• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am nutz to consider getting a dog when I have an Eclectus?

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
Some dogs with some birds are perfectly ok provided the bird is not out at the same time as the bird. Very very few dogs are ok with a bird out of the cage and those that are have owners with years of experience with both, and who have got lucky. I am very worried about any dog with this bird. Commands like stay, drop it, and leave are as useless as a chocolate teapot when a normal dog is going for a live animal. This isn't puppy class levels of training, this is police dog levels of training and only works with a select number of breeds and carefully selected pups. You would have to keep them in separate rooms when the bird is out and only allow the dog in the same room as bird when she is in her cage and both are being supervised. Then you have to ask yourself if it is if fair to keep the dog locked up whole the bird is out and how being caged far more then she is used to would effect her. You made a commitment and choice when you got her, is it really fair to let her quality of life drop because you now decide you want a puppy?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I think temperament is the most important thing. Training is definitely important but with certain breeds or certain dogs there are some things you won't be able to train out of them. @jfish930 has seem to have found some really mellow dogs. It sounds like a good match to me. That said that said my best advice is still take your time with it. Maybe not this litter of puppies but maybe the next one. But it does sound like you're taking all the right steps. :) Please let us know how things are going

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
One thing I will say. If your parrot is used to being out all day, then a dog is not for you.

No dog is 100% safe around a loose bird.

Marshall

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marshall
I have a sun conure and my GF has two small Yorkies. I may have one of the weirest birds ever but they actually play together. For instance the dogs have these small toys they fetch and play with and if Phoenix (my sun) sees me playing with the dogs toys she will charge right in and take the toys away from the dogs. It's the actually rather amusing to watch this little bird punk out two dogs but it happens all the time. I've even come home to find the three of them sleeping together in a dog pile on the floor. The problem I see with your situation is that the bird is scared whereas my situation is the exact opposite.

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Thanks for the help everyone! One of the first considerations I made is that I do NOT want my bird's quality of life to change. All my friends (and my wife) say I spoil her and that may be true; but she doesn't act the least bit spoiled. She is extremely well-behaved. When I mean spoiled, she knows that sometime around 2 or 3 PM is apple-walnut time, so she sits on her playtop bowl to make sure I know it's time (for a small spoonful of chopped walnuts and an apple slice). She knows that if I come in her room to wake her before 8AM, she won't step up to come out for the day (but 8:15 is fine). She points her body down the hall towards her bedroom anywhere between 8-830 PM to let me know it's bedtime. (I have my wife put her to bed each night so they can bond too).

I ramble on as such, because I know my bird and am "in-tune" with this creature. Even though her cage door is open the 3 out of 5 (or so) work days that I am home, at least half the time she is just hanging out inside. Although I pick her up often, half the time she just wants to be left alone and I do so. I work in the same room she is in all day long, and she is either on my shoulder, on her playtop, in her cage or often on the top of her door. All out of the way of a dog. As I mentioned, she only flies once a month if so due to a scare (rabbit, deer) outside. Other than that, she waits to be picked up or will do the "eclectus seizure fit" until I pick her up. I can't see that why during this time. which is a majority of my/her day, I cant have her out with me and a puppy in the room while I am there supervising. Of course this won't be until my wife and I integrate them to make sure she isn't scared and we would take it slowly.

Every night she spends an hour or so in the Man Cave with me, where I do my hobbies and she contentedly chirps and clucks while on my shoulder the whole time (she will run down to my hand really fast to tell me if she "has to go", which I find very cute). That will still be our special time. If pup wants to venture downstairs, he can join us, but she will be on my shoulder with first dibs. I figure that will be the time for pup and my wife to bond together upstairs or take a walk, etc.

When I spoke with my "bird guy" who my Avian Vet says is a "master of bird behavior", I expected him to yell at me about considering a dog. My bird guy owns 26 birds as well as owns a bird only pet shop which is where he bred my parrot and hand-fed her until I could take her home. (Incidentally, Sophie stays there when we take our vacations and is one of the few birds that he just leaves on a perch out in front of the register so customers can pick her up etc. She is very gentle, never bites and he says she is "good for business" and I like the fact that she is getting attention while we are away). He advised that Sophie is afraid of the rabbits in the yard because she doesn't know what they are; he seems to think she is very smart and will adjust quickly once she sees us interact with the puppy (who will be smaller than a football when we bring him home) and if we take it slow. By slow, I am thinking first step will be that I stand by Sophie's cage with her door closed while wife holds the leashed pup in her arms about 10-15 feet. If Sophie freaks out, then my wife and dog will leave the room and try it again later, etc. etc. I am thinking another step will be to have the crated dog put about 10 feet from her cage and see how she reacts. Then 5 feet etc.

I haven't made any final decision yet, but so far the only fear I have is if the bird flies down the hall and the dog goes after her. I do not plan on having the bird in the cage when dog is out etc. If you had seen the 4 breeder dogs, you may understand. I have never seen or have spent time with such mellow easy-going dogs. And the breeder humans say they have a cat and a cockatoo and their dogs could care less (I haven't met the cockatoo but have seen his photos).

