• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, I am new here, and I.........

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So Handsome!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's very handsome and just check out those intense Amazon eyes.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What a personality though!

When you win him over...... oh man, you'll be one of us!

Parrotsrpeeple

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josh
Just one answer to every question on this forum, every single problem or complication or story or whatever! BIRDS... They are tough yet intelligent and whats the word, bi-polar. :dance1:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Danita, stop fairy dusting that bird. ;)

Get him a small java tree or some kinda stand, put a few toys and food on it and walk away. ;)

I don't have a grey but he is not like the toos or Kiwi. My amazons don't like to be slaved over. If I look at Echo at a time he is content and not wanting me he gets mad. Let him out but give him space. They don't want to be waited on hand and foot. ;)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Danita, stop fairy dusting that bird. ;)

Get him a small java tree or some kinda stand, put a few toys and food on it and walk away. ;)

I don't have a grey but he is not like the toos or Kiwi. My amazons don't like to be slaved over. If I look at Echo at a time he is content and not wanting me he gets mad. Let him out but give him space. They don't want to be waited on hand and foot. ;)
That sounds like a simple solution.
You don't know my husband and his issues with holes in the ceiling!

Hmmm, I could squeeze a stand in the middle of the room. The problem is, I have 7 birds and two of Aleta's stands. When some are out, they have to be separated.
I make things so complicated!

The Toos are friendly and they will visit everyone, but no one will have it and they will get hurt. Sid has actually killed another bird.
Newman-Timneh has so much hate in his heart that he can't be within 2 feet of anyone.
Cyd-Congo is a roamer, baseboard chewer, she has quite a bit of hate in her heart and will only let the Toos near her supervised.
Kiwi macaw has to be on her own because she doesn't like other birds.
Cujo-Amazon seems to like other birds but no one but the other Amazon will have it. He doesn't seem keen on the Toos
Sid-Amazon has killed so I can't have him near anyone really but Cujo.

So as you can see every bird needs to be supervised when they are out. I only have so much me.
I need 7 of Aleta's stands!

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Really? Mine would be finding a way to drop and roam...
Really?
Never had an amazon that 'dropped & roamed' , the ones we raised, and the foster amazons, never attempted to be on the floor. They had Java trees, climbing nets & ropes everywhere.
Our CAG's, on the other hand, were 'floor walkers'. Had to get creative to keep them from wandering.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Really?
Never had an amazon that 'dropped & roamed' , the ones we raised, and the foster amazons, never attempted to be on the floor. They had Java trees, climbing nets & ropes everywhere.
Our CAG's, on the other hand, were 'floor walkers'. Had to get creative to keep them from wandering.
Mine are clipped because I don't want a flying face attack (hubby would insist on a new home and my heart would break). Despite that, Secret routinely flies down from the small tree stand that I bought at the first Sidewalk Sale here on the avenue. She does a slow walk these days, not a rapid "here I come".

I gave Secret a bath after MC, came back to discover MC on Secret's stand looking as pleased as punch.

Lately during training when I put MC on the floor to do a step up to my hand.....he's bolting. First I thought it was the coffee table drawing him (metal rails under glass)...now I know better. Latest was to a wheel on his cage that he tried to regurgitate to.

So.....they're out, I'm close. Best safety I know of.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Amazons updates :lol:
Sid, wouldn't come out of his cage for a week and a half, decided he would come out. Then he wouldn't go back in. He slept on top of his cage for two nights.
Cujo who pays his rent with cute, has gotten a little silly. He loves it when I talk to him. I have touched his toes through the cage bars and his beak. He isn't fond of it, but he isn't running away in terror like he used to :)
Screaming still, but not where it was a bit ago, where he was beside himself.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And so it begins....

You need to find "THE" thing that Sid adores to get him back in the cage.

Secret? It's a sprig of shredded cheese for that bird. Put a little piece of shredded cheese across the perch and that bird will run you over to get in the cage. It's like Secret knows it's bad for her so grab it before it's taken back.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
By the way, MC and I began with the toe touch.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That sounds like a simple solution.
You don't know my husband and his issues with holes in the ceiling!

Hmmm, I could squeeze a stand in the middle of the room. The problem is, I have 7 birds and two of Aleta's stands. When some are out, they have to be separated.
I make things so complicated!

The Toos are friendly and they will visit everyone, but no one will have it and they will get hurt. Sid has actually killed another bird.
Newman-Timneh has so much hate in his heart that he can't be within 2 feet of anyone.
Cyd-Congo is a roamer, baseboard chewer, she has quite a bit of hate in her heart and will only let the Toos near her supervised.
Kiwi macaw has to be on her own because she doesn't like other birds.
Cujo-Amazon seems to like other birds but no one but the other Amazon will have it. He doesn't seem keen on the Toos
Sid-Amazon has killed so I can't have him near anyone really but Cujo.

So as you can see every bird needs to be supervised when they are out. I only have so much me.
I need 7 of Aleta's stands!

Do you know what happened to Newman, Sid and Cyd that made them so unhappy? Bless you for having those uhm, challenging birds. It really makes me sad when people (not you, of course) have made birds hate people. There are not many people who would give such birds safe haven.

I have a big smile just seeing that look in Cujo's eye. I've seen that same naughty gleeful expressin in W's eyes many a time. Cujo is so so handsome. Wasabi has a macaw cage, and it's also a bit of a challenge to see if he will go back in on his own or if he accepts some help and thanks me with a bite.