• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How would you describe the Amazon Parrot scent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
I've hand raised a dozen or so yellow nape babies. Some from near hatching and I've never seen anything resembling a preen gland on them. Not even a bump at the base of the tail. Here's a couple pictures of one of my 2010 babies at about the age you would be able to see something at the tail base. Nothing there. If anyone who's raised other amazon babies has a pic of this gland, I'd like to see it. I've never seen a bump or anything resembling it on my Hy girl either. Its just smooth skin and feathers. Now in my quaker babies and parrotlets that I used to raise, the bump was obvious even before they really started to feather out. I'm wondering if maybe some amazon species have a little vestigial bump there that the yellow heads lack?Melissa
It's not a bump if even a "nipple" I'm seeing. It's more a of a tube looking thing. And I had thought it was a broken feather. After seeing it never molted away I was take to an a-vet as he told me "leave it alone, it's there preening gland" Sams a yellow head. Well yellow crown. He told me they spread a powder like African greys. so idk if greys even have one And the white fronts have the same thing like the yellows. It's bare just like the images above. But idk what it is. I swere it's a broken feather but all of the zons iv seen have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.