I will keep everyone posted and truly do appreciate the feedback and am absorbing all of it, not just what I want to hear. In the mean time, here is a photo of me working from home while my secretary sleeps on my shoulders. The work ethic of these young "people" today.......... Sophie sleeping.JPG

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The very first time Sophie flies, you may have to intervene. The puppy chase instinct is strong. However, it you do some no chase training before first flight happens, you might not even have trouble. I would not trust a puppy at all until some of the puppy craziness if over. Once he's several months old and you start to see that he's catching on to some rules and not being outrageously annoying over everything, you can try a test run where maybe you give the bird a toss and let her flutter around with the puppy leashed and see how he does. I'm always super careful and only have my calmest birds out with a new puppy and have to enforce rules like, puppy isn't allowed on me and I won't pet the puppy if the bird is sitting on me first. That also helps reinforce birds as a no touch.

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Killian 1.jpg Since everyone was so kind and helpful with their advice, I just wanted to send out an update. We did get a mini-golden doodle and brought him home at 8 weeks old. We picked the sweetest, mellowest of the litter. My avian vet advised that if we take it slow Sophie will be fine. I expected my resident bird expert to give me h*ll when I told him I was thinking of getting a dog but he was fine too. They both said take it slow. Both the vet and my bird guy said that she is a smart bird and when she sees my wife and I interacting with the dog, she will know it is ok. I know me Sophie and was thinking it wouldn't be that easy.

As you know, I was very concerned about my Sophie and was worried about her reaction. Most of all, I was worried about her quality of life as she spends most of her days either on my shoulder or hanging out on top of her cage. She pretty much always had free rein of the house. I expected her to not want to leave her cage for a couple of days and even cower in fear. I was wrong.

The minute we got home, my wife was holding the puppy and I was just going to stand by Sophie's cage, but she came out right away and even got on my shoulder. The first day, she let out one loud shriek (to let the pup know who's boss) and that was it. Then she began her favorite activity--eating! Now they hang out in the same room; the pup is somewhat hesitant around the bird and the bird could care less. I am only letting them in the same room when there is supervision.

Thanks again for all the help! It worked out great!

Joel

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Glad you all are doing well. I think the most important individual in a dog and bird situation is the owner. We have three dogs, a chia mix, a boxer/bull mastiff mix-something-or-other, and a lab mix. Two budgies are almost always out, and they don't bother the caged canary even when I set the cage on the floor to clean. No problems. They don't bother the back yard chickens either.

Your doodle is SO cute!!

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Super cute pup!! I've been following this thread to see how it played out. You took careful consideration and I hope things go smoothly! At our house, we have the 3 ekkies and 2 BCCs along with our 3 dogs and almost always a foster dog in the mix. We have fostered for around 10 years - somewhere around 45 fosters dogs - and have had very few scary moments with dogs and birds. But we've been vigilant and know that 2 of our dogs, who are terrier mixes, are way too interested in the birds so birds come out to play when they go outside or to their kennels, etc. Our 3rd terrier could care less about the birds. Most of our fosters get kenneled while birds are out to be safe and it helps with their training anyway.

As Distaff mentioned above, the most important part of the equation is the human. Stay aware and keep a close eye out, be prepared to kennel train the puppy. In all reality it's hard to tell how he will react to Sophie's startled flights if and when that happens and other circumstances until you're in the middle of it and then it can be heart-stopping! I would suggest keeping the puppy on a leash so you can more easily stop him by stepping on it if he were to go running after Sophie... until you get to know him better. If you're concerned about doing that with his collar, use a harness instead.

I think y'all will do fine! Let us know how it goes!!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
My beloved dog died last year after 21 years of valued friendship, she never hurt any other animal because we learned her that its not okay. My neighbours on the other hand, i dont even trust their dogs with myself, let alone my parrot!

Its all about you beeing consequent, steadfast and loving. Never learn your dog to fear you, learn him to respect you. I am convinced that a dog who fears you does "sneaky things" while a dog who respects you, does things in the open, where you can correct him :)

I think dogs and birds can go together, as long as you realise YOU are the pack leader. YOU are in control, and YOU are respected by all those that make up your pack, be it birds, dogs or other people.

As for myself, i will never more get a dog. My dog and i where a team, and i couldn't possibly dream of ever experience such friendship, but if you can, then you should not rob yourself of a friendship with a good dog :)

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Update? How's it going with the puppy? What does Sophie think about him?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The puppy is very cute and I hope things are going well with her and that Sophie is OK with the new furry family member. What is the pup's name?

