• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How would you describe the Amazon Parrot scent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's how Wasabi is. When he emits that smell, I'll him Fruit Loop for the rest of the day. :lol:

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Hmm :huh: I wonder why parrots smell the way they do? I'm still trying to figure out what Bean smells like. :shrug:

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
This is a great thread. All my birds smell totally different. Ojos my new Zon kinda smells almost musky and fruity. My Brown Head Pi almost smells like cinnamon or spicey and my RB2 is just heavenly. I can't really explain the scent it's almost like a Thanksgiving turkey. I know that sounds completely horrible.

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
This is a great thread. All my birds smell totally different. Ojos my new Zon kinda smells almost musky and fruity. My Brown Head Pi almost smells like cinnamon or spicey and my RB2 is just heavenly. I can't really explain the scent it's almost like a Thanksgiving turkey. I know that sounds completely horrible.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It does sound horrible, but it's also horribly funny. Poor bird. That must be a bird's worst nightmare, to smell like something savory and edible!

CC smells sort of like what a book you haven't opened in years smells like. Dusty, dry, clean but disused. Not really musty or moldy, but....yeah. It's a weird smell.

Dovey to me smells like linens that have been out in the sun. Sort of a warm, comforting smell.

GlassOnion

My Cockatiel smells like drapes that have been in the same place sine the 80's with a bit of a honey-like sweet twist! :lol:

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
When Coco is wet, she smells like bark. When she is dry, she smells like maple syrup. During times of high hormones, she smells like maple syrup crossed with a musky bread as best I can describe it. But most of the time, she literally smells like maple syrup... delicious. Even the musky smell is not adverse though.

Lahdeedahdee

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I feel so left out here. Yes my two amazons have a scent and it stinks to high heaven. That's one of the reasons they get showered so much.

When I say, "You smell like a bird..." they know it's time for a shower. lol

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, Saemma, I needed that...!! :p :D

Perhaps I DO need her/him, but I made it a point not to ever get any bird approaching two decades or older in age. This bird is 18 years old. I don't know what I would be in store health-wise and the life expectancy because of it. I would be too concerned about that.
Titanis, Mojo (TAG) was 15 when she came to live with me. We only had 2 years and 4 months together, but even with the pain of losing her, I would NOT have missed it for the world. Don't let age deter you from the love and happiness you could have, no matter how short it might be :hug8::hug8::hug8:
This song describe how I feel about Mojo :heart:

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky

Titanis, Mojo (TAG) was 15 when she came to live with me. We only had 2 years and 4 months together, but even with the pain of losing her, I would NOT have missed it for the world. Don't let age deter you from the love and happiness you could have, no matter how short it might be :hug8::hug8::hug8:
This song describe how I feel about Mojo :heart:
:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting thread.Smelling Hiram as I type this:D I think he has a slight fruity leafy scent.Almost sweet smelling at times.Not sure that makes much sense.But to me its not an offensive smell.I adore it.:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting thread.Smelling Hiram as I type this:D I think he has a slight fruity leafy scent.Almost sweet smelling at times.Not sure that makes much sense.But to me its not an offensive smell.I adore it.:)
:hehe: I've been waiting to get the low down on Hiram's masculine scent..:D

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Olivia smells like a combination of fruit loops and roses :heart::heart::heart:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
When I first got my YNAs they smelled like urea (old concentrated urine). Now that they get regular baths, they don't smell as strong, but they do still smell line urea. Being a nurse, I thought of kidney failure but my vet said they are fine.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Olivia smells like a combination of fruit loops and roses :heart::heart::heart:
Sniffed her again, and need to add Lilacs and a soft musk :D:heart:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think Wasabi's mom said fruit loops. That comes about as close to accurate as I can think of. It smells like something incredibly familiar and happy. Like the best smell from my childhood that I can't quite put my finger on. That is when they are happy. Maybe more like fresh baked cookies combined with something fruity.

When stressed, sick or not frequently bathed its more of a dirty socks smell. I hate the way my car smells after I take my pair in for their annual vet trip. A lot of the time its also the smell of a bird fair and clings to anything I bring home from a bird fair. Macaw and stressed amazon smell. Not quite good.
Melissa

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
I think Zon's have a musky smell, my question and maybe Titanis knows this is it because they don't have a uropygial gland? I know that macaws and cockatoo's have the uropygial gland and they have their own destintive sweet smells.

I learned in working at the rescue, that Hy's don't have the uropygial gland so Tanya do they have a sweet smell or a musky smell?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hys have a distinctive macaw smell, but its not as strong as a blue and gold or GW and its nothing like the amazon smell. I don't think its from the preen gland. There have been a few times that I've seen a wisp of something escape from under the feathers around my amazon's face and neck if the light is just perfect. Not sure if that is the source of the sweet musky smell or not.
Melissa

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Ive heard they smell sweet and musky at the same time.. Wondering if the smell is from what they eat ??? Anyone know for sure?

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Having nursed all my life had lost my sense of smell! Funny thing is our blue front jay has a strong pungent aroma to me but John says he cannot smell anything on him. I give him his regular shower and it damps it down but is still there to a certain extent. Not the same smell as the Greys or chaz our macaw. If he is excited and worked up (which is often when I am around) the smell is at its strongest.

Status
Not open for further replies.