• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How would you describe the Amazon Parrot scent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The Amazons definitely have a musky smell and the large Macaws have yet another smell that is sweet. The greys have a smell similar to the Macaws and I find that it comes out when they get really worked up too or if they've been in the sun. Every bird seems to have a smell to it...I know my Ekkie and 'toos also have a distinctive smell. My guess would be that it's due to the natural pheromones they put off.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Have to be honest and say I do not like the smell that comes off our Jay the blue front. Thank goodness he loves the showers I give him as it cuts it by half!:)

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Amazons definitely have a musky smell and the large Macaws have yet another smell that is sweet. The greys have a smell similar to the Macaws and I find that it comes out when they get really worked up too or if they've been in the sun. Every bird seems to have a smell to it...I know my Ekkie and 'toos also have a distinctive smell. My guess would be that it's due to the natural pheromones they put off.
Hmmm, I wonder if the scent also serves as protection in the wild. If they smell like the fruit tree they are hiding in, a predator might not be able to scent them :huh:

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
I call Pico "Mr. Sweat Socks". It is in a good way, really :eek:

I'm pretty sure it is NOT the aroma of icky sweat socks but it is a strong smell that is not quite sweet. Roxie smells not as strong and more like baby powder.

Someone out here said there is nothing like the B&G smell. I agree with that big time. :D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

Hmmm, I wonder if the scent also serves as protection in the wild. If they smell like the fruit tree they are hiding in, a predator might not be able to scent them :huh:
Could be! I never thought of that! LOL!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Have to be honest and say I do not like the smell that comes off our Jay the blue front. Thank goodness he loves the showers I give him as it cuts it by half!:)
I'm not incredibly fond of the smell either Anne but I didn't like the smell of my Ekkie at first either and it grew on me....the one smell I cannot get enough of is Tuchis TAG who I think smells very much like a B&G but not quite. The B&G smell is even more heavenly and if I could bottle that and keep it with me forever I'd be happy forever!:)

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
the one smell I cannot get enough of is Tuchis TAG who I think smells very much like a B&G but not quite.
Mojo when stressed would have this strong stinky unpleasant odor, does Tuchis? Wondering if it's a TAG thing or Mojo specific:huh:

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
Charlie mealy smells very strong, you can smell him when you walk into the living room if he is happy or excited. You can smel him when you walk up to th cage most times,especially whe he's overdue for a bath.:D Kind of like a sweet musk, kind of like a ferret if you've ever smelled one..but sweeter and not as strong.:heart:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

Mojo when stressed would have this strong stinky unpleasant odor, does Tuchis? Wondering if it's a TAG thing or Mojo specific:huh:
I think it's a grey thing actually...Clancy smells sometimes too but Tuchis really smells after he's been outside or sometimes it happens at the vet's office when he's stressed out...I love the smell...it's almost a sweet smell, very similar to the B&Gs.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's a grey thing actually...Clancy smells sometimes too but Tuchis really smells after he's been outside or sometimes it happens at the vet's office when he's stressed out...I love the smell...it's almost a sweet smell, very similar to the B&Gs.
My CAGs don't, and this was not sweet, it was harsh and stinky.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

My CAGs don't, and this was not sweet, it was harsh and stinky.
Well, you'll just have to come visit Tuchis the Terrorist and smell him when he sits out in the sun!:)

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
I think Zon's have a musky smell, my question and maybe Titanis knows this is it because they don't have a uropygial gland? I know that macaws and cockatoo's have the uropygial gland and they have their own destintive sweet smells.

I learned in working at the rescue, that Hy's don't have the uropygial gland so Tanya do they have a sweet smell or a musky smell?
acually they do, and it not an oil like others, more of a powder.

when you have rasied and hand reared babies, you see em clear as day. just looks completly diffrent than
your avarge too or macaw gland.
as for my opinion. sam smeels BEAUTIFUL after a good breakfast. he smells like what he eats. :)
same with my babies. they always smell fresh like formula. until there eating fruits they smell delicious!! :dancing::lol:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

when you have rasied and hand reared babies, you see em clear as day. just looks completly diffrent than
as for my opinion. sam smeels BEAUTIFUL after a good breakfast. he smells like what he eats. :)
same with my babies. they always smell fresh like formula. until there eating fruits they smell delicious!! :dancing::lol:
Amazons do not have a a uropygial gland:

Taken from Those Amazing Amazons - Unlike most other members of the parrot group, Amazons don't have an uropygial gland (also called a preen gland).

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
they have something, iv seen it. and my vet told me it is.. idk. whatever it may be, its there;)

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I am totally enamored with the Amazon smell. I love, love, love it! I could sniff Max all day long if he would let me. I'd bottle it and keep it with me so I could have his scent with me all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Rico (mrh)has a bit of a musky smell to him. I can't sniff him too much or the dander sends me a sneezing! We're still working on what type of baths he likes most. In the shower he just sits, he growls at the spray bottle, next I'm going to try a dish with water.

Gypsy (ekkie) has a sweet smell. Harvey (patagonian) smells like skin...he's my nekkid chicken! :heart:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've hand raised a dozen or so yellow nape babies. Some from near hatching and I've never seen anything resembling a preen gland on them. Not even a bump at the base of the tail. Here's a couple pictures of one of my 2010 babies at about the age you would be able to see something at the tail base. Nothing there. If anyone who's raised other amazon babies has a pic of this gland, I'd like to see it. I've never seen a bump or anything resembling it on my Hy girl either. Its just smooth skin and feathers. Now in my quaker babies and parrotlets that I used to raise, the bump was obvious even before they really started to feather out. I'm wondering if maybe some amazon species have a little vestigial bump there that the yellow heads lack?
Melissa

Attachments

Last edited:

Euphoria

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
i dont know what to call sunni's scent.. its just her.. but i love just breathing her in when we snuggle.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Nicky (SC) has a fresh, wholesome smell almost like fresh birdseed. When he's hormonal, his scent changes to a musky, almost perfumy smell. I could parrot-sniff all day:heart::):heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.