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Hello Ekkieluv and all who have replied to this thread lately! Thank you for all of your support and advice. I am still so very surprised at how my Sophie (eclectus) has reacted to Killian (our now 9 week old mini golden doodle). As I had mentioned, the first minute we brought Killian home, I had my wife hold him while I went to Sophie's cage. I was just going to comfort her and expected her not to want to come out for a couple of days; that in itself made me feel bad because she is always out when i am home, but she doesn't fly/roam around. She just hangs out on her cage and occassionally begs for us to pick her up; about once every hour or so :)

Anyway as I had mentioned Sophie came out right away and still could care less about the dog. She did almost give me a heart attack as just a day or two ago she decided to fly down onto the floor to hide beneath the china cupbaord (her favorite place--which is also forbidden because she is eating away the wood under the china cupboard). When this happened I yelled "No" at the dog and he just froze in place and didn't move a muscle until I picked Sophie up (and he still just sat there in place).

I am not sure if the dog (Killian) froze in place because he's a puppy or because I yelled out with a surprised "No!". But since he is a puppy, I am telling him "No" all day long and he always listens (but only to find trouble elsewhere such as chewing a slipper etc.), however I never yell "No" and don't yell at him at all. So maybe I will use that tactic if we have any more "moments" such as those. The only interest the dog has shown in regards to the bird is this: I have a wood plank under the door of Sophie's cage and put newspaper on it since Sophie likes to sit on her door and let her poop bombs drop on the paper below. The dog has shown great interest in this poop paper and has tried to sniff and maybe even eat it but I haven't let him get that far. He could care less about the bird and has no interest in her at all. It's as if they ignore each other.

On a funny note, Sophie is usually pretty quiet (she is now letting out some contented chirps) but she did let out a very loud screech within a day or so of the new dog being here. The dog was scared to death and Sophie is now done with her screaming. Not sure if she was declaring dominance or what but I think she was pleased with the effect!

I used to be able to take a shower, etc. and leave Sophie out of her cage; she has always been good that way. Now if I leave the room with the two of them alone, I always am sure to put her in the cage until I return. She doesn't seem to mind at all.

One last thing, I am so much prouder of Sophie and even love her more (if that's possible) since we got the puppy. Sophie is so very easy to take care of and has such an easygoing disposition; the puppy of course is non stop and involves endless Pup.JPG Pup.JPG Pup.JPG patience (especially in regards to the accidents he has had in the house) and training.

Below is a photo of my wife with the two of them; not the best shot, but it shows that they can tolerate each other.

Thanks again everyone!

Jfish930 (Joel)

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Lovely photo. Cutest puppy ever.
I use names with my dogs: "Elsa, NO," or "Tiki, NO," or "Bevy, NO," and the other two who have not been addressed, will ignore it. The pup will figure it out. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm glad that worked out for you. I have a slightly different story. I got my puppy in the spring. Didn't think tooooo much about it, though I did ask the breeder how she thought it would go...I have 2 other dogs and they ignore the birds.
The new puppy is a cocker, and she will NOT stop chasing birds even with consistent "NO bird" and giving a tug on her leash. She's 9 months old now. So I've sent her away to boot camp.
I keep her out of the bird room when I go in there and also when birds are out of cages. However there are times when a finch escapes and there's my Pionus who is used to his door being open. She's got to learn to obey. :huh:

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Good advice Distaff! Finchly I am sorry hear of your difficult situation.

We got lucky with a wonderful couple who breed mini-golden doodles and has been breeding dogs for many years.
Our pup was exposed to their 2 cats as well as their cockatoo! Maybe that helped?

My Sophie bird is still very spoiled (and I don't mind at all). She has her very own bedroom and "asks" (by using her entire body as a pointer to point down the hall towards her bedroom) to be put to bed every night between 8 and 830.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Happy to hear the good update! Yeah, puppies are a ton of work. I stick with rescues that are out of the puppy stage!!

You mentioned putting Sophie in her cage when you go take a shower. Do you ever just take her with you? My boys love to sit on the shower curtain rod and have a good steam - and once in a blue moon they want in the water but not often. :-D

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I have a 150 lb and change Mastiff-Great Dane and he gives Ella rides on his back, and will help her scoot up when she misses hitting my leather sofa and lands on the edge, he boosts her bottom up so she is on top, but that is his nature always helpful. :smuggrin: They have already bonded. He was abused when I rescued him 7 yrs ago doesn't have a mean streak and doesn't even bark. I never leave them alone together out but in the same breath I don't feel I have too overly worry. Ella feeds him alllllllllll her carrots which she hates from her bowl, she throws them on floor and watches him eat them. :wacky:

Whitney my Umbrella who passed 9 years ago came into the household with a dog and 3 cats, it was hysterical watching all run together on the floor like they grew up together and it was normal. When my dog passed at 18 Whitney cried for him, we gave her his stuffed animals and she cuddle with them, it was very very difficult for her, he was part of her family.

Last edited:

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Hi EllaMay,

That is an awesome story; what a great dog!

EkkieLuv, I don't take Sophie in the shower with me. but I have a rubber perch and she LOVES getting showers. She gets soaked. I have her shower about once a week, but she'd do it daily if she could. I then run the hair dryer on low and she turns to and fro on her perch and lifts each wing, plucks her head feathers etc. It's pretty funny.