dog owner friends, one has a beagle and the other has a high-strung mutt. Not a good barometer. I may ask the breeder if I could not commit until I see how the pup and bird interact. But I doubt she'll allow that.
The breed I am thinking of is Mini-Goldendoodle.

Thanks again!

JFish

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Perhaps acclimate her to the conditions of living with a dog by playing YouTube videos of dogs barking and playing. If you know anyone with a calm dog it would be a good idea to introduce her.

Good luck!

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
I hate to sound harsh but there is no such breed. It's a mini poodle and a golden retriever cross breed, or in other terms a gun dog, gun dog cross breed. I've been racking my brains and searching for a breed of dog which might be appropriate but can't think of any that wouldn't go for a freaking out bird. If she were more chilled out then I could think of a couple but the reality of your situation is bird or dog pick one. You could get a dog but you would have to either lock it or the bird up and that's not fair on either.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I hate to sound harsh but there is no such breed. It's a mini poodle and a golden retriever cross breed, or in other terms a gun dog, gun dog cross breed.
I was thinking the same thing. Add on top of that the whole curiosity and "playfulness" of a puppy (golden retrievers are bred to retrieve birds), it may not be the best idea.

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Thank you for the advice everyone! I must say that Sophie chills all day--it's only when she sees an animal in the yard the she gets upset. She goes downstairs to the man cave with me for an hour at a time. She sits calmly on my shoulder and hears video game noises (gun shots, creatures etc.) and is fine with that and even preens during this; so maybe I over-exaggerated.

I am waiting for my Avian Vet to call me back and see what he has to say. Another idea I had is ask the breeder if I would be allowed to take the pup home for an hour or two up to a few days to see how they interact. I doubt the breeder will agree to this, but it's worth trying.

My first concern is my Sophie as she has been with us for many years now and has been a perfect pet (except for some excessive egg laying now and then which we have learned to control).

Thanks again,

JFish

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My freind had, and I say had, a male eclectus,,, had the bird 17 years,, got a dog, the bird destroyed himself over stress and she couldn't fix it. Wouldn't give up the dog, had to put the bird down because of his mutilation of himself. She regrets it. Think it over very carefully.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sophie is a special girl, with special phobias, and were it me I would not risk her well being for a second. A puppy with all of it's silliness would be especially stressful to a bird like Sophie.

Could you tolerate watching Sophie destroy herself bite by bite.

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Thank you Birdbabe and Hankmacaw. It would sicken me to see that happen to Sophie. I work from home a lot during the week and we spend much time together.
I think I am going to have a friend bring over his dog and see how Sophie reacts. I am guessing it won't be good. She may surprise me, but I know her very well and am thinking this may not work after all.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
I would definitely not get anything large. If Sophie is smart she will eventually figure out that the 15 pound dog on the ground is not capable of getting her (assuming she's flighted.) And you would have to take it very slowly, but I think it could be done. If bird owners can divide their time between two birds that hate each other and can't be out at the same time, I think it can successfully be done with a small dog, as well. If it doesn't, however, will you be prepared to rehome the dog to a good home? That can be painful for you and the pup. :(

ETA - one more thing. Golden doodles are notorious for growing larger than the breeder says. Because of the genetics, even if the parents are both small, you can still end up with the outlier large golden doodle. (And getting the smallest puppy in the litter is not necessarily an indication of future size, either.)

I would consider adopting a small, older dog whose personality is more clearly established if you decide to proceed.

Last edited:

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Thank you Bird_lover6!

That is a good analogy regarding two birds. As for the goldendoodle, I will be meeting the breeder and the parents of the litter (the mother is pregnant now) and that should give me an indication of size. I am waiting to talk to my Avian Vet and my resident bird expert before I make any decisions.

The bird is my first priority and I don't want to do anything that will effect her quality of life. She and I are very close.

This may be another one of my half-baked ideas!

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
I think I added that last paragraph to my post (edited) while you were typing. Just wanted to let you know. :)

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Thanks again - I did see that last paragraph and that makes sense! However, if I did get a dog, he and I would go to training classes together and I would train him. I'd rather do that then have an older dog which is why I may scrap the whole idea altogether. It would have been different if I had the dog first and then Sophie came into the picture as a baby.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I think it's possible but I would take your time with it and not rush it. If you decide not now know that doesn't mean no forever.

Zane my M2 use to be terrify of dogs. Now he'll boss my dog around. Luckily the two dogs he has been around were/are very bird friendly. Even when he would freak out the dogs stayed calm.

In the beginning he'd bail on you if the dog ever got close. He try to fly but because he shredded his wing feathers he could never get far. It slowly changed when he realized the dogs never attacked him And us staying calm when the dog was around helped too. Now the dog isn't allow on the couch without his say so.

I do believe there are bird friendly dogs. But as good as my dog is I don't trust him 100%. He much more likely to hurt Zane by accident rather by attacking him. So I take precautions with that. My dog is amazing with my birds thou. So if done the right I believe birds and dogs can happily live together. Just my 2 cents

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I think having visits like previously mentioned is the best way to go ...that way you can determine how she will react to a dog in her house ...start wit very short visits maybe with just outside ones first let her get use to a dog in the yard then slowly bring the dog into the house ...a very calm dog ...one that will pretty much just walk around for the first lil while ...I would do this for about a month or so if she is not freaking out before bringing home a happy bouncing puppy